Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 04:39 PM

132 posts, read 304,565 times

Advertisements

Only thing IQ really tells us is how well you did/do in school. That's why I believe anyone with just an average IQ would not do very well in college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 05:36 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,991 times
IQ is a funny thing.

Getting through college is about many things, but self discipline and just showing up is a big part of it. Being a good test taker is sometimes a big part of it, as is the ability to memorize. I did very well in two science courses recently even though science isn't one of my strengths, but primarily I was able to memorize well for the multiple guess tests that were necessary because of large class sizes.

Having good writing skills will go a long way towards success in college classes too; I am always thrilled to get an essay type test because I know I can write well enough to score high even if it contains a bit of BS.

Now, back to IQ. I won't comment on my own, because I was never formally tested, but I have known plenty of people with college degrees that have made me wonder how they even got out of high school. On the flip side, I have personal experience with two people who had formal assessments and were considered to have "genius level" IQ.

The first is my ex. He went to an average suburban high school. He scored the highest SAT score in the history of his school (this was in the early 80s). He was awarded a full ride scholarship to a good school, for something STEM related. He screwed up and was booted out for disciplinary issues in his first year. He then went to some sort of tech school for a 2 year IT related degree. He made good money when he worked, gained a bunch of certifications and was paid really well because of his skills and knowledge in IT stuff. Problem is, he rarely was employed. He is an alcoholic with chronic depression who lives off his parents and hasn't worked aside from temp stuff in about a decade now.

Second genius: My brother. High school grad. Jailbird. Been in and out of prison most of his life. He is an artist, writes beautifully, extremely creative. Completed some certificate program for AutoCAD and did that work for a bit, and when he worked, he advanced very very quickly. He creates musical instruments by hand (guitars, other stringed instruments), has sold his artwork, has worked as a jailhouse "lawyer" for other inmates. Problem with him is he is incarcerated, and suffers a variety of mental illnesses that he tries to self medicate with drugs and alcohol.

Sorry so long, but I think it's interesting that the two most "officially" intelligent people I've had in my life both have had serious life coping issues and mental illness pretty much negating any success they might have enjoyed from having advanced intelligence. It's sad but it's something you hear about/read about pretty often. It's that whole "fine line between genius and insanity" thing, maybe? IDK.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:48 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
IQ is a funny thing.

Getting through college is about many things, but self discipline and just showing up is a big part of it. Being a good test taker is sometimes a big part of it, as is the ability to memorize. I did very well in two science courses recently even though science isn't one of my strengths, but primarily I was able to memorize well for the multiple guess tests that were necessary because of large class sizes.

Having good writing skills will go a long way towards success in college classes too; I am always thrilled to get an essay type test because I know I can write well enough to score high even if it contains a bit of BS.

Now, back to IQ. I won't comment on my own, because I was never formally tested, but I have known plenty of people with college degrees that have made me wonder how they even got out of high school. On the flip side, I have personal experience with two people who had formal assessments and were considered to have "genius level" IQ.

The first is my ex. He went to an average suburban high school. He scored the highest SAT score in the history of his school (this was in the early 80s). He was awarded a full ride scholarship to a good school, for something STEM related. He screwed up and was booted out for disciplinary issues in his first year. He then went to some sort of tech school for a 2 year IT related degree. He made good money when he worked, gained a bunch of certifications and was paid really well because of his skills and knowledge in IT stuff. Problem is, he rarely was employed. He is an alcoholic with chronic depression who lives off his parents and hasn't worked aside from temp stuff in about a decade now.

Second genius: My brother. High school grad. Jailbird. Been in and out of prison most of his life. He is an artist, writes beautifully, extremely creative. Completed some certificate program for AutoCAD and did that work for a bit, and when he worked, he advanced very very quickly. He creates musical instruments by hand (guitars, other stringed instruments), has sold his artwork, has worked as a jailhouse "lawyer" for other inmates. Problem with him is he is incarcerated, and suffers a variety of mental illnesses that he tries to self medicate with drugs and alcohol.

Sorry so long, but I think it's interesting that the two most "officially" intelligent people I've had in my life both have had serious life coping issues and mental illness pretty much negating any success they might have enjoyed from having advanced intelligence. It's sad but it's something you hear about/read about pretty often. It's that whole "fine line between genius and insanity" thing, maybe? IDK.
I also have a brother with a very high IQ. Dropped out of high school several months before graduation. He worked for a tree service, tried being an electrician but found he got claustrophic in small spaces, and ended up working as an assistant manager in a small electronics chain store. He's in his 40s now, in a LTR but not interested in marriage or children, and plays video games in his spare time.

I can't remember where I read this (Malcolm Gladwell book maybe?) There's the story of a woman who was returning to her hometown for some event, and the cab driver who picked her up from the airport was from town and knew her family. He said, "Oh, I remember you and your sister-were you the pretty one or the smart one?" That is how she and her sister were always known. She laughed and said, "I was the pretty one."

Because she had that label and always struggled with her grades while her sister got As easily, she worked very hard to get better grades. She had gone on to college and made a career for herself, rising up through the ranks. Meanwhile, her "smart" sister had sort of settled down into a quiet life and didn't do much as to distinguish herself in her own career. The one who had to work harder got farther, even though she didn't start out with the superior raw material.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:56 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
We always hear people talking about how difficult math is for them and how they have little aptitude for it. However, math is almost always taught purely, without tying the math into something that will interest most people. I never cared much for math in high school, as I was not interested in pure math and there was little reason for me to do more than the bare minimums in class.

Once I went into economics, learning math was fun because it was used to explain economics, which was far more interesting to me than math by itself. Once I had a reason to learn the math, I performed much better. I don't doubt that there are people who really are poor at math and excellent at writing, but I believe much of the "weakness" comes from people not being interested in math because it isn't be taught in a way that is interesting or relates to their lives.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:39 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
I have no idea what my IQ is. If I test and it's below 100, do I have to give my degrees back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I also have a brother with a very high IQ. Dropped out of high school several months before graduation. He worked for a tree service, tried being an electrician but found he got claustrophic in small spaces, and ended up working as an assistant manager in a small electronics chain store. He's in his 40s now, in a LTR but not interested in marriage or children, and plays video games in his spare time.
Sounds like he was the smart one after all.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:47 AM

919 posts, read 1,782,396 times
How smart are you if you take on tens of thousands of dollars in non mitigated debt in order to attend a public university? Not very. You ain't much smarter if you're doing that for a private one, as well.....

Old 06-11-2013, 12:22 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,396 times
Universities are spending quite a lot on their athletic programs, reason being, enrollment goes up when their teams appear on cable. Also, riots have occurred at universities when they've attempted to stop excessive drinking on or near campus.

If anyone bases their decision on which college to attend on how often a football team appears on tv, they're too stupid to be in college.

If anyone participates in a riot because they can't get more alcohol, they're too stupid to be in college.

By the looks of things, a lot of very stupid people are cluttering up USAAmerican colleges....

Old 06-11-2013, 05:30 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle92 View Post
Only thing IQ really tells us is how well you did/do in school. That's why I believe anyone with just an average IQ would not do very well in college.
Wow, this isn't just off base, it's not even in the same stadium.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:48 PM

25,959 posts, read 22,113,827 times
An IQ test tells you how you scored on a test. It doesn't take anything else into consideration like maybe you didn't sleep well the night before, missed breakfast, can only think about the opposite sex, the room is too cold or hot, you don't take tests seriously............................... IQ is a test score. So, big deal. IQ doesn't test commonsense or ambition which are the two things that actually make a difference in what one is able to accomplish in life.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:24 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,152 times
If people with Down Syndrome can graduate from college...then probably just about anyone can do it:

More youths with mental disabilities going to college - USATODAY.com

Heck, some of the lower-ranked law schools might even accept such graduates into their law school programs. I think the Coolie Law School in Michigan doesn't even require possession of a Bachelor's degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities