Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 05:38 PM

964 posts, read 3,160,080 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with doing this? This semester, I couldn't attend my classes because of my ft job being so demanding on my body.

So now, I'm in the process of getting all the paperwork done for transferring to another institution. However, if I withdraw from my current university, will it affect me because I've dropped all of my classes except one since the system won't allow me to drop it unless I withdraw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 05:22 AM

bump

Old 02-16-2010, 08:14 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
hmmm....what school are you transferring out of and what school are you transferring into?

To be honest, I do not think that wanting to transfer because your job is 'too demanding on your body' is an adequate reason to transfer. The new school is going to think that is a poor reason, too, and will assume that your job will also place the same ailments on your body while in attendance.

It is hard to tell to what capacity dropping your courses will affect you without further explanation of your concerns. To answer your question, yes it will, but in what manner depends on what exactly it is that you are asking.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:30 AM

That's just one of the reasons why I am transferring. The school I am looking at is in the same state. There are several reasons why and a change of pace is what I desperately need.

The city it's in offers many more opportunities for internships and job experience. I mean, it is in birmingham after all.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:01 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
It's a pretty straightforward process that someone in the academic advising office should be able to walk you through. Life happens; doubly so if you're a non-traditional student.

One thing to know is that most schools will place a hold on sending transcripts to your new school unless you're settled all financial obligations. So make sure that you owe them zero before heading out of town. Even unpaid parking tickets and library fines generally have to be settled for a transcript release.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:02 PM

The college in Birmingham is going to want to know why you dropped all of your courses. Unless you have a compelling reason, it might have looked better if you just stuck them through and received lower grades. It would depend on your situation, though, and perhaps might be to your advantage to enroll into a community college for at least one semester to prove that you are capable of performing as a student and that their really was something about your current school that is holding you back.

I am currently in the transfer process myself and it is a real pain in the behind. Tougher than applying as a freshman for sure.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:05 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
My daughter goes to a state college now and says a bunch of people jump from campus to campus on their quest for a degree. It's not uncommon at all.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:13 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
There are lots of people who transfer among undergraduate institutions, and especially if it's from one campus to another of a state university my guess, and it is only a guess, is that it won't be that hard.

If you were asking before you made the decision I'd probably have encouraged you to stick it out for the semester so you wouldn't be out the money for this semester, but that may be water under the bridge.

I agree with the poster who advised you to talk to your advisor or to the academic advisement office about what your best course of action is right now, and probably before you do anything irreversible.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:38 PM

Yes, students transfer all the time, but how difficult it is depends on how selective the school is that you are planning to transfer into. Don't assume that just because you are going from one state college to another (in the same state) that it would be easy. The new college is still going to heavily weigh their decision on why you want to leave your current college and what there is about the new college you feel with be of benefit to you.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:17 PM

Well, they've already accepted me. But right now, it's stressful trying to hold a full time job and go to school. and this is from only taking twelve hours. I've tried countless times to find a different job, but no avail. And it's affecting my grades. I got a D in Archaeology. I used to make As and Bs in college. I know I can do better but it's tough trying to add in study time in an hour on lunch breaks.

I'm constantly depressed at times and highly stressed out. I need a change of pace, a change of scenery. I need to put my education first and work second. I don't have any fines or anything, so I should be go to go.

And then some things my current school are doing I don't agree with, but that's a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities