Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What is good money? 60K? 600K?
According to Obama good money is 250k... >.<
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 07:26 AM

9 posts, read 13,147 times
The college that you attend must be accredited and have a extensive curriculum. Also, make sure that you have the knack for it.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:41 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Business degrees are worthwhile from less than top ranked schools, but I would say there is a point where they are meaningless as well. If you are going to a well-respected regional school it will be worth it, but if you are getting an online MBA from some degree mill, you might be laughed out of an interview...

Old 03-23-2010, 01:11 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,093,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post
or can you still make good money if you don't go to a top school?
Of course you can make good money if you don't go to a top school. Going to an elite college helps you get your foot in the door, but there are other ways to get your foot in the door as well. What matters most at the end of the day is how you perform therefore where your degree is from becomes less important as you gain experience.

I've never been fond of business degrees though, the programs are pretty low on substance.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:07 PM

279 posts, read 760,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Most of the CEO's of the fortune 500 companies went to State Universities. Where the Fortune 50 CEOs Went to College - TIME (I love this link!)
LOL at AIG on that list

Old 03-23-2010, 04:32 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,922 times
Are you talking an MBA or an undergrad degree?

I got my BS in business (Information Systems & Operations Mgmt) from a state school. The b-school on campus had an awesome career center, went above and beyond bringing employers to campus, and helped me find both a good internship and good job after graduation. 97% of graduates had either full time jobs or grad school acceptances within 6 months of graduation--that says the degree is worth something to me.

True, I would have had a hard time going into ibanking from a state school, but it wasn't what I wanted to do. I am getting paid a very solid salary right now, so I'm content. (And funny enough, I sit next to a business major from Columbia, and a Yale grad...we all make within 5-10% of each other)

Having a name like Harvard or MIT at the top of your resume gets you an interview, but you still have to prove your stuff just like anyone from any school does.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:38 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,893,336 times
Harvard Business School, Wharton, are entirely different worlds. You'll have different career trajectories, different networks to tap into, different doors that open up that wouldn't otherwise, etc.

But still, a lot of business success can't be taught in the classroom. They can't give you a test for passion or drive. How many Forbes 400 members don't have a harvard or wharton degree? How many didn't even go to college or dropped out? It's a high number.

I went to a very low state school (not on any national rankings I dont think). Honestly, many of the prof's there in the business dept didnt really know what they were doing. Some didnt know if we were in a real estate bubble (this was early 2000's california). None of them could have predicted the economic collapse of 07/08. There are limits to the models they teach in a classroom. Ego, greed, stupidty, etc aren't covered in business books in college (for whatever reason). Even though they impact much of the business and economic world.

You have to supplement your business degree with material outside of the classroom to know whats going on. I think the degrees are sort of hollow and empty. Its not like engineering or medicine. There's so much that isn't cover in a classroom.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:33 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
In my business administration classes they covered issues about greed and corruption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Harvard Business School, Wharton, are entirely different worlds. You'll have different career trajectories, different networks to tap into, different doors that open up that wouldn't otherwise, etc.

But still, a lot of business success can't be taught in the classroom. They can't give you a test for passion or drive. How many Forbes 400 members don't have a harvard or wharton degree? How many didn't even go to college or dropped out? It's a high number.

I went to a very low state school (not on any national rankings I dont think). Honestly, many of the prof's there in the business dept didnt really know what they were doing. Some didnt know if we were in a real estate bubble (this was early 2000's california). None of them could have predicted the economic collapse of 07/08. There are limits to the models they teach in a classroom. Ego, greed, stupidty, etc aren't covered in business books in college (for whatever reason). Even though they impact much of the business and economic world.

You have to supplement your business degree with material outside of the classroom to know whats going on. I think the degrees are sort of hollow and empty. Its not like engineering or medicine. There's so much that isn't cover in a classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities