Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 02:11 PM

103 posts, read 205,245 times

Advertisements

any careers that can possibly get with my degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 08:25 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,331,294 times
Typically, the only jobs available to environmental scientists are those with the government and those with consulting firms that do Environmental Impact Statements (EIS) and other types of government-mandated environmental surveys before development can begin.

Does your B.S. degree mean that you are taking Calculus? If so, good. From my university days, I know that it was usually Calculus that determined if a degree was the B.S. or the B.A.

Learn how to read environmental laws such as N.E.P.A., RCRAA, and a whole host of other acronyms. Consulting firms want people conversant with such laws, i.e., know what companies must do to get government approval for development projects. And, yes, you have to embrace development. Those are the companies that pay the wages.

One way to see what kind of jobs are possible with a particular degree is to see what working people have in their academic background. For example, the following link shows the contributors to an EIS concerning a proposed bridge development in Alaska (Knik Arm). As you can see, a lot of the people who worked on the project have environmental/ecological academic backgrounds. A former boss of mine worked on this project which is how I came across the list.

http://www.knikarmbridge.com/FEIS%20...s%20121807.pdf

I have a B.S. and M.S. in earth sciences, and have worked for both the federal government and private consulting firms. I wish that I had gone to work for a coal-mining company, because they pay quite well. As you get older, money does seem to become more important in decision-making.

Last edited by Teak; 03-01-2010 at 08:50 PM..

Old 03-01-2010, 09:51 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,095 times
You wait until your junior year in college to ask this question?

You reap what you sow, buddy.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:40 PM

103 posts, read 205,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
You wait until your junior year in college to ask this question?

You reap what you sow, buddy.
of course i know *******. i just asking any possible companis, organizations, stuff like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities