Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 01:35 PM

994 posts, read 1,682,490 times

Advertisements

Ohhh boo hooo...the entitled child didn't get his way so he threw a tantrum. Cry me a river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 07:46 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,011,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
Ohhh boo hooo...the entitled child didn't get his way so he threw a tantrum. Cry me a river.
Yep.

Once again, kid has no 'rights' to go to Africa with a college. He really has no right to even be IN college. I'd be pissed if I was a professor and expected to teach a 13 year old in college. It's assumed that everyone attending college is a mature adult(yes I know, not actually a reality that they are mature), why should he be catered to?

Old 03-16-2010, 07:51 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Yep.

Once again, kid has no 'rights' to go to Africa with a college. He really has no right to even be IN college. I'd be pissed if I was a professor and expected to teach a 13 year old in college. It's assumed that everyone attending college is a mature adult(yes I know, not actually a reality that they are mature), why should he be catered to?
I don't think it's a matter of him being catered to. Obviously, that's not the case otherwise there wouldn't be a story. But, he's fighting to get what he can out of his education. Why any of you fault him for that, well, it's not terribly difficult to figure.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:56 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,475,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Yep.

I am a freshman in college and this 13 year old would probably be easier for the professors to deal with than some of my 18 year old classmates. There are plenty of 17 year olds in college and no one complains that they're allowed to be in college, even though they're minors too.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:18 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,246,631 times
I bet this Colin character plays Quiddich.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:56 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,830,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I guess they don't offer online courses.
I guess you don't know how to read the link provided?

Old 03-22-2010, 04:16 PM

924 posts, read 1,645,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't think it's a matter of him being catered to. Obviously, that's not the case otherwise there wouldn't be a story. But, he's fighting to get what he can out of his education. Why any of you fault him for that, well, it's not terribly difficult to figure.
Actually, I'd disagree with you as well Braunwyn. There's plenty to occupy his time in the States, which is a hell of a lot safer than South Africa. Buy the kid a scooter or nerf gun, that should keep him preoccupied until he's older.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Actually, I'd disagree with you as well Braunwyn. There's plenty to occupy his time in the States, which is a hell of a lot safer than South Africa. Buy the kid a scooter or nerf gun, that should keep him preoccupied until he's older.
I do agree that it's safer that he doesn't go for all involved, but why should he do exactly what most would do when he's capable of more and wants more? And I don't get the resentment tone in this thread. Not everybody fits the typical mold.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:27 PM

924 posts, read 1,645,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I do agree that it's safer that he doesn't go for all involved, but why should he do exactly what most would do when he's capable of more and wants more? And I don't get the resentment tone in this thread. Not everybody fits the typical mold.
There's no resentment, the college clearly doesn't want to be a liability.

I don't see why the kid should skip his childhood entirely (though he arguably has already). Plus, like others said, he seems to think he's entitled to whatever he damn well pleases.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
There's no resentment, the college clearly doesn't want to be a liability.
I'm speaking of resentment coming from this thread, not the college. That's what I'm sensing at least.

Quote:
I don't see why the kid should skip his childhood entirely (though he arguably has already). Plus, like others said, he seems to think he's entitled to whatever he damn well pleases.
Successful people, on average, fight for their success. There's nothing wrong with that and there's nothing wrong with trying. I give him credit for that. Besides, suggesting that he should follow the herd is pretty silly. How he managed in one year to have enough credits to be at the senior level, with two majors and a 3.9 gpa, I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities