Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 02:11 PM

30 posts, read 85,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
Do you have any reason other than the weather to move to Palm Desert?
Well, for various reasons. I'm not looking for a party school. I'm looking for a city where you can ride the bike or walk to everything. It seems like a nice city in general, crime is low for one. The bad side might be the old and quite small population (50-60 000), but it's a short drive to bigger cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Not all community colleges are 'about the same' in quality. Like I said, COD is basically a vocational school. It helps mechanics and lawn care workers get a certification that may help them earn a higher wage. It's not really the same as other community colleges that are more like 'university prep' schools, with matriculation to universities almost a given.

It would also probably be helpful to start at the end: talk to the 4-yr institutions that you are interested in, and work backwards to the community college that they will accept. You need to find out:

1)what their transfer admissions criteria is. Most schools will look at a variety of criteria: the quality of the institution, the difficulty of your coursework, your GPA, your test scores, your student activities, et cetera.

2)what courses they will transfer. As said above, some universities have matriculation programs whereby all of your coursework is accepted. But other programs will have only a limited list of transferable coursework. You need to find out how much will transfer before you enroll. Ask to see the 'transfer curriculum guide' before you make your final choice. Confirm this information with the university too, don't just take the community college's word. Also be sure to note if there is a grade threshold you must meet to transfer. Many universities won't accept a transfer grade of less than a B.

Look at Santa Monica College, Pasadena City College, and Long Beach City College. You'll probably notice that they all have the same pricing: $190 for transfer students + $26 per unit. That is because they are all part of a fixed-price university system. The state sets the pricing. And the state also sets the curriculum and program criteria, which helps ensure that their credits are transferable. COD's pricing is a bit different and that is because they aren't part of that regulated system. It is a sign that their curriculum is not as transferable or their program quality the same as others.

Generally, students only take general ed and electives at the community college level, and take degree-specific courses at the university. So it isn't really necessary that the community college you attend have a 'business administration' program.
I will contact some 4-year universities and find out more about what they want from the community college.

College of the Desert is a part of the regulated pricing system you are talking about. So that's not correct.

Regarding the BA program it can be found here:
Business Administration (http://www.collegeofthedesert.edu/students/ss/ap/BusHospIndustries/Pages/BusinessAdministration.aspx - broken link)
So you're saying that I should only take the general education on the community college and then transfer? Is that even possible, for all I know most students stay at the CC for 2 years and then transfer for another 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michimaize View Post
Personally, I can't think of any community college with an accredited business program - isn't accreditation reserved for 4 year schools? The school itself is accredited by the Western Association of Schools & Colleges, which accredits all the other schools (UCLA, USC, etc). The point of an academic program at a community college is to prepare you to transfer to a 4 year school to continue to pursue a bachelors degree. If you transfer to a school with an AACSB program, then you'll have an accredited degree. I know plenty of successful people who went to schools without an AACSB are are quite successful. For entry level positions, I don't see that it matters. Any position where accreditation might matter is going to require or prefer an MBA anyways, and you can enter those programs without an undergrad degree in business, so an "unaccredited" business program at the undergrad level doesn't even matter.

As far as the school being a "vocational" school, all of the community colleges in my area have technical programs including automotive, welding, construction, manufacturing, CAD, Culinary Arts, Turfgrass, Nursing, etc, alongside the academic transfer programs. Most community colleges are set up that way.
Ok, now you really got me confused.

You and kodaka are saying the opposite things. But your view is more like mine.

Let me put it this way:
I want to study on a CC for 2 years, I want my associate's degree to be transferable to the bigger 4-year universities in California. According to COD's website, the Business administration program is transferable, I just need to make sure that I choose the right math courses and stuff like that depending on what the univeristy I am looking to apply to requires. I don't want to study courses that doesn't count/ are transferable, what should I do to make sure of this? What program would I be choosing in this list then:
http://www.collegeofthedesert.edu/students/ss/ap/Pages/default.aspx (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 03:16 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Quote:
So you're saying that I should only take the general education on the community college and then transfer? Is that even possible, for all I know most students stay at the CC for 2 years and then transfer for another 2 years.
No, I'm saying it might not be possible to transfer degree-specific courses. You need to contact the universities you are interested in and see what they say. Each university is going to be different, and each community college's coursework is different.

Generally universities don't want to accept transfer credits for degree-specific classes because it is their courses that establish the rigor and reputation of their school. If they award degrees based on degree classes that you took somewhere else, then their degrees aren't worth very much.

Quote:
I want to study on a CC for 2 years, I want my associate's degree to be transferable to the bigger 4-year universities in California.
You can't transfer the degree. It is only coursework that transfers, and the university doesn't accept your associate's degree as a whole package. Instead the university will pick apart your transcript and decide which courses to accept and which ones not to accept. When they are done, they will likely have decided that you have completed some sophomore and junior-level coursework and yet still need to take some freshman-level coursework. The fact that the collection of coursework you took at community college level cumulatively equalled an Associate's degree by the community college's standards really means nothing to the university.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:24 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Quote:
As far as the school being a "vocational" school, all of the community colleges in my area have technical programs including automotive, welding, construction, manufacturing, CAD, Culinary Arts, Turfgrass, Nursing, etc, alongside the academic transfer programs. Most community colleges are set up that way.
AS I SAID, some schools are like that, some aren't.

The schools I recommended OP take a look at are specifically designed for students transferring. They offer programs in Business. Pre-Law. Pre-Medicine. Health Sciences. Engineering. Arts.

There is definitely a world of difference in the academic experience in a school that offers these programs, and one that teaches 'Turf Grass Management" and "General Automotive Repair"--which is what COD does.

Yes, there are values in each of these kinds of programs. But not the same value to every student. The former is intended for students who plan to matriculate to a university. The latter is intended for students who aren't planning to go any further in their education than the community college.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:57 PM

55 posts, read 151,483 times
I attended College of the Desert for a semester in 1972 and for a summer session in 1974...so my impressions are very dated. At the time I was able to transfer all my credits (with the exception of one speech class) to the University of California. Best to check with the college or University you are thinking about transfering to to see what transfer credits they would accept.
I'll be glad to answer any additional questions you may have.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
No, I'm saying it might not be possible to transfer degree-specific courses. You need to contact the universities you are interested in and see what they say. Each university is going to be different, and each community college's coursework is different.

Generally universities don't want to accept transfer credits for degree-specific classes because it is their courses that establish the rigor and reputation of their school. If they award degrees based on degree classes that you took somewhere else, then their degrees aren't worth very much.

You can't transfer the degree. It is only coursework that transfers, and the university doesn't accept your associate's degree as a whole package. Instead the university will pick apart your transcript and decide which courses to accept and which ones not to accept. When they are done, they will likely have decided that you have completed some sophomore and junior-level coursework and yet still need to take some freshman-level coursework. The fact that the collection of coursework you took at community college level cumulatively equalled an Associate's degree by the community college's standards really means nothing to the university.
So basically what I need to do is to contact all the universities I am interested in and ask whether they accept the degree-specific classes I will be taking if I end up at COD with the Business Admin. program. Thank you for your help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchoparque View Post
I attended College of the Desert for a semester in 1972 and for a summer session in 1974...so my impressions are very dated. At the time I was able to transfer all my credits (with the exception of one speech class) to the University of California. Best to check with the college or University you are thinking about transfering to to see what transfer credits they would accept.
I'll be glad to answer any additional questions you may have.
Do you live in the area today? Since your impressions are very dated it's hard to know what I could ask you. If you have anything of current interest then please share it!

Old 03-23-2010, 04:16 PM

I visit the area from time to time. COD has a very popular swap meet on the campus every weekend. You should have no problem finding out information online about Coachella Valley weather and activities. You are aware that summers in the lower desert are very hot?
I doubt the academic experience at COD would be a high quality one these days, but it may be a cheap and easy way to pick up some credits.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I visit the area from time to time. COD has a very popular swap meet on the campus every weekend. You should have no problem finding out information online about Coachella Valley weather and activities. You are aware that summers in the lower desert are very hot?
I doubt the academic experience at COD would be a high quality one these days, but it may be a cheap and easy way to pick up some credits.
I'm aware of the weather. But I will most likely spend most of the summers in Sweden (no summer school).

How come you have doubts about the quality of the education there, what makes it different from other community colleges?

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2010, 04:42 PM

I can't really comment on specific programs. As other posters have said, quality of community colleges vary from school to school. You could contact the college or specific instructors for more information on the program. They could tell you about transfer rates to four year colleges and more details about the classes. I enjoyed my time attending COD. Perhaps a librarian in your home country could assist you in doing an information search?

Old 03-23-2010, 11:43 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,874 times
If you really want to go there, do the research and then go. Just know not everything might transfer. It is a nice area, though. I like it a lot. Weather is nice. Hope you do what works best for you...Just think that it could be a nice intro to CA with a little less intensity than a 4-year program. Worst case, you make up some credits.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
I can't really comment on specific programs. As other posters have said, quality of community colleges vary from school to school. You could contact the college or specific instructors for more information on the program. They could tell you about transfer rates to four year colleges and more details about the classes. I enjoyed my time attending COD. Perhaps a librarian in your home country could assist you in doing an information search?
I didn't ask you to comment on specific programs. Since you said that you doubt the academic experience would be of high quality I just wondered what made you doubt.

I think I can handle the information search by myself, I know everything about how to attend, the only thing I need to find out is if the universities I want to attend will approve all of my courses or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidrah View Post
If you really want to go there, do the research and then go. Just know not everything might transfer. It is a nice area, though. I like it a lot. Weather is nice. Hope you do what works best for you...Just think that it could be a nice intro to CA with a little less intensity than a 4-year program. Worst case, you make up some credits.
Thanks, the area seems great, when I've found out more about what will transfer and if the result is good then I will attend COD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities