Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:13 AM

484 posts, read 2,210,542 times

Advertisements

Hey I really am interested in this topic ever since the financial collapse of 08.
Anywas needing to choose an important decision, my major and school I really need peoples opinions and expertise. As the economic shift has slowly started to shift to the East/Asia and lots of business majors not finding jobs, I am wanting an anwer but cannot find it.

I have found the IBCE track at USC very interesting but unfotunately only 20 students are selected a year and it has to be for 4 straight years, while I am a transfer student with almost 2 years finished under my belt at a cc.
IBCE Track | The Moore School of Business | University of South Carolina (http://mooreschool.sc.edu/undergrad/globalexperience/ibcetrack.aspx - broken link)
The IBCE track is majoring in intl business and another business major while you go to school 2 years in US and 2 years in Hong Kong while you learn CHinese and in your last year, intern at Hong Kong. When I found this program, I was immediately hooked and found a calling or an opportunity.
Unfortunately like I have said, I am a transfer system and the competition is very fierce.

1. If anyone knows or can help me find programs similar to this, please let me know.
2. After the collapse of Lehman, I am not entirely sure about the future of Finance. If anyone has any perspective or more knowledge about the future of China and where there are oppotunities please let me know.

etc:I have been on this forum always asking questions and when I have thought I chose something as a major and school, I research into more things and change my mind. But if I can find a program similar to IBCE with a huge emphasis on China please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 01:04 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,581 times
I'd stick with the finance track and take as many Chinese language courses as possible (granted, it IS very difficult). Sure the job market is difficult for recent grads, but finance is nonetheless one of the best bets out there.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:20 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,490 times
I was going to say the same thing. I know nothing about the program you were talking about, but foreign languages would be great to have, always will be. Business programs are a good bet to stick with, too. Things are not always going to stay like they are. Get as much knowledge as you can now. WOuld you be willing to re-do those 2 years in a different program? Is it allowed?

Old 03-27-2010, 11:45 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
It sounds like you are only going to college with the hopes of making money afterwards. With that, I would stick with your chosen major and not worry about 'the next best thing'. The successful business, finance, and economics majors are the one's that have a go-for-it attitude. That is, they go for every opportunity that presents itself, and create opportunities where none exist if need be. They don't just sit around and wait for something to fall into their lap. That is true with any state of economy, and to be realistic, for any major. Not to sound corny, but you are not going to get the gold if you do not have the guts.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:54 AM

484 posts, read 2,210,542 times
finance and international business are what i love. if i can add chinese to that and if there is a program that combines that, thats what i love. In fact even if physics or engineering was going to be the next thing i wouldnt do it just because.

I just want and am looking for a business program/school focuses on the growth of Asia.
So if anyone knows of programs similar to the IBCE please let me know ./

Old 03-28-2010, 11:35 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
Hey I really am interested in this topic ever since the financial collapse of 08.
Anywas needing to choose an important decision, my major and school I really need peoples opinions and expertise. As the economic shift has slowly started to shift to the East/Asia and lots of business majors not finding jobs, I am wanting an anwer but cannot find it.

I have found the IBCE track at USC very interesting but unfotunately only 20 students are selected a year and it has to be for 4 straight years, while I am a transfer student with almost 2 years finished under my belt at a cc.
IBCE Track | The Moore School of Business | University of South Carolina (http://mooreschool.sc.edu/undergrad/globalexperience/ibcetrack.aspx - broken link)
The IBCE track is majoring in intl business and another business major while you go to school 2 years in US and 2 years in Hong Kong while you learn CHinese and in your last year, intern at Hong Kong. When I found this program, I was immediately hooked and found a calling or an opportunity.
Unfortunately like I have said, I am a transfer system and the competition is very fierce.

1. If anyone knows or can help me find programs similar to this, please let me know.
2. After the collapse of Lehman, I am not entirely sure about the future of Finance. If anyone has any perspective or more knowledge about the future of China and where there are oppotunities please let me know.

etc:I have been on this forum always asking questions and when I have thought I chose something as a major and school, I research into more things and change my mind. But if I can find a program similar to IBCE with a huge emphasis on China please let me know.
The combo of quantitative economics and biophysics would work well for most.

Another would be financial engineering and law.

There is Philosophy, Politics, and Economics.

Then there is philosophy or economics and material science engineering.

Left Brain & Right Brain, all rigour, no fluff.

S.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:41 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,162,376 times
25 yrs ago the Japanese were supposed to take over world; today, the scam is China

Would focus on acquiring strong job-relevant skills in finance, accounting, taxes, stats, computer science and business English (not useless foreign languages)

Figure out where world's smartest and wealthiest <50yo guys work...in which industries and where are their offices based

For all the mythicism about China or India (or Japan or Germany), each lacks notable engineering grad schools or valuable, innovative, new companies or technologies

Making cheap underwear or shoes for WalMart...or doing cheap call-center/IT outsourcing work only goes so far in an increasingly commoditized/virtualized/automated world where cos. like Apple have their stuff made in cheapest, best quality poss locale, but founders, engineering and wealth largely reside/work in SiliconValley, not outside US

Old 03-28-2010, 01:14 PM

207 posts, read 963,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
It sounds like you are only going to college with the hopes of making money afterwards.
This is such a strange statement... what did you go to college for? Kicks?

Old 03-29-2010, 05:46 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socstudent View Post
This is such a strange statement... what did you go to college for? Kicks?
I certainly did not go to college with anything monetary in mind, I was just having a blast learning about all sorts of new things. I spent 5 years as an undergrad and changed my major 3 times. None of them were particularly great in terms of direct job opportunities.

I think the fixation on careers in higher education is strange and ultimately counterproductive. The job market, especially today, is always in a state of flux and a career oriented education can lose its value rather quickly. On the other hand someone with a firm grasp of the fundamentals can adapt to a changing labor market.

I know a number of engineers, physicists, etc that are making decent money right now. But many of these guys lack depth (educationally) not only in general but also in their field. What happens when the military reduces their spending on XYZ, what happens when the major players decide to move operations to India, etc? They are often screwed and at best can find an entry level position within another sub-field that is still actively hiring within their field.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:58 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
[quote=user_id;13499997 I think the fixation on careers in higher education is strange and ultimately counterproductive. The job market, especially today, is always in a state of flux and a career oriented education can lose its value rather quickly. On the other hand someone with a firm grasp of the fundamentals can adapt to a changing labor market.
[/quote]

Maybe someone who is independently wealthy goes to college for enrichment but most people go to college because they believe it will make them more useful to society and as an economic consequence reward them financially.

This idea that college is a place for enrichment sounds like something that comes from academic idealists who do not understand how the real world works. If colleges don't get with the program and offer what individuals and employers are demanding they will find themselves struggling for existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities