Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 02:59 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times

Advertisements

Looking for schools currently and just looking to get everyone's opinions on these things:

For those who graduated from college or a university

What college/university did you go to?
Rate that college/university on a scale 1-10
List what you majored in and what level of degree you obtained
And
List the pros and cons of the school you went to and if you would attend again if you knew the type of experience you would have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 03:25 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Looking for schools currently and just looking to get everyone's opinions on these things:

For those who graduated from college or a university

What college/university did you go to?
Rate that college/university on a scale 1-10
List what you majored in and what level of degree you obtained
And
List the pros and cons of the school you went to and if you would attend again if you knew the type of experience you would have
University of Miami
Sophmore
It is a great school with professors and advisors who are willing to work with you, i'm transfering and moving to Los Angeles to go to UCLA because I want to be a Chemical Engineer and it is nearly non-existant in Miami. I love the university and everything about it, and will always be a Cane, but just couldn't afford it and especially because they didn't have the main course I want to do now.

I was Biochemistry/Pre-Dental for that reason Miami was an awesome choice, I have decided to take another path.

I would attend this school time after time over just about any university in this nation, the only problem is the didn't offer chemical engineering, and well, that has become the dealbreaker, on top of that there are no chem engineering jobs in Miami. Time to start over again in LA

Old 05-19-2010, 05:45 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
You might want to go here: Browse Colleges - Find College There are literally hundreds of college reviews.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:39 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
You might want to go here: Browse Colleges - Find College There are literally hundreds of college reviews.
oh yes i enjoy this site quite a bit. however the reason i started this thread is just because i am interested in more personal aspects of it instead of say....oh that looks like my kind of school and look at that...im basically hoping someone will post in this thread a school i haven't heard of or maybe something i haven't heard about a school i do know of idk

Old 05-19-2010, 08:01 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Brandeis University
Graduate with a BA in international and global studies (global environment and development track) and politics, minors in Latin American studies and environmental studies on Sunday

What I like best is the small size. We're only a bit about 3000 undergrads in total. To me, that even feels a bit big so I couldn't imagine ever going to a larger school. We all know each other and go to bat for one another. I also love the student body. We're a very competitive school that's largely self selecting- most of my friends applied to the Ivies, Brandeis, and one safety. We're all very "intellectual" and competitive, but not cutthroat between each other. Most people take their education extraordinarily seriously. The atmosphere here is often compared to that of UChicago.

The biggest issues are the lack of "practical" fields of study. We have computer science- that's it. We are finally getting a business major starting next year, but have not up until now. All of our majors are very theoretical, which is what attracted me to the school but with the job market as bad as it is, employers are not particularly imaginative about potential employees' backgrounds. While my majors are very quant heavy with significant economics and science coursework required, most employers *only* see a liberal arts background. It's a shame. We also just don't have coursework in "practical" areas. I had to really push just to get in a GIS class.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:16 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
University of Mary Washington (Mary Washington College)
I ended up with a BS in Economics

For me, this school was just about perfect. I liked the size (~4,000 undergrad), location, and overall atmosphere (generally friendly, professors who loved to teach, community feeling, etc). Their economics program (along with a lot of other programs) was very good, and I felt extremely prepared when it came time to find a job. Since its focus is still on undergraduate work (the graduate school is small and mostly for adult students) there were decent opportunities available for undergraduate research that might have been ignored at other schools.

As far as "cons", there's a flipside to the small size. While you've got smaller classes, more attention from your professors, etc, there's also fewer classes to choose from. For me it wasn't an issue, but if you decided to go into something like engineering you're SOL. Granted, with a little research that's somewhat easy to avoid. Also, since it's small you don't have "the name", though honestly I haven't really seen much benefit to having "the name" for your undergraduate degree (I have the same job and salary as Ivy Leaguers, as do several of my former classmates).

While at times I wonder what it would have been like to go to a "big" school, I'd gladly re-do everything again the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities