Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 10:40 AM

53 posts, read 186,479 times

Advertisements

Hello! I've been wondering about this for a while. It seems everywhere I look nowadays people are bashing psychology majors as being dim and vapid airheads. I must have heard this on at least 15 different occasions, usually targeting stupid, superficial girls going for this major. This was actually a huge reason I decided to go for for a different major.

But I remember in my teens I had a genuine interest in the field, not because I was an airhead or couldn't excel in another area (always excelled in math and biology) but because I have suffered from severe OCD since the age of 12 which obviously put me in close contact with mental health professionals and inspired me to want to help other people in my situation or other types of severe and disabling mental illness. (OCD when it's severe is no walk in the park, especially for a child so I cringe to think that these children and adults' only hope will be an army of vacuous girls :/).

Unfortunately, I must admit that I have found some merit to the stereotype. One of my older cousins who we all considered unintelligent went for this very major. Coincidence? maybe, but it does make one reevaluate things. I guess I want to know how this stereotype started. Also, do you personally feel that it holds true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 10:43 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,111 times
I never knew Psych majors had a bad rep.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:46 AM

934 posts, read 1,937,977 times
Me neither...Arby's and Burger King love them.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:01 PM

37,796 posts, read 40,996,819 times
I bailed on a psych major because it was too inexact to suit me, however, 3 classes that I had to take as a psych major and that were to my liking (statistics, research methodolgy, research methodology lab) were very helpful to me throughout my analytical non-psych career.

I don't look down on Psychology majors, just Psychologists. <kidding, somebody has to do all of that touchy feely stuff>

Old 07-23-2012, 12:18 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
I've never heard of it or its students having a bad rep.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:23 PM

69 posts, read 268,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameradin View Post
Hello! I've been wondering about this for a while. It seems everywhere I look nowadays people are bashing psychology majors as being dim and vapid airheads. I must have heard this on at least 15 different occasions, usually targeting stupid, superficial girls going for this major. This was actually a huge reason I decided to go for for a different major.

But I remember in my teens I had a genuine interest in the field, not because I was an airhead or couldn't excel in another area (always excelled in math and biology) but because I have suffered from severe OCD since the age of 12 which obviously put me in close contact with mental health professionals and inspired me to want to help other people in my situation or other types of severe and disabling mental illness. (OCD when it's severe is no walk in the park, especially for a child so I cringe to think that these children and adults' only hope will be an army of vacuous girls :/).

Unfortunately, I must admit that I have found some merit to the stereotype. One of my older cousins who we all considered unintelligent went for this very major. Coincidence? maybe, but it does make one reevaluate things. I guess I want to know how this stereotype started. Also, do you personally feel that it holds true?

Unless you are hearing about the job prospects, then I never heard of Psychology major having a bad rep.

If you major in Psychology for Associate's and Bachelor's, you will not get a job as a Psychologist or as a Therapist because you need to go to graduate school for those and take the licensing exams.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:34 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
I bailed on a psych major because it was too inexact to suit me...
Well, there you go.

It's not that they have a "bad" reputation, just that they are not considered "serious".

Psychology, Communications, Early Childhood Ed are all considered "Girl" majors, meaning they are easy and inexact (i.e., touchy-feely). Girls with those degrees typically work at Arby's and Burger King, as someone already said, or are getting a master's degree in something else so they can go on to become a teacher.

Don't get me started on Ethnic Studies.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:30 PM

53 posts, read 186,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Well, there you go.

It's not that they have a "bad" reputation, just that they are not considered "serious".

Psychology, Communications, Early Childhood Ed are all considered "Girl" majors, meaning they are easy and inexact (i.e., touchy-feely). Girls with those degrees typically work at Arby's and Burger King, as someone already said, or are getting a master's degree in something else so they can go on to become a teacher.

Don't get me started on Ethnic Studies.
Yeah this is closer to what I've been hearing but it was a bit harsher as in people believing that the major attracts the dumbest girls (not just women or sensitive/hippy people). Philosophy is arguably inexact too but, strangely, I never heard any bashing of its students.

I agree with the people who said that psychology is not for someone who only wants a 4 year degree, though. It's probably the least employable degree out there (besides ethnic studies lol) at the Bachelor's level. I guess some people who major in it may be hoping to go on to graduate school and then life events cause them to postpone/forgo that and then end up unemployable, which is kind of sad.

I'm surprised so many people are unaware of the sentiment out there about psychology majors, though.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:36 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
Me neither...Arby's and Burger King love them.
Hahaha can't deny that.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:14 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,232,261 times
They don't with me. It's a rather broad major that can lend itself to many careers and graduate programs.

It doesn't box a student in but opens up a variety of paths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities