Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 02:50 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,858,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameradin View Post
Hello! I've been wondering about this for a while. It seems everywhere I look nowadays people are bashing psychology majors as being dim and vapid airheads. I must have heard this on at least 15 different occasions, usually targeting stupid, superficial girls going for this major. This was actually a huge reason I decided to go for for a different major.

But I remember in my teens I had a genuine interest in the field, not because I was an airhead or couldn't excel in another area (always excelled in math and biology) but because I have suffered from severe OCD since the age of 12 which obviously put me in close contact with mental health professionals and inspired me to want to help other people in my situation or other types of severe and disabling mental illness. (OCD when it's severe is no walk in the park, especially for a child so I cringe to think that these children and adults' only hope will be an army of vacuous girls :/).

Unfortunately, I must admit that I have found some merit to the stereotype. One of my older cousins who we all considered unintelligent went for this very major. Coincidence? maybe, but it does make one reevaluate things. I guess I want to know how this stereotype started. Also, do you personally feel that it holds true?

to confirm your opening paragraph the vast majority of psych majors I met during undergrad were a.) female and b.) sorority girls. if it wasn't for early childhood edu, i think psych would have been the top major for females at my school of 20,000 students. on another note i also met several female psych majors who were unquestionably fit to be tied themselves. One semester I was assigned to teach one section of psych and absolutely hated it. Swore I would never teach it again and 5 years later still have not touched it. Admin tried to stick me with one section this semester but I was saved at the zero hour via a scheduling change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 01:30 PM

961 posts, read 2,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by practical111 View Post
Communications major also needs to do lots of writing.

I am not talking about the Intro to Communications course but the ones beyond that.

MIzzourah already responded here that most people's experience with Psychology courses is the Intro to Psychology and the Sigmund and Freud theory and they think that Psychology major is easy based on those two courses.

Same with Communications.
I agree, that "Communications" is rather shallow and bland. Doing "Communications" I agree is just kind of...there....and random.

Now cross-cultural communication, media studies, knowledge management, communication for development (ICT4D), Cyberwarfare, etc....are not only marketable, but are intriguing, interesting subjects.

I think "communications" gets its bad rep from people that do that field by default in Undergrad. It's like how someone says they're "doing computers". Or "they're studying IT". What is that supposed to mean?

Old 10-03-2012, 01:50 PM

832 posts, read 1,733,025 times
I'd never heard that, but I guess people just assume it is fluff. I don't have a psych major, but I took a lot of psych classes because they were interesting. They were a lot easier than my other classes (science/math), but I don't think it's a pseudo science. All of the classes I took were jam-packed with learning about various studies that showed why certain theories were true. I think a lot of it was intuitive though, so it didn't require a lot of studying once you'd read it the first time. I think if you're interested in the field, you should go for it full on--like with a plan to get higher education in it so you can turn it into a career. If you don't want to make it a career, you could just minor in it.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,935,751 times
My daughter is a psych major and she is far from vapid. She graduated in the top ten from a highly competitive high school and is about to graduate with honors from college. With her grades and test scores, she probably cold have gone into almost any college in the country and choose any major. She chose phsych not because it was easy, but because it interests her. She is well aware there are no jobs for phsych BS graudates, but intends to get a PhD and do research (she wants to study what casues prejudice and when and how children acquire prejudice). I have not heard her saying her classes are full of fluff chicks, but I have never specifically asked either. I have not hear that about psych majors before but I do nknow it is now the most common major at many or most schools.

When I had psych, I found it nether hard nor easy, just boring. The video where they had people shock each other was amusing. Howevr I never had anything excpet 101 and we had 680 people in the class. I was too busy trying to find and meet the attractive girls to pay lot of attention. Alas however the theory about psych being mostly for fluff chicks was not true at that time. THere were not more than 100 - 150 girls in that class.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Honestly, every time I've told anyone about my major, regardless of my major at the time, I always heard the same things:

"There's no money in that!" (As if I'm doing this to become a millionaire. Apparently you can't just want to educate yourself anymore.)

"The market's over saturated!" (Like the had gone out and done any reputable research into this.)

"That's easy!" (And...?)

You'll hear it for every degree. I wouldn't worry about it.
They even say that about engineering now days. I say the first two to law students in recent times.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:12 PM

990 posts, read 940,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameradin View Post
Hello! I've been wondering about this for a while. It seems everywhere I look nowadays people are bashing psychology majors as being dim and vapid airheads. I must have heard this on at least 15 different occasions, usually targeting stupid, superficial girls going for this major. This was actually a huge reason I decided to go for for a different major.

But I remember in my teens I had a genuine interest in the field, not because I was an airhead or couldn't excel in another area (always excelled in math and biology) but because I have suffered from severe OCD since the age of 12 which obviously put me in close contact with mental health professionals and inspired me to want to help other people in my situation or other types of severe and disabling mental illness. (OCD when it's severe is no walk in the park, especially for a child so I cringe to think that these children and adults' only hope will be an army of vacuous girls :/).

Unfortunately, I must admit that I have found some merit to the stereotype. One of my older cousins who we all considered unintelligent went for this very major. Coincidence? maybe, but it does make one reevaluate things. I guess I want to know how this stereotype started. Also, do you personally feel that it holds true?

Psych CAN be a good major provided you use it properly (going to grad school...), but it is generally one of the lowest on the intellectual totem pole of University degrees. In general, you'll find engineering at the top of that pole and Communications at the very bottom. Psych, being that it is a liberal arts degree with most of it being theory, will generally not carry the same cache as a degree which specifically qualifies you to do something. Most liberal arts majors are the same. English and Philosophy are even more useless.

Basically, any degree where you NEED to go to grad school in order to make any money (without being lucky) is a less useful degree. Many girls with psych degrees end up working as cocktail waitresses like my GF's (really hot) younger sister. However, others like MY sister end up with incredible jobs and lots of money...though my sister needed to get a JD before she actually made any money.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:40 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,028,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They even say that about engineering now days. I say the first two to law students in recent times.
It's said about EVERY major. It's just the thing to say when you want to make your major look more impressive than it really is.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:38 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,939,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Psych CAN be a good major provided you use it properly (going to grad school...), but it is generally one of the lowest on the intellectual totem pole of University degrees. In general, you'll find engineering at the top of that pole and Communications at the very bottom. Psych, being that it is a liberal arts degree with most of it being theory, will generally not carry the same cache as a degree which specifically qualifies you to do something. Most liberal arts majors are the same. English and Philosophy are even more useless.

Basically, any degree where you NEED to go to grad school in order to make any money (without being lucky) is a less useful degree. Many girls with psych degrees end up working as cocktail waitresses like my GF's (really hot) younger sister. However, others like MY sister end up with incredible jobs and lots of money...though my sister needed to get a JD before she actually made any money.
Engineering is not a very intellectual major. Don't confuse difficult with intellectual. Engineering is a very marketable major but that does not make it intellectual.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
It's said about EVERY major. It's just the thing to say when you want to make your major look more impressive than it really is.
How does saying the market is overstaurated and there is no money in a given field make it seem more impressive?

Old 10-04-2012, 08:42 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,028,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
How does saying the market is overstaurated and there is no money in a given field make it seem more impressive?
It's never said about the given field that said person is referencing?

IE: An engineering major: "There's no money in business. The market is over saturated."
A psychology major: "There's no money in engineering. The market is over saturated."
A business major: "There's no money in psychology. The market is over saturated."

Lets break it down into a simple formula:
IF it is not a major of the person you're talking to at the time
THEN the major has no money in it
AND the market is over saturated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities