Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 07:44 PM

382 posts, read 368,439 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering taking a couple graduate classes (one at a time) to enhance my career. I already have a master's degree, but want to specialize in another area. I have no plans for another master's degree.

Anyway, I love my life now and the freedoms that go along with it. Will taking one class totally ruin my free time? I'm not taking rocket science or anything like that. I was just wondering what it has been like for others.

For the record, it will be online and I haven't been in school for ten years! I have no children or pets. Just a high maintenance yard and a very supportive husband.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 10:54 PM

24,764 posts, read 9,559,912 times
I took full time classes (2-3 at the same time) online while I was active duty Air Force. It’s very doable because you typically get 1 full week to finish most of the assignments. And the courses are usually 8 weeks or so.

The issue is usually psychological and emotional. The anxiety that comes from different deadlines, an occasional poor grade, keeping up your GPA, continued worrying over an assignment you might not fully understand, working in groups with people in different time zones, having a professor that doesn’t answer questions, or explains their grading rubric, etc. can take a very significant toll on anyone. It’s enough to make you ill.

So I don’t regret pursuing and obtaining my degree while working full time. I regret the constant anxiety I had while doing it. It’s not for the faint of heart but as long as you believe this is what you want, you can do it.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:35 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,364,154 times
I did an online Master’s (offered by a brick and mortar state university), after I already had an in-residence Masters. The two fields were slightly related but not identical, so in many cases I wasn’t learning basic graduate-level concepts from scratch, but in the advanced classes I certainly was.

I recommend you do ONE class at a time. You’ve probably forgotten how intense graduate classes can be, from any field, and will be rusty with the process of researching, drafting, and editing papers.

If you limit it to one, you’ll be fine. It’s a little bit of a drag on your life but it’s totally doable.

Beyond that, all I can offer is have an achievable ‘chunk’ of a class old plannned throughout the week. Day 1-3 stream the lecture (or an hour of it). Day 3 or 4, questions. Day 5 group work, paper research/writing, Day 6, ... etc, etc. if you do miss a day in your rhythm, catch up the very next day at all costs or you’ll be completely swamped and unable to get back on track easily, and the stress will interfere with your absorption of the content and enjoyment of learning something new.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:39 PM

172 posts, read 108,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
Hello,

Anyway, I love my life now and the freedoms that go along with it. Will taking one class totally ruin my free time? I'm not taking rocket science or anything like that. I was just wondering what it has been like for others.
If you want to get ahead and finish in a timely manner you will need to put your free time aside and focus on school.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,696,989 times
One at a time should not be problematic.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:31 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,225,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
One at a time should not be problematic.
I agree that one class at a time should not be a problem, especially since the classes are online you won't have to worry about the commute to and from campus, hassles with parking and then walking to & from class to the parking lot, etc.

I had a full time job when I was a full time graduate student and somehow made it out alive. Joking aside, there was time for some fun. I should point out that my job was only 40 hours a week. If it was a typical 60 hour a week professional job I wouldn't have been able to manage it with a full time class load.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:58 PM

12,891 posts, read 9,135,483 times
I've done graduate work both on line and in class while working full time. One class at a time should be doable, but be prepared to spend some time dedicated to the class to get everything done. A solid class, with a good professor will be difficult in either medium. The hardest time I had with on line was dedicating time to watch the videos. Having a class schedule kind of forces that to happen, but with on line there are always other things calling at you to interrupt, like dinner, cleaning the bathroom, doing laundry, mowing the yard. You know, anything to avoid listening to another lecture. Takes a lot of self discipline.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:04 PM

382 posts, read 368,439 times
Thanks all for your honest feedback. I really appreciate it. Some of you are very brave to have taken on more than one class. I'm going to think about it for a few more weeks before I commit.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,696,989 times
I would agree that with online classes (also in-person classes with additional online components), you need to be prepared to set aside more time, because in addition to the assignments, there are often additional materials assigned, videos to watch, discussion components, etc., depending on the type of class.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:18 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,098,928 times
This is my life now:

Combining commute time with time at work, I'm gone for 55 hours a week. I have a wife, 3 year old, 2 dogs, house. I'm taking 2 graduate level classes. I also have a commitment to the Army Reserves one weekend a month and 2 weeks over the summer.m Oh yeah, I'm also working on the 35 hours of my PMP certification.

Is it intense? Yes. Is it doable? Yes. While my GPA isn't the best around 3.2, I'm doing what I can for now.

Where do I find the time? I sleep less. I sleep an average of 5 hours a night. I find time to read during various times of the day: lunch, in the bathroom, before bed, etc. I am doing my masters program online through a private brick & mortar school. I have lecture videos I have to watch. Depending on the subject, I always try to take a quantitative & qualitative class each quarter, I will listen to lecture videos during my 45 minute drive to/from work.

You have to make every minute count.

I have less than a year to go to my MBA. Hoping to sit for the PMP exam in January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities