Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 08:39 AM

3 posts, read 5,177 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am planning to move to The Springs from the east coast, and it will more than likely be a blind move.

I would like to be in D20 area, as this seems to be thee place (from what I have gathered.... (I have a child that will be in Elementary)).

I would like a 2 bedroom below $900 and that allows pets.
I have been keeping an eye on ppar but also wanted to ask your opinions on some apartment complexes.

Canyon Ranch
Lamplight Square At the Park
Whispering Hills
Grandview Apartments
Copper Chase
Copper Stone
Retreat At Austin Bluffs
Villages at Woodmen

Their ads/websites seem decent, and I've used Google Earth to try and get a feel for the area, just also wanted to see what you guys thought.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 07:37 PM

5 posts, read 6,183 times
I am in the same situation as you, so I'll be following this post closely!

Old 04-08-2015, 09:39 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,097,341 times
Hey Pickerupper and Catch2285,

I moved here about 3 years ago and was looking for a similar apartment while getting acclimated to the area. I recognize a few of the names, but I tend to know apartments by sight rather than name so I'll check those images. I visited 17 apartments while searching for a place and visited 2 more afterwards helping an investor dig for info on the properties.

Bear in mind these are only my opinions as a local, not facts or judgments about how you may make decisions.

Canyon Ranch: Wouldn't live there with a kid, right next to copperhead saloon. About a year or two ago a guy died getting shot outside the bar and I think they may have some topless acts. I wouldn't mind going there for a poker game, but I wouldn't want my kid next to it. (Note, I have no kids)

Lamplight square at the park: Never been in there, though I frequent the general area for Sam's club and Sprouts. Not a rough area, though it may be a little louder than some.

Whispering Hills: I was there 3 years ago and I was not impressed. I cut the tour short when I realized there was no way in heck we were going to stay there. The balconies were overflowing with crap, the whole place looked like a mess. When I paused the person showing the property and told him "thanks, but it isn't for us", he asked why. I told him honestly and he threw a fit. We just turned around and walked away since he was being a child. The pictures on the website look VASTLY better than the property we saw 3 years ago, so there might be a new management company that has fixed all of our complaints. The physical units could have been okay with different management.

Grandview: No. It's on Pikes Peak Ave. Once you see the area, you'll understand. Never saw these apartments in person, but I wouldn't waste the gas since I know that part of town.

Copper Chase: I've been around the area infrequently. I'll let someone that knows it better give answers. IMO areas around this part of town can feel rough.

Copper Stone: See Grandview

Retreat at Austin Bluffs:I visited there to buy something off Craigslist. I wouldn't call the apartment complex dangerous by any means. It isn't my cup of tea, but it isn't bad. The location within the city is actually quite nice for getting around and the homes around the apartment complex are solid middle class to upper middle class homes, which is fairly nice.

Villages at Woodmen
I can't recall if we visited the apartments when we were hunting for apartments. There aren't enough photos online to jog my memory, but I drive by this place 3-4 times a month. It's in a good part of town. Even though it is only slightly north of lamplight square, the location by Sam's club seems much more separated as its own private area for residents. I can't speak to the quality inside, but the outside seems very nice. From the list given, this would be my top choice.

My second choice from your list, (assuming job location is completely unknown), would probably be whispering hills. However, I would want to find out if management had changed. If it was the same management, I would rate them lower.

If I were going to add one apartment complex that I think might match the list (for locations and price) while offering a bit of extra value, I would suggest "Woodland Hills Apartment". I saw them in person 3 years ago and they were fairly nice. I ended up renting at Camelback Pointe after negotiating an employee into giving me about 16% off their normal lease rates. Woodland Hills was my runner up.

To save you some time on other apartments you might consider:

Cottonwood Terrace: We went to see an apartment. After standing in the area waiting for management for a few minutes we just left. It gave us a bad "over priced" vibe.

Epernay Apartments: It's a weird layout, but the apartments felt really nice. I can't recall their pricing.

Peaks at Woodmen: Nice, but prices are (or were) horrendous. I heard their rental rates and declined to visit and view an apartment.

Vineyards of Colorado Springs: The apartments were very nice, but they churn through employees. Between the time I viewed an apartment and was ready to sign a lease (about 2 months) some of the staff had already been turned over. The old staff was helpful, the new staff tried to hardball me on rent prices and we didn't speak again. I knew the vacancy rates for the city and I wasn't going to bite on their stupid game.

Beverly Place apartments: This place was so bad my wife and I started using "Beverly" as a way to describe something really disgusting. For instance: "Don't look over there, there is roadkill and the scene is Beverly".

Windtree Apartments: Heck no. I visited this place with my wife and within 7 minutes I used our code word. When we viewed an apartment and one of us had decided "I don't like this, I'm crossing it off our list" we would mention TV. (We don't own a tv) If we mentioned "Cable TV" it meant "I'm planning to walk out in the next 60 seconds, if you would be so kind as to end conversation with the employee, that would be nice". This was a "Cable TV". While we were in the main office a tenant came in complaining that she had been ripped off by the apartment management company. The employee was doing everything in his power to give her the run around. I know apartments fairly well, I cover the apartment sector (financial analyst) as one of my core areas. I don't recall the exact comments, but I am certain he was lying and I believe knew he was cheating her. I was furious at seeing him treat a tenant that way. If management changed, it might be decent, the location near the library is a huge plus, but the management company that had the place 3 years ago was completely unethical.

Pinnacle Apartments: This place looks GREAT if you visit during the day time. I suspected that it had shown way too well when we first saw it and we checked back in the evening. Parking is dramatically insufficient and cars ended up parked all over the place (in spots that were NOT parking spots). That's my only issue with it. I still drive past their frequently and it is only a couple miles from my house. It's a good area, they just needed more parking.

One last tip: Always check with the apartment company if they accept section 8, unless you don't mind loud unruly neighbors. I made it a point to check and cross off any place that took it. Occasionally that offended employees, as you might have gathered from reading this post, my goal is to convey information rather than protect feelings.

Good luck on your search.

BTW: I wouldn't have spent this long on a post but I saw there were two of you and since it was sight unseen I figured making the right choice would have a significant impact on your life. Pay it forward

Old 04-08-2015, 06:04 PM

5 posts, read 6,183 times
Thank you so much for posting this. You cleared up my opinions on some places and gave me a few new ones to check out.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:12 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,097,341 times
Glad to help. I remember it took me a couple days to do my apartment hunting on a cross country trip.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:18 PM

930 posts, read 1,654,041 times
There are pockets of good schools in almost all the school districts, so don't get too hung up on needing District 20.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:44 AM

274 posts, read 339,232 times
Hey lurtsman, it looks like you really scouted the area well. Did you ever browse apartments west of I-25? I've been focusing on this area since it's closer to the mountains.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:15 AM

Thanks so much for you in depth response lurtsman, it is much appreciated.

Does anyone know about the Woodside Townhomes?

Edit:
I notice they are on the south side of Academy Blvd, and if I'm not mistaken, I remember reading this area isn't too good... Is this true/still the case or am I off on my info?

Last edited by pickerupper; 04-30-2015 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: add

Old 04-30-2015, 09:35 AM

6,821 posts, read 10,512,019 times
Not the best neighborhood by Colorado Springs standards.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:01 AM

Anyone familiar with Residence at Austin Bluffs? Is it pretty decent? Perhaps just for a few months?

I did a Google drive by and looks like the complex is right behind King Soopers and 24 hr fitness. I think it's Austin Bluffs Plaza? With the Starbucks as well. Walking distance to a grocery store would be nice.

I also noticed there are quite a few 'at Austin Bluffs' apartments. Are they all decent/in a good area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs