Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 14,723 times

Advertisements

I am a local coordinator for the non-profit "Education, Travel and Culture". We are seeking families interested in hosting high school age foreign exchange students for the fall 2009 semester or school year. The students this year are fantastic!! If you are interested or know someone who is, please let me know!

Your exchange student will be:
Fluent in English
Attend your local high school
Stay for a semester or full school year
Have all their own spending money
Full insurance
Highly screened and interviewed

As the Volunteer Host family you will:
Provide a bed for your student (can share room with same sex/similar age sibling)
Provide in home meals ( i.e. cereal for breakfast and an extra plate at dinner)
Protect and guide your new son or daughter as they discover our culture
Treat them as a member of the family, not a guest
Host families can be empty nesters, couple with no kids, standard family and singles
Earn community service and volunteer hours (each member of the family is eligible)
Be able to truly impact the world...one kid at a time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 06:41 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Hosting an exchange student is a great idea but please anyone interested check out the organization carefully first. My brother hosted an exchange student and had a good experience, but he learned of many bad situations - organizers placing students with people who treated them basically like slaves, babysitters, etc., lied about their whereabouts, students didn't find out they were placed until the day they had to leave to the States, and that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:52 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,122,984 times
Good post Otowi. My family hosted a foreign exchange student when I was in HS myself. She was from India and was a wonderful lady. It was really a neat experience as we learned about her culture, religion, and her family. I know so many live in their own little world and get caught up in their everyday life, but it is truly an awesome experience.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 7,878 times
what about you sir can you cater a college student like me??

Old 07-20-2009, 05:13 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,122,984 times
Manuel, We are moving to Virginia in 3 weeks and will be taking our sweet time searching a home. In the meantime, we will be living in our 35 foot camper as we search so we can't take anyone else. Good luck though!
Lynette

Old 07-22-2009, 09:49 PM

Smile foreign exchange

Hi everyone,

I am the one who posted the initial ad for foreign exchange!

I just wanted to assure you we are a credible organization and are members of CSIET (Counsil on Standards for International Educational Travel). Our students are thoroughly screened and so are our host families! Since I am a local coordinator, I am responsible for couseling all the students I place and reporting their progress throughout the year.

Please check out our website at www.edutrav.org and contact me if you are interested in hosting!

Thanks,
Nicole

Old 07-28-2009, 08:44 AM

109 posts, read 287,265 times
We're hosting a foreign exchange student this year through Education, Travel & Culture. They are a great organization and Nicole has been absolutely wonderful to work with!

Old 11-09-2009, 12:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,073 times
why would any sane person host. my student is spoiled, a whiner has been caught in lies, and over all a big mistake. i dont have the time to be his babysitter or keep constant watch over him to keep his hormones in control. The lack of respect he has for us as his family is very disapointing and i wont make this error again.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:53 AM

11 posts, read 29,650 times
We had both good and bad experiences with exchange students my parents hosted when I was younger. We've had both good and bad. We had a rude one from Brazil who would snap his fingers at as as if we were his servants. While we had another from Russia who is still a great family friend who comes to visit us still. Then a Japanese one who we lost touch with after he left, but he was very respectful and quiet most of the time.

There were a couple others that fell in between those areas. The most respectful were those from Russia though this was in the mid 90's. They liked to mow our lawn even because they didn't have one back home lol. Also it is very likely that any student you get will be from a wealthy family.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:20 PM

Freebe, I am sorry to hear you are having such a bad experience. What organization did you go through? Where is your student from? I am coordinating 5 students right now and none of the host families have any complaints.

If you experience is so bad, why can't you send the student home or send them to another host family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs