Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 PM

3 posts, read 4,357 times

Advertisements

I'm searching for an upper end million dollar view home in the Colorado Springs area. I may end up having to build to get what I want. I found an old thread about some builders. Can you guys recommend any current economical yet quality custom builders?

PS I'm headed there next week with my Texas plates to look around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:25 PM

26,238 posts, read 49,123,150 times
Please check out Pinecrest, in the Pine Creek area of zip 80920.

Then check addresses on this street where quite a few lots with stunning views of Pikes Peak are available.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:16 PM

727 posts, read 1,367,834 times
Economical and quality. Hmmm. There's an old saying in the contracting (any kind of contracting)world: You can get anything cheap, fast, and high quality. But, you can't get all three at the same time. If you're looking for high quality, be prepared to pay for it. It's cheaper in the long run. A couple of builders I've heard good things about but not from personal experience are Charlie Paterson and Bob McGrath. Both do a lot of renovations of the historic homes in Old North End. You might also try Kenton Pass. He was recommended to me for renovation work from my home's former owner. A lot of the small builders have concentrated on renovations of late with the housing market the way it is, but I believe they will build custom homes. Another builder you can try is Spear (sp?) Builders. Met them at the last Renovation Showcase and was impressed with their work. Again, their emphasis now is on renovations, additions, etc., but they may still do custom building. They work primarily in the Monument and other northern areas of town.

As for existing homes, if you're looking for high end with great views, check out the Kissing Camels area. Gated community, golf course, etc., views of Garden of the Gods. Some of the lots in Manitou have great views of GOG, as well. Also check out Old North End and the Culebra area (just north of Colorado College and adjacent to Monument Valley Park). Great, older, established neighborhoods. As for the views in North End, it's hit and miss; what with the mature trees, but everything's a trade off. A lot of the upper end homes in COS proper are on the west side of I-25, and the farther up you go in elevation, you lose the view of Pikes Peak. What you'll have is the view of the city lights at night and the plains to the east. It's pretty and panoramic, but I'd personally rather be looking at the mountain than the plains.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:12 PM

To expand on what I'm saying. You take 5 custom builders that build the same quality home and you will have 5 different prices. I rather buy from the one that has the lowest price.

I found this lot 5035 Lanagan Street, Colorado Springs CO | MLS# 605007 - Trulia that appears to be a good location and is close to Costco. I'd like to be no more than 15 miles from a Costco. A good gauge for civilization.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:40 PM

26,238 posts, read 49,123,150 times
That lot sits at the base of the foothills. You get a million dollar view...of the prairie to the east, but no view at all of Pikes Peak.

The location I suggested is only 5 miles to either of two Costco stores in this town and has superb view of Pikes Peak and a view downrange past Cheyenne Mountain.

Suggest you try to get both day and nighttime views from all properties of interest.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:07 PM

278 posts, read 450,724 times
"15 miles from a Costco"...that includes about the entire north, notheast and northwest parts of the city.

Last edited by YoYoSpin; 05-05-2012 at 10:20 PM..

Old 05-06-2012, 12:54 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,584,342 times
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pikes Peak.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	94908Back in the early '90's, we were looking in Mountain Shadows and had narrowed it down to a house on Lanagan and one on Chambrey Court. But, we realized, being so close to the foothills, you have no view to the west, so no mountain view, just a hillside. The other thing is that the sun sets behind the hills at about 2:00 p.m. in the winter, and about 5:00 p.m. in the summer, so you are in shade from early afternoon or evening; but when you look to the east from your lot, you'll see the plains bathed in sunshine. We ended up staying in Divide, but it was an eye opener to realize you're in the shade most of the time up against the foothills. Personally, I'd prefer to be farther east and/or north where I'd have a million dollar view of Pikes Peak and the foothills. A spectacular mountain view is priceless in this area. This is the view from our deck in Divide...

Last edited by Marcy1210; 05-06-2012 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: Added photo

Old 05-14-2012, 07:00 PM

Ok I made a trip to the area. I looked at a house directly across from the North Pole in Cascade. Even though the park was closed, the noise from Hwy 24 knocked that house out. Then I found a nice bank owned cobblestone streets subdivision in Woodland Park. Looked at one house there that would have had a view of Pikes Peak if trees weren't in the way. It was hard to tell whether the remaining lots had a Pikes Peak view. Cedar Heights subdivision looks promising. There are several lots for sale in there. Same for Kissing Camels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs