Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 10:11 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times

Advertisements

My family is planning to go to the Renaissance Festival this weekend, I'm wondering if anyone went last weekend (the fire was smoking, if not as heavily perhaps as it is now) and was the smoke a problem if so? Has anyone been up in that area this week at all who might be able to advise me on this?

Our schedules are insanely tight this summer and this was the only weekend we could go, and we really do want to...but my 13 year old son has asthma. Very well controlled on meds, his activities are unaffected...but still. I'm hoping I can just take his inhaler and keep a sharp eye on him, which is what I've done when campfires, bbq's or fireworks events were going on, and he's been fine in those situations. But I don't want to push it if it's really bad up there, y'know?

Google searches for smoke conditions at this event or the area produced no useful results...anybody know anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 10:46 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,411 times
I have no idea how the smoke is affecting the Larkspur area, but I did receive this in my email today. Maybe it will help.

The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment and the Regional Air Quality Council have issued an OZONE ACTION DAY ALERT at 4 p.m. on Monday, June 25, 2012 for the Front Range Urban Corridor from El Paso County north to Larimer and Weld counties, including the Denver-Boulder area, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins and Greeley.

In addition, due to significant smoke production from the High Park Fire west of Fort Collins and Waldo Canyon Fire west of Colorado Springs, WILDFIRE SMOKE HEALTH ADVISORIES are now in effect until 4:00 pm on Tuesday for Larimer County (including Fort Collins and Loveland) Weld County (including Greeley), and El Paso County including all of Colorado Springs.

IF VISIBILITY IS LESS THAN 5 MILES IN SMOKE IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD, SMOKE HAS REACHED LEVELS THAT ARE UNHEALTHY. In these areas, people with heart or lung disease, older adults, and children should avoid prolonged or heavy exertion; everyone else should reduce prolonged or heavy exertion.

This Multiple Pollutants Action Day Alert will remain in effect until at least 4 p.m. Tuesday, June 26, 2012.

For updates on current air quality, go here: http://apcd.state.co.us/colorado_summary.aspx.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:05 AM

Thanks man! I saw that, but thought it was a bit vague, after all we're in the Springs and there are areas where it's bad and areas where it's really not. I guess it's probably going to just depend on the prevailing winds on the day we go, as to how it is.

In other Ren-Fest related news, I was surprised to see a guy there has a tiger on a leash...and then read a news report about how he is wanted in Wisconsin (was arrested, imprisoned, but didn't follow through with the enormous fine so there's now a warrant out for that) in connection with severe animal cruelty and neglect. The report states that an emaciated tiger in his facility killed and ate a panther and he beat it with a 2x4, along with many charges of animals dying of severe neglect. He's apparently been driven out of Wisconsin and Minnesota and is now in Oregon...I can't imagine the hippies up there will put up with him for long. What disturbs me a little is the guy thinks he can restrain a tiger using nothing but a leash? Really?? In a crowded festival where there's nothing but a rope between the guy and the audience and kids are running around all over the place... Wow. Just...wow. And I'm sure everyone just assumes the guy is totally legit, an expert, and nothing could possibly go wrong.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,057,812 times
Here is a good link to check on real time smoke.

AIRNow - Colorado Air Quality

You can click on the "Current" tab to get the hourly updated info.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:13 PM

553 posts, read 1,636,535 times
My daughter works at the Ren Faire. They were open for business last weekend, and plan to be open this coming weekend.

Last weekend, their attendance was pretty low, but I suspect that was more due to the heat than the fire/smoke.

Enjoy.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:11 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,527,026 times
It is pretty close to a pre-evacuation zone, so just to be safe should probably check in as it gets closer to the weekend.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:14 PM

Will do, otowi. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs