Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 10:21 AM

313 posts, read 725,932 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are strongly considering moving to Colorado Springs in the future because of all the incredibly positive things we hear and see online. We were actually going there during the summer but then the wildfires started. We have moved it up to late September hoping to see the leaves changing and driving further north but are concerned that the rate these fires are going it may spread even further and affect the fall season.

My question to you is should we go in the winter, spring, summer or fall of next year?

thanks,

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 11:25 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,522,918 times
There is no reason not to come now/this summer. The wildfires are not a big factor that should impact your visit currently. If you want to see leaves changing, September could be a tad early - it depends on the year. I'd say Oct. 14 or so would be more likely for that.

If you choose to come later, I'd say it depends of why you are coming. I'd generally advise people to come in winter when things are dead - that may be shocking to some people who live in much greener climes and they ought to see it before buying. So like January.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:25 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
At this point, the Waldo Canyon fire is 100% contained. There are others burning in the state and elsewhere, but it's a good time to visit Colorado Springs, as good as any. If you intend to be driving (you appear to be from Florida, yes?) be sure you're prepared for possible winter road conditions before you come up here any other time of year (I'd say October through April, at the least.) Don't get the wrong impression, we don't have constant, or even incredibly frequent, heavy snow/ice/etc. When I moved here, people talked to me like I was going to Alaska, and they were wrong. It's just that it is very possible to see a winter storm at any random time in that span of months, one should be aware and prepared.

At this time the city of Colorado Springs is no longer even unpleasantly smoky like it was last week. So don't worry about it.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:15 PM

313 posts, read 725,932 times
I was told in the Denver forum that late Septmber was the best for foliage watching. I understand that leaves changing color is no big deal for you guys but the only seasons we have in South Florida is spring and summer. And spring here is like summer in most places.

We ended up buying tickets to Northern California to visit some friends this month.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:15 PM

930 posts, read 1,655,022 times
Oh, the foliage is so beautiful! I adore the aspens changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs