Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 02:49 PM

255 posts, read 710,635 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I have posted before about my husband and I planning a move to CO this coming summer or early fall. I had some questions about a few neighborhoods and would appreciate any new info. I am particularly interested in learning more about the Spring Creek neighborhood near downtown, Gold Hill Mesa, and Chaparral Point in Indigo Ranch.

We like the idea of a "neo-traditional" neighborhood where houses look older but are new and there is a sense of community. We like houses with small front yards, porches from which to greet neighbors, homes built closer together, maybe a community center in the development and some walkability. A location near walking/bicycling trails is a huge bonus.

I know Spring Creek is near a not-so-nice section of town. (I know safety is relative to different people.) Does Spring Creek have a shady reputation or is it a good area surrounded by a bad area? Is there shopping near that area like a Whole Foods, Target, grocery, etc?

I have also heard that Gold Hill Mesa is built on mining tailings that have been covered. Any new health-related issues that have arisen for residents? Also, has development slowed due to the controversy surrounding the tailings?

I really like the homes in Chaparral Point. Is Indigo Ranch a desirable area in terms of safety, shopping options and location to downtown?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 07:35 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,771 times
The only one I know anything about is Indigo Ranch. It is in a very nice, safe area. Would put you like 5 minutes to all the shopping you need, including a Whole Foods. The schools are pretty good for that area too. From there, it would likely take you about 20 minutes to get downtown, in traffic.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:13 AM

6,821 posts, read 10,512,019 times
Gold Hill Mesa is indeed built on mine tailings - I think brought down from Cripple Creek on the Short Line RR a long time ago. I heard that if you buy there there are some restrictions about what you can plant/dig (no vegetable gardens, maybe no fruit trees - can't eat what grows there because of the tailings) and and that you don't actually own the land or only to a certain depth? Maybe they now think the earth they brought in is deep enough that roots won't get into the tailings. I wouldn't be so sure with trees at least. I haven't heard of health problems, but the develop is new enough that I doubt cancer clusters or something like that would have had time to appear if they are going to. I doubt they would, but who knows? Personally, I would not consider living on mine tailings when there are other options. Here's an old news article that kind of reads like and advertisement in typical Gazette style: http://www.gazette.com/articles/gold...hill-mesa.html And an older one that is a little less like an advertisement: http://www.gazette.com/articles/gold...#ixzz2BMiwyHq6

Last edited by otowi; 01-09-2013 at 06:27 AM..

Old 01-09-2013, 09:44 AM

930 posts, read 1,654,041 times
When I was considering Gold Hill Mesa, it was difficult to find unbiased opinions. Naturally, if you talk to any of the home builders, they are very biased. If you do research for the EPA and Brownfields, then it may give you some food for thought. There is a wealth of information from the developer that gives compositions of the soils, etc.

Regardless of the history behind it, the reasons why my family is not living there is:

Absolutely no yard. Well, maybe a total of five square feet. More if you live on a corner. The houses are very close together; I live downtown currently, and the houses are not very far from each other there either. At GHM you can likely stand between two houses and touch both houses with your arms stretched out.

The per-square-footage for GHM is very high, because of the soil mitigation. It is just more expensive to live there.

The high HOA fees. The HOA fees are higher than some other areas, and for much less. Cordera, for example, has comparable rates for their HOA, but their HOA includes a Y membership. We asked if there was a plan for a pool, and there was no answer.

The developer is planning to put a grocery store there, etc, but I don't see that happening for a while. Essentially, the development started, then sat while we fell into the "Great Recession." For a time, you'd drive into GHM and every third or fourth house was for sale.

Overall, even though it doesn't sound like it, it was a tough decision. We really loved the location, being on the West Side, and we loved the romantic aura of having a brand new home. The builders are very willing to customize your house. We kept saying "Gosh, if GHM only didn't have _______"

Old 01-09-2013, 11:10 AM

Great info. Thanks for your insights!

Old 01-10-2013, 03:15 PM

727 posts, read 1,365,823 times
IMHO - There are lots of nice developments in the COS area, including GHM. But, if you have the choice of living in one sitting on mine tailings vs another that isn't, why even consider the one on the mine tailings? For the sake of a few more minutes of drive time or buying in an older established neighborhood, the choice is clear for me. I don't want to be anywhere near mine tailings if I can possibly avoid it. Just my opinion.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:07 PM

Any thoughts on Spring Creek? I checked out the crime stats, and there seems to be quite a bit of activity just to the East of the neighborhood, but none inside.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:47 PM

193 posts, read 356,236 times
Indigo ranch seems to really meet your needs, vis a vis the smaller lots & sense of community. I wouldn't want to be so close to my neighbours, but it sounds like you do, and you'd likely be very happy there. The homes are nice, there are community centers, and amenities are close by. There are multiple new home developments in the springs. You should really come actually check them out before deciding.

Were we free in terms of commute, I would have chosen a division further west.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:04 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,097,341 times
I love indigo ranch. Drove through there recently and admired the area. Granted, I like most of the area. I also drove through GHM a few months ago because it's near a wonderful dog park. I really liked the area. Being so close to the mountains and with some quick access to the downtown employers, but decided against it. I didn't even get to the point of knowing about the mine tailings. I ruled it out based on the price per square foot, hoa fees, and not really liking the areas that were between it and the places I needed to travel to. I ended up buying... near indigo ranch.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:44 PM

I am glad you like the area near Indigo Ranch, lurtsman. Good to know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs