Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 10:56 AM

45 posts, read 50,436 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are retired and thinking of moving to Colorado Springs, we now live in Northern CA where $800 will get you a room to rent! He is a swimmer and I enjoy yoga.Any lap pool suggestions? We can afford to rent for around $800-to $900 a month and prefer a quiet area. A small 2 bedroom house would be preferable. Since we are both veterans, anyone have experience with the local VA clinic? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 11:34 AM

346 posts, read 549,494 times
My husband uses the local VA clinic for 90% of his medical needs and he is thrilled that they are close to completing a beautiful, brand new, much larger facility here in Colorado Springs. Right now you have to go to the downtown Denver VA hospital for a lot of the testing (they pay you mileage but it can take an hour there and another back for a 10 minute test) and specialty appointments but they have assured him that a lot of that will be eliminated once the new facility here opens.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:38 PM

Thank you for your reply! We have a new VA clinic here, but we can't afford to live here. I get all my care from the VA, my husband gets about 90% of his care with the VA. When will the new one open? What area of Colorado Springs would you recommend? thanks again…...

Old 12-09-2013, 03:46 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
padmapper.com will find rentals, but it'll be hard at $800-900 month. Avoid the S.E. area of town, all else is okay.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:58 PM

346 posts, read 549,494 times
At your price range you will probably have to look for a townhouse or condo rather than a single family home. As for area, I prefer the northern part of town (it's just prettier and I love being close to the mountains) and you couldn't pay me enough money to move back out to the Falcon area. The Air Force Academy is also up here so we are close to the commissary (it's smaller so for big shopping we go down to Peterson AFB), BX and pharmacy, which is convenient.

The new VA outpatient clinic is supposed to open in spring 2014.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:43 PM

I really appreciate the information, will definitely check out pad mapper.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:41 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
I think you can find a single family home in the security-widefield area that has two bedrooms for under 900. If you were able to buy (get bank financing, have a down payment) you can definitely buy a fairly nice two bedroom home with a PITI (principal, interest, taxes, and insurance) payment of under 900 per month. You can probably do it in the security-widefield area on a monthly payment around 600 to 650 if you were buying.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:30 PM

162 posts, read 543,581 times
At the price range you are looking for, there are a few places to get into a small home for that price. Just make sure you stay away from certain areas. That price range puts you in some not-so-nice areas with crime. I agree with a previous poster that you might be better served to find a condo or townhome for that price.

El Paso County (Colorado Springs) has 58% of Colorado's military retirees. That says something.

Good Luck!

Old 12-18-2013, 04:50 PM

Thanks for your suggestions, I very much appreciate it! After California a condo or town home for $900 sounds great! In California that would get us a room or a studio apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs