Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 06:49 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,493,695 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have taken many trips to Pikes Peak from Denver over the last 2 months training for the Ascent (finished yesterday yay). We have noticed that coming home on Saturday or Sunday traffic always comes to a halt near the Air Force Academy's North Gate on I-25.

Yet, I don't see any backups from exits, accidents, cars off to the side or anything. Is it people rubbernecking looking over at the stadium? I don't see the root of the problem...can anyone explain this to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 07:00 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
IMO it's the blivet effect of trying to stuff ten pounds of pooh in a five pound bag.

Too much traffic trying to get to Gleneagle, Monument and on to Denver for the two lanes that are available. And it's uphill, cars always tend to slow down when going uphill unless the driver is diligent to watch the speed needle.

I see this slowdown at Briargate Pkwy since the third lane northbound runs out at N. Nevada exit, then the through traffic has to merge from 3 to 2 lanes AND go up a notable rise towards Briargate Pkwy. Then, it picks up more on-ramp traffic at Briargate and Interquest. Once all the "inputs" get onto those 2 lanes, it starts to break loose a bit at North Gate where some traffic starts to exit, then more exits at Baptist Rd and then more at Rte 105 for Monument and more again at County Line Rd at the top of Monument Hill. Seen it many times. Just too much traffic for the two lanes. Once cresting Monument Hill it seems like clear sailing.

Next year they are to add a third lane from Woodmen up to Baptist Rd, maybe further, can't recall right this moment.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:04 PM

Blivet effect could be it... It's strange I don't even notice a merge, it's like we are going along nicely, then hit a glass wall. Looks and feels like an accident but nothing is there.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:10 PM

Yep, that's how it works.

Unless there's a wreck, I can't recall ever seeing stop/go north of County Line Rd at the top of Monument Hill. To me, that proves we need 3 lanes up to County Line Rd to handle the "local" traffic, beyond that two lanes will do to Castle Rock. Summer weekends seem to be as bad as evening rush hour, will all those RVs, travel trailers, boats and what have you hitting the road between Friday PM and Sunday PM trying to enjoy summer.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:17 PM

Thanks Mike, it's starting to make sense now. I think the Air Force Academy exit was throwing me off of what was really happening.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Thanks Mike, it's starting to make sense now. I think the Air Force Academy exit was throwing me off of what was really happening.
That exit, #156, is like the outlet of a funnel, up until then NB traffic fills up the mouth of the funnel (traffic backs up) with exit 156 serving as a metering point to regulate the outflow. Once past 156 traffic starts to flow and picks up speed beyond each succeeding exit.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:37 PM

There is a way around some of these backups, if they're extensive and really crawling.

NB, one may exit at N. Academy, exit 150, turning right and heading east, then immediately move all the way over to the left lane, turning left onto northbound Voyager Blvd, which goes all the way to North Gate. Turn left on North Gate, heading back west and it'll take you down to I-25. At that point you may either get back on I-25 northbound. But if you know, or suspect, that I-25 is still crawling northbound, then just before I-25 turn right and head north on Struthers/Jackson Creek Pkwy, which can take you all way to Baptist Rd or to Rte 105 in Monument, at which time you turn left and head over to I-25. THAT should get you around most backups.

The same escape route works in reverse for escaping problems on southbound traffic on I-25.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:27 PM

27 posts, read 84,610 times
I just checked the CDOT info site on the I-25 planned project for the stretch, I-25 North Design Build (Colorado Springs) — CDOT, and they changed a bit on the page from what I thought I read awhile ago. It was originally going up to Interquest and I think the budget then was $32 million, but it looks like a doubled budget and all the way up Monument as to complete Phase 2 of the Interstate Expansion plans or I think of it as COSMIX pt 2. I-25, Colorado Springs to Monument Environmental Assessment — CDOT talks about the Enviromental Assessment and proposed actions done in 2004. So six lanes all the way up to Exit 161 (highway 105) in Monument plus a totally reconstructed interchange at Northgate with accomendations for a freeway-to-freeway interchange, at or south of Northgate, for the North Powers project. that should significantly ease congestion. I actually read most of the EA and it seems that the project along I-25 have been following it pretty closely, also I commute from Woodmen to 105 in monument on I-25 everyday so I'm highly interested in seeing how this turns out. I think I read some more about the entire I-25 but it's not so relevant to this.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:22 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,165,344 times
Widening of I-25 from Woodmen to Monument is supposed to start any day now:
Interstate 25 widening project just days from start | project, interstate, colorado - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

Wonder how much of a mess it will make of things while in progress? It will be good to get it done!

Old 03-21-2013, 05:15 PM

177 posts, read 314,855 times
They really need 3 lanes all the way to Castle Rock!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs