Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 06:41 AM

22 posts, read 42,423 times

Advertisements

Thank you Littlekw! I think we will probably plan a vacation for there soon so we can check it out. We've been dying to kayak the Colorado springs river. So it's a perfect excuse

Thanks so much for everyone's help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 08:14 AM

208 posts, read 305,608 times
If you end up deciding to settle here, PM me and I'll put you in contact with a same-sex couple with kids that are pretty awesome people and involved in the LGBT community.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:06 AM

409 posts, read 704,328 times
You're going to be better off here than in a small southern town, but it's still pretty conservative. Sadly, my end of town is the most conservative, but there are also pockets of more open thinking people, even around here. I'd love to have you as my neighbor, but I can't promise that all of my current neighbors wouldn't be jerks. :/

Old 03-04-2015, 11:17 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekw View Post
Frankly, the LGBT community is not strong in Colorado Springs. Like I said in my previous post, we all kind of meld together here. Colorado Springs is also not known as being "diverse" but that's primarily because we don't split ourselves into groups here. We are all part of the same city and don't generally label each other or ourselves by our ethnic, racial, sexual or political differences. We do our best to function as a collaborative community, at least socially.

Colorado Springs is a live and let live city. It tends to be very libertarian in that regard and if our neighbor doesn't bother us, we won't bother them.

If you're looking for a strong LGBT community you won't find it here. What you'll find is a city of down to earth people that just want to live their lives in peace and enjoy their existence. The few rabble-rousers are only fodder for eye rolls from the majority of us.
OP, if you read between the lines here you're being told you have to keep a low profile. In other words "don't ask, don't tell". Not going to be much of an improvement from what you currently have.

You also need to realize that while you don't seem to like more populated areas, what you're looking for is going to be in more populated areas.

You should rethink Portland, it feels more like a large town than a city, you would find what you're looking for, yes it rains in the winter, but the spring and summer are gorgeous. And there are two rivers that you
could kayak on.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:25 AM

409 posts, read 704,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
OP, if you read between the lines here you're being told you have to keep a low profile. In other words "don't ask, don't tell". Not going to be much of an improvement from what you currently have.
Unfortunately, this is true for many parts of town. But if you live closer to downtown, or better yet, in Manitou, I think you'll be fine. I've seen same sex couples holding hands all over, FWIW.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:50 PM

694 posts, read 1,039,868 times
Denver/Boulder probably more acceptable, but coming from OK, the cost of living will be a sticker shock.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:32 PM

481 posts, read 1,301,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
OP, if you read between the lines here you're being told you have to keep a low profile. In other words "don't ask, don't tell".
Not necessarily my intent in the post I made but you're analysis doesn't stray from the truth. "Don't ask, don't tell" is a good way of describing the situation but that holds true in other aspects of life here as well. I tend to vote Democrat and am a left-leaning moderate. In Republican dominated El Paso County, I keep a low profile in that regard. That doesn't mean it's an unfriendly place for my political views, it just means I don't openly advertise them.

As previous posters have noted, downtown, the west side and Manitou Springs tend to be the most open to LGBT (and Democrats ). I lived in a duplex in the Ivywild neighborhood and my neighbors were a married lesbian couple. A gal across the street was also gay. Great neighbors, we had barbeques together, enjoyed beers on the back porch and they had no issues in Colorado Springs. My current neighbors on the west side are a gay male couple. Our dogs play together and they're also not bothered being gay in Colorado Springs. Those are two of the more accepting areas of town, I would guess to say.

Be yourself, be happy and just live your life. It's unlikely many people will bother you about it. Oh, and coming out for a visit is a great idea. It'll give you a better perspective. The Springs ain't for everyone but it ain't bad, either.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:56 PM

670 posts, read 1,053,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolexanne View Post
Thank you Littlekw! I think we will probably plan a vacation for there soon so we can check it out. We've been dying to kayak the Colorado springs river. So it's a perfect excuse

Thanks so much for everyone's help!!
We don't have a river in Colorado Springs. There are some creeks but they are not kayak/raftable. Perhaps you are thinking of the Arkansas River? That has excellent stretches of both white water and float. The best river running sections are about 45 minutes to an hour away (The Gorge, Parkdale, Browns Canyon, the Numbers which is mostly Class V Kayaking). The towns of Buena Vista, Salida, Canon City and Pueblo have developed some sections of the Arkansas through town as white water play parks.

Our kayaking here is almost exclusively whitewater and technical steep creek type. If you are thinking of the touring kayaks you would need to do that on a reservoir, we don't have those kinds of wide rivers like you find in Washington and Oregon here.

This link is to a photo of kayaking on The Numbers Section of the Arkansas River in the fall when the water is lower http://livefromsouthmain.com/wp-cont...s-River-16.jpg

And earlier in the season at higher water http://merelyafleshwound.com/render/...s/IMG_3646.jpg

Last edited by StarrySkiesAbove; 03-04-2015 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 03-09-2015, 04:29 PM

13 posts, read 13,116 times
I agree with what has been posted. As a gay man who was married to a man, I lived in Colorado Springs without incident and seemingly without judgement. I am outspoken and not at all in the closet and had NO problems! I am sure you are used to living in an extremely conservative place coming from Southern OK. That was really the only issue I had being the loud and proud liberal I am. To be honest, though, no one ever really gave me a problem about that. They just voted differently than me in large numbers. So, I knew it wasn't really the place for me. But, if you can deal with that and the lack of a nearby body of water (my other issue), you will love it!

Old 03-10-2015, 08:50 PM

454 posts, read 1,225,173 times
Honestly I don't care what preference people have, good people are good people regardless of anything else.

So if you think people don't like you or care about what they think you won't fit in anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs