Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:10 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times

Advertisements

Lets face it the Colorado Springs downtown is pretty lame for city of nearly half a million people. A handful of tall buildings over a sea of low density sprawl. What could be done to increase density downtown and improve public transit so that the springs feels more like a city and less like a overgrown small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 10:23 AM

670 posts, read 1,052,244 times
Born and lived here my whole life. I live in a historic neighborhood near downtown. I like that our downtown feels like a small town and not a high density urban center. If I wanted high rises I would live in Denver.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:27 AM

I to have lived in the springs my whole life and I think its pathetic how neglected our downtown is. The reason this city has so many infrastructure problems is due to urban sprawl. Concentrate more people in the downtown location and make it more difficult to constantly build out. Building up is far more aesthetically pleasing and environmentally friendly.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:47 AM

670 posts, read 1,052,244 times
I think aesthetically pleasing is subjective. I personally find the small quaint old buildings to be more pleasing than modern high rises but again I am not looking to live in a large urban center, I already did that living in Tokyo Japan for a time in the 90's after college. It was fun and exciting in my 20's but I would find it exhausting now. I like my quiet, lame downtown.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:05 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
I would agree. In my opinion the Springs has a tearable downtown for a city of its size.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:20 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySkiesAbove View Post
Born and lived here my whole life. I live in a historic neighborhood near downtown. I like that our downtown feels like a small town and not a high density urban center. If I wanted high rises I would live in Denver.
Exactly. Rather than the usual hub & spoke layout with a dense city core we have a linear city that's strung out along the north-south arterials. It actually works quite well and it avoids the typical massive traffic flows into the dense core every morning and out again every afternoon. Offices and workplaces are located all along the I-25 / Academy / Union / Voyager Pkwy corridors allowing people to have a short commute from home to office.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Exactly. Rather than the usual hub & spoke layout with a dense city core we have a linear city that's strung out along the north-south arterials. It actually works quite well and it avoids the typical massive traffic flows into the dense core every morning and out again every afternoon. Offices and workplaces are located all along the I-25 / Academy / Union / Voyager Pkwy corridors allowing people to have a short commute from home to office.
Traffic wouldn't be such an issue if we actually had good public transportation that is on time and runs 24 hours a day. The insane car culture we have creates these low density suburban environments that in my opinion are incredibly ugly and unsustainable in the long run.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:34 PM

6,814 posts, read 10,510,104 times
There's a reason Colorado Springs has the skyline it does - some conscious decisions by leaders in the past not to ruin the mountain skyline. Colorado Springs does not have high rises on purpose - they're uglier than our mountains.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
There's a reason Colorado Springs has the skyline it does - some conscious decisions by leaders in the past not to ruin the mountain skyline. Colorado Springs does not have high rises on purpose - they're uglier than our mountains.
I fail to see how having a few more tall buildings would ruin the mountain view. I suppose with that kind of backward thinking the springs will continue to be mediocre and lag behind other cities.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:45 PM

6,814 posts, read 10,510,104 times
What is the benefit of a tall building? Just concentrating people and traffic? I just don't get the appeal, and I don't see it as a mediocre/lagging choice not to choose high rises which block views - if you don't think they do, go to Denver and walk around downtown see what you can actually see - unless you actually leave the downtown high rise area, you can't see squat except the ugly buildings. Denver's downtown is ugly, imho, and creepy. And other than marking it as a "BIG" city, I don't see that it does anything great. Not every city needs to be a "BIG" city to be a "good" city. Yes, we don't love sprawl, either - but that would be better controlled if more developers would redevelop lagging areas instead of constantly pushing out - like what they did around UCCS, etc.

I think , however, this topic has come up previously in these forums and it ends up just being a case of having to agree to disagree - pointless to debate, really, because there are just different opinions.

BTW, it is pretty presumptuous and rude to call other people's thinking 'backward' just because it is different from yours. Not everyone in the world things high rises are true progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs