Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 12:22 PM

727 posts, read 1,366,481 times

Advertisements

Not sure what you've heard about the clear film, but it seems to be the best solution to rock chips and the like that's out there right now. Certainly better than those black vinyl 'bras' that used to be popular back in the day (they would scratch the paint themselves). What you have to remember with the clear 'bras' is that they only last for 3-5 years if the car is driven a lot or is left outside in the elements. They're good for 5-8 years, maybe longer otherwise. Eventually, however, they discolor and/or lose some elasticity and have to be replaced. With quality paint jobs these days costing thousands of dollars, these clear vinyl solutions are a no brainer for me.

Some high end cars are completely covered with the film, though most only have the front end and hood done, along with side mirrors and other smaller areas susceptible to rock chips. EAS is about to offer a DOT approved windshield film. I believe they're the only place in CO that's approved to use it. I think they're still testing it, but it should be available soon.

They'll also do complete vehicle "wraps" in colored vinyl. If you check them out, look for a Porsche Cayman R at the race shop (PPR Racing) next door that's a matte blue...it's not paint. It's completely wrapped. The original paint underneath is undisturbed and the wrap can be removed to reveal a factory fresh paint job at any time.

I know I'm sounding like a shill for EAS, but I've recently toured their facility with my car club and got a demo on how the film, wraps and detailing are done. I was impressed. They're the top shop in town and have been for years (though they've just moved to their current location).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 01:45 PM

274 posts, read 339,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
Not sure what you've heard about the clear film, but it seems to be the best solution to rock chips and the like that's out there right now.
Mostly that the low quality ones tend to yellow prematurely, that some contaminants can still leak through and damage the paint anyway, and sometimes they cloud up after time, making the car look dull and washed out. This seems to all revolve around the use of low quality film.

I'm really curious about the windshield film, since windshield cracks are more prevalent here, I'd definitely be interested in more protection. My old car already got pitted after a couple of months, and while GEICO had it repaired through Safelite, you can still see the blemish where the crack was. (although I'm aware Safelite doesn't have a great reputation for glass repair, so there's that too).

Is the windshield film simply for UV blocking or does it actually protect the car from debris?

Old 08-28-2015, 02:08 PM

I saw their test car for the windshield film and it's the same type of material used for the clear bra, but has gone through some type of DOT certification to be legal for windshields. The purpose is to protect the windshield; it's not a window tint for UV blocking.

I'm sure you're right about the quality of the film. The cheap ones will degrade prematurely. 3M seems to be a quality product and so is XPEL. EAS uses a product (can't remember the name; something with sun in the name) that they've tested and they feel is better than either 3M or XPEL. On their website, they seem to indicate that their product will last the life of your car. I was mistaken when I said in my previous post that it only lasts 3-5 years. I think I should have been referring to their car/trailer, etc. wraps typically done for advertising purposes.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I saw their test car for the windshield film and it's the same type of material used for the clear bra, but has gone through some type of DOT certification to be legal for windshields. The purpose is to protect the windshield; it's not a window tint for UV blocking.

I'm sure you're right about the quality of the film. The cheap ones will degrade prematurely. 3M seems to be a quality product and so is XPEL. EAS uses a product (can't remember the name; something with sun in the name) that they've tested and they feel is better than either 3M or XPEL. On their website, they seem to indicate that their product will last the life of your car. I was mistaken when I said in my previous post that it only lasts 3-5 years. I think I should have been referring to their car/trailer, etc. wraps typically done for advertising purposes.
If I opt for it I have to decide what parts of the car (in addition to the windshield, which is a no-brainer) to protect. I can't afford a $4000 full wrap, but could get the biggest at risk areas wrapped, as some protection is better than none.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:59 PM

Really no reason for a full wrap unless you're driving some really high end car. Do the front end, side mirrors, and other areas particularly susceptible to stone chips and you'll be fine. Remember, if you go with EAS, they told me that they would not be offering the windshield protection until probably sometime in September. So, as of today, it's not offered, but check with them (it will not be cheap, around $400 I think).

Old 08-28-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Really no reason for a full wrap unless you're driving some really high end car. Do the front end, side mirrors, and other areas particularly susceptible to stone chips and you'll be fine. Remember, if you go with EAS, they told me that they would not be offering the windshield protection until probably sometime in September. So, as of today, it's not offered, but check with them (it will not be cheap, around $400 I think).
Just made an appointment with them. They do appear to have the windshield film available, from what I understand it was the larger sized cuts that were pending availability as they mentioned my windshield was small enough to do the job (I may have misheard though). My invoice shows the installation is called Clearplex Window treatment.

I wasn't able to get the bumper wrapped as it it cost nearly as much as all the other wraps put together, but most of the major high risk areas will be covered (hood, mirrors and fender). Just enough to give me peace of mind so I can actually enjoy driving the new car, and maybe I can add bumper protection later on, but really it's the windshield I was worried about more than anything else.

If you were waiting to get windshield film as well I'd give them a call, as it may be available now. They gave me a discount as part of a package deal, including detailing.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:02 PM

I'll be heading down there next week to get numbers made for my track car. I'll check with them then. Thanks for the tip.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I'll be heading down there next week to get numbers made for my track car. I'll check with them then. Thanks for the tip.
Thank YOU for the heads up! With the added windshield protection I can compensate what I'll pay for the install by raising the deductible on my comprehensive insurance and saving a bit there. The tradeoff definitely seems worth it for the peace of mind. Can't wait to take my new ride up Pikes Peak to celebrate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs