Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2017, 08:42 AM

1,013 posts, read 978,373 times

Advertisements

So do residents think we have enough water or we need to cut back? Is there a shortage?
I know the area is considered high desert, but there is significantly more precipitation here than in Arizona and Southern California.
The reason I ask is that I see most homes have lawns front and rear, and many common areas are covered with grass. What's more, it seems like that grass is very over watered.
So, I would think people should be conservative with water, but I see no evidence of that.
Of course people here are better than Arizona which has minimal rainfall and heavily watered golf courses everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 06:50 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,860,549 times
We just had a good rainfall over here on the westside - but the automatic sprinklers on some properties turn on anyway. This makes me crazy.

I agree we should conserve when and wherever possible. Yes we get more rain that AZ, but it's still pretty dry here. Planting Kentucky Bluegrass makes no sense. My house had small red rocks in the front yard when I bought it, and that's still what I have. I have planters for flowers here and there, but I am not interested in trying to grow what is not meant to grow in this region.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:44 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,843 times
Many neighbors in my little hood have private wells and water their lawns daily. Seems nuts to me but then I came from a place where water restrictions were enforced - drought or not.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:51 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Short term we're okay but long term we never are so we should always be conserving.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:55 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
All that bluegrass is an opportunity to reduce water demand hugely.

We could pay people to remove it, as Las Vegas did, or make it illegal, like Tucson, or jut keep raising water rates (the current plan) until people get fed up with those super high bills and remove it and do xeriscaping.

Developers use bluegrass because it gives an instant green carpet and it is relatively cheap to install. That makes a quick sale and that is all they care about.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:35 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,453 times
And just like conserving electricity the more you save (or use) the rates will need to be raised to maintain the utility companies profit margins, which are set by the State.

The more everyone saves, the higher the utility bills will be.

What a country!!

Old 06-02-2017, 07:40 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
IMO, we should always be mindful and cut back wherever possible. I've been reducing my lawn size gradually over the last 20 years and it is easily half of what it was when I first bought my home. However, I believe we have so many transplants from other areas that love the low COL, that water rates to maintain such a swath of grass are inconsequential to a large % of people. To see the contrast of that, spend some time driving around east of Circle Dr or Union Blvd in the central and southern parts of town were $$ is a bigger concern and you will see yard after yard of dirt and weeds.

We need some grass. Parks and common areas in larger, newer developments do need it. But I believe that even if these systems are installed with rain meters wired into irrigation systems, it will be only the occasional storm that dumps enough water to shut off the system. The sun and dryness in between storms is sufficient to override such controls more often than not. For personal yards, I'd bet most over watered areas are where owners simply don't know how to measure adequate water methods and set their system and forget it. Some wholesale education could gain a lot of mileage here, but again, if the family has a six figure income, I bet they don't spend much thought about it and simple chug forward.

The Southern Delivery System was implemented with the thought of supporting 2% population growth in the county through 2030. The team that manages that is also searching to diversify the water portfolio for growth beyond that i.e. they are trying to buy up water rights from other areas. In many cases, the western slope of Colorado but also renegotiation of rights downstream in Kansas and Oklahoma and Texas.

Drilling wells isn't the answer either. All that underground water can be depleted as well and water levels are dropping and some older, shallower wells are now dry. Plus, the size of the aquifers underneath us mean we are taping into the same water sources as Douglas County and other points north and east, which are growing as well.

Want to become rich, become a water attorney.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:55 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
And just like conserving electricity the more you save (or use) the rates will need to be raised to maintain the utility companies profit margins, which are set by the State.

What a country!!
It's why they're called "futility bills".

Old 06-03-2017, 01:04 AM

114 posts, read 125,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post

What a country!!
Add to that, the hoa's that require grass and don't allow xeriscape! Reminds me of the hoa's in Mountain Shadows area that were requiring wood shake shingles on the roof. It took the fire marshal to pass an ordinance banning wood shake shingles to stop them. Why is it that several minds working together seem to get dumber?

Old 06-03-2017, 09:24 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,453 times
Agree 100%!

I am very happy I xeriscaped during the drought in 2001-2003 and my water bills have been pretty low, but with the rate increases I see less and less of a benefit. I do have to spend more time pruning and weeding but I enjoy the different blooms each month and if you stick to native plants you can turn off the drip system once everything is well established.

Colorado actually passed laws during that drought because HOA's were mandating grass when many wanted to switch to xeriscape. Now HOA's have to allow it:

New Homeowners Association (HOA) Laws in Colorado | Nolo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs