Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 07:20 PM

1,013 posts, read 978,373 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know there are hoarders everywhere and probably not any different here. My real question is, with people living in large homes with huge basements, why are garages still full of stuff with cars parked in the driveway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 09:00 PM

116 posts, read 124,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Ok, I know there are hoarders everywhere and probably not any different here. My real question is, with people living in large homes with huge basements, why are garages still full of stuff with cars parked in the driveway?
I'm wondering the same thing myself!

Old 09-07-2017, 09:00 PM

830 posts, read 744,623 times
This is a common theme on my Nextdoor.

Typically met with, "Well, these garages are so small," or, "Where am I supposed to do my hobby then?" These are the same people who leave their cars unlocked and then complain when their chapstick or something useless is stolen.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:03 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Perhaps people who have a lot of stuff are attracted to relatively affordable large homes.

Also, quite a few still have twenty something boomerang kids.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:25 PM

1,951 posts, read 2,300,032 times
because garage sales are such hard work ?

Old 09-08-2017, 06:00 PM

1,013 posts, read 978,373 times
Keep those answers coming, this is rather amusing so far.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:18 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
Transplants who brought all there stuff with them when they moved, but had so much equity from the proceeds from their previous house sale, they picked up even more stuff.

Another one I've seen is they haven't finished their basement yet so all their basement junk sits in the garage.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:59 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,843 times
We're transplants and actually sold most of our stuff before we moved here. Even get by with one car and the car goes in the garage and not stuff. It's a universal American phenomenon - having too much stuff. The thing I wonder about here is all the RVs that sit in the driveway and/or street and apparently, rarely get used.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:12 AM

830 posts, read 744,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
We're transplants and actually sold most of our stuff before we moved here. Even get by with one car and the car goes in the garage and not stuff. It's a universal American phenomenon - having too much stuff. The thing I wonder about here is all the RVs that sit in the driveway and/or street and apparently, rarely get used.
They're just waiting for their next trip....or to be sold eventually.

Some cities have rules against that, that they can only be on the street 48 hours or something. Obviously not the springs.

That's why when we moved here we choose an HOA after previously not wanting one, because so many of the neighborhoods we looked at had RVs or other things in the road, when one neighborhood in the older part of Briargate had a few houses with cars parked on the lawn and junk outside. No thanks!

In Security we looked at an entire neighborhood with many garages converted to living space, and then at least 20 campers outside fully extended on the street. And then pretty much everyone else had an RV or something too. Our agent said that's why people moved there. Who really knows. My parents put their RV in a storage lot, and other people pave parts of their backyard for them.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:09 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
Some cities have rules against that, that they can only be on the street 48 hours or something. Obviously not the springs.
Actually, within Cos proper, there is an ordinance against this and recreational vehicles cannot be parked on a public street in the same spot for more than 24 hours to facilitate load/unloading. However, this is where the line between Community Service and Police responsibilities become blurred as the Code office will tell you to call the Police, and Police will tell you to call Code Enforcement. Given our current police force staffing levels, I'll place money that they absolutely will not deal with code violations unless they lead to safety issues and create havoc and mayhem they have to deal with as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of: