Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 03:34 AM

7,195 posts, read 9,339,263 times

Advertisements

It looks like the county is willing to change the rules so tiny houses may have a place here:

Tiny houses take a big step forward in El Paso County | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

A set of proposed regulations for tiny houses in El Paso County cleared its first hurdle on Tuesday.

Amendments to the county's land-use code that would allow the homes on certain parcels won the recommendation of the Planning Commission in a 7-to-1 vote. If county commissioners OK the changes, tiny houses will be permitted in agricultural zoning districts, on some residential lots and in recreational vehicle parks.

The rules would also be tweaked so that the structures could be used as permanent homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 04:55 AM

723 posts, read 572,145 times
I think one of the biggest impediments to the Tiny House movement is the local government with its minimum square foot zoning requirements.

Under the guise of "protecting property values," what they are really interested in is protecting their own revenue stream - property taxes.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:20 AM

4,035 posts, read 2,723,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I do think those regulations deserve a revisit - they were written before tiny houses were a thing. There was an article last year some time about an RV park/campground in Woodland Park where they were allowed because of something about the age of the park allowing them be grandfathered in on some older rules (i.e. an era of less regulation). There is a big enough market for these things that someone would be wise to make a way for them to have a place along the Front Range - someone could frankly get rich or richer off of it pretty easily.
A friend of mine who had been looking into a tiny house had investigated this location as well, due to the grandfathered laws. She ultimately couldn't do it, due to not being able to find a job in the area.

I personally couldn't do the tiny house thing myself. I look at them, and think they'd be neat for a long weekend or something, but I couldn't see a permanent move into one. Another friend of mine (not the same one as mentioned above) is looking into these as a possible future home, but I can see it for her--she's always been a minimalist (and she's now in her mid-40's), and she's always traveling and staying in bed and breakfast places, hostels, the like, so the minimalism of a tiny house is something she's definitely used to/comfortable with.

I figure more power to you if you can make it work. I just know I couldn't.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:46 AM

216 posts, read 189,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
I think one of the biggest impediments to the Tiny House movement is the local government with its minimum square foot zoning requirements.

Under the guise of "protecting property values," what they are really interested in is protecting their own revenue stream - property taxes.
Yup, this is so true. Where I'm living now outside of Rochester, NY, a single-family home cannot be under 1,000 square feet and this disqualifies tiny houses.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:22 AM

5,365 posts, read 5,149,735 times
Living in an apartment just over 600 sqft. I get annoyed at how small it is if I spend a weekend in it without doing too much outside of it. It feels confining. As a single person, I wouldn't need more than 1800 sqft, but it's nice to have more than a living room / kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom. More sqft isn't a necessity, but it'd be something it'd be worth sacrificing some for.

I don't know how someone could live enjoyably in a tiny home with that as their full time residence, if they could afford more. I can see how they would be attractive vacation homes though.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Living in an apartment just over 600 sqft. I get annoyed at how small it is if I spend a weekend in it without doing too much outside of it. It feels confining. As a single person, I wouldn't need more than 1800 sqft, but it's nice to have more than a living room / kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom. More sqft isn't a necessity, but it'd be something it'd be worth sacrificing some for.

I don't know how someone could live enjoyably in a tiny home with that as their full time residence, if they could afford more. I can see how they would be attractive vacation homes though.
Phil, I'm moving to Colorado Springs next September and I'll probably end up with an apartment similar to yours. I lost my wife this past June and am looking to start a new life and decided to retire early, on the cheap, so I'll need to control my costs/rent and that means a smaller one bedroom apartment. I'm actually looking forward to living in a smaller place as I'm currently living in a three bedroom townhouse and it's a lot of upkeep. I'm looking to simplify my life and wish to shed my yard work and snow shoveling duties. I'm a bigger guy, so a tiny house wouldn't be a good fit for me.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:37 PM

5,365 posts, read 5,149,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochester_veteran View Post
Phil, I'm moving to Colorado Springs next September and I'll probably end up with an apartment similar to yours. I lost my wife this past June and am looking to start a new life and decided to retire early, on the cheap, so I'll need to control my costs/rent and that means a smaller one bedroom apartment. I'm actually looking forward to living in a smaller place as I'm currently living in a three bedroom townhouse and it's a lot of upkeep. I'm looking to simplify my life and wish to shed my yard work and snow shoveling duties. I'm a bigger guy, so a tiny house wouldn't be a good fit for me.
Sorry to hear that about your wife . I would definitely do a town home to minimise outside maintenance. I can see how 3 bedrooms would be a bit much but I feel like 600 sqft, 1 bed is a bit small (IMO). Somewhere like 800 sqft would be a good middle point, where it's easy to clean and affordable, but a still allows little more counter space, room for 2 couches and a decent sized dinner table...

You'll definitely get rid of the snow shovelling by coming to the Springs

Old 11-14-2017, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Sorry to hear that about your wife . I would definitely do a town home to minimise outside maintenance. I can see how 3 bedrooms would be a bit much but I feel like 600 sqft, 1 bed is a bit small (IMO). Somewhere like 800 sqft would be a good middle point, where it's easy to clean and affordable, but a still allows little more counter space, room for 2 couches and a decent sized dinner table...

You'll definitely get rid of the snow shovelling by coming to the Springs
Thanks Phil P, it's been a rough time. 3 bedrooms with a big finished room in the basement. It was perfect for us when the kids were younger and all home, but now that it's just me, it's way too big. I'm going small for starters and then see how it goes. I'm getting rid of most of my stuff and will buy a couch and recliner once I get out to Colorado Springs. I'm hoping my two kids that are still here will eventually join me and if that's the case, I'll get a bigger place so I can help them get started.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:49 PM

830 posts, read 745,641 times
I'd much rather see tiny houses for the homeless rather than those poorly constructed tents near the river on i25. My mom was shocked when she came to visit and noticed a homeless camp off the highway. Also, last week in the news one caught fire, and since moving further south, away from my beloved, "Powers Bubble," I notice many tend to be walking around strip malls, sleeping next to roads, hanging at the library, filling up the ER, etc.

We visited the shopping area near the Broadmoor this weekend, but the Home Depot on South Gate I believe, and there were at least 5 just sadly meandering about the shopping area, one was sleeping in a rag tag blanket in the grass across from On The Border.

Never in Denver did I see them outside of begging on corners or downtown or pushing shopping carts. Here they appear to be everywhere and my phone brings up their camps but size. Some claim 20-30 tents.

Get these people tiny homes or something! IDC if they're on drugs, mentally ill whatever....even if they're just broke, they need somewhere to go... maybe out but the VW lot. They can have their own store, ER, drug treatment, job program, farming? Idk...but it's really sad.

Tiny House for college and retirees might be a good idea too.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,755 posts, read 58,140,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
I'd much rather see tiny houses for the homeless rather than those poorly constructed tents near the river on i25. ...

Get these people tiny homes or something! IDC if they're on drugs, mentally ill whatever....even if they're just broke, they need somewhere to go... maybe out but the VW lot. They can have their own store, ER, drug treatment, job program, farming? Idk...but it's really sad.

Tiny House for college and retirees might be a good idea too.
Homeless would LOVE a $100k Tiny house, and they are getting them in Portland, OR, who has a program where the city pays for the tiny house if YOU will put it in your backyard... After 7 yrs, it is YOURs to keep / rent out. (We had a tiny house convention this weekend) I didn't go, cuz I can still build a NICE small ~ 1200 SF home on 5 acre view lot for under $100k, and have great equity built for life... Or (more often) I build a 4,000 SF shop with an apartment for <$60k) that would hold 20 homeless

sad, but the PORTLAND homeless REFUSED a wonderful empty jail (400 beds / showers / access to transit...)

Portland setup Dignity Village almost 20 yrs ago,,, https://dignityvillage.org/

Today... (it was SO SUCCESSFUL) they have as many as 600 new homeless tent-site / RVs squatting on the roadways reported / week!

Actually many homeless are turned of by the 'self policing' of Dignity Village. Too many Rules
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs