Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2017, 09:12 PM

5 posts, read 3,019 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Phoenix, AZ and honestly cant stand living here anymore, I was born and raised in Phoenix (30yrs in the valley) and it has become way too crowded and I would like to try somewhere less over populated, and has actual seasons besides warm/HOT!. I am currently looking at Colorado springs, CO. I currently work as a massage therapist, and while I do well in Phoenix, I was wondering how the job market is in Colorado springs, and also if there is much to do in the area? I have yet to visit Colorado, but am planning a trip to Denver and Colorado springs in March 2018. Any advice from someone with experience in either Colorado springs, or the surrounding areas, I would really appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 06:06 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
There IS much to do in the area, but whether the dominant things would be your cup of tea is hard to say. The job market is pretty good in Colorado Springs right now but I can't say how that translates to your industry in particular vs. where you currently are. My best advice is before you go very far down any road you really need to come visit and not just with tourist eyes. If you think Phoenix is overpopulated you will probably think the same about Denver. Maybe not Colorado Springs yet, but come and see and decide.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:14 PM

5 posts, read 3,019 times
Thanks Otowi!

I am excited to visit Colorado springs early next year!. I'm a prety active person in my own, and enjoy playing soccer, running, fitness, and hiking when the weather permits out here in Phoenix (though that also means hiking trails are very busy then). I have looked into a couple job boards for my industry (Indeed, Zip recruiter) just to get a jist of how many companies are in need/hiring for massage therapists in Colorado springs. How is traffic getting from Denver to Colorado springs? Also, I have heard rentals in Colorado springs are becoming harder to come by as it is getting more populated there? Any areas to avoid when looking for rentals in Colorado springs?

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-07-2017, 05:55 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Lots of opportunities for hiking in Colorado Springs, lots of running clubs and just people running in general, etc. Denver to Colorado Springs traffic can be problematic. I definitely would deter anyone from thinking of it as a regular commute. Yes, rentals are getting harder to come by and prices are rising over the past several years. As for areas to avoid, there are lots of opinions but certain areas come up regularly but may still be great for you depending on your circumstances - the entire city of COS is relatively safe, - there are several threads on this topic that I'd suggest you look through and see if you have more specific questions.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:25 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
Just off the top of my head, I think we have had at least three massage therapist ask about moving to Cos this year on this board. Does that mean all the jobs are taken, hardly. I'd agree starting with Indeed, Zip, Monster, etc. I personally have had very little luck with them, but my background is much more generic. Also check Connecting Colorado for a much more local view of openings. Healthcare is a big industry here, so I'd also suggest looking into the bigger organizations as well; UC Health Colorado and Penrose-St Francis are the largest.

Generally speaking, Colo Spgs tends to have a very health conscious populous. Activities abound both indoor and outdoors so I'm sure you can find plenty of ways to spend your free time. Yes, it has been growing, quite significantly lately so prices are rising. We have a double edged sword here, desirability of the location attracts people here so rents and home prices are rising. However, that same desirability means more people are willing to work for less to be here so wages have not risen as rapidly as the cost of living. Some friends of mine refer to it as the Pikes Peak tax. So you may find rents comparable to the Phoenix metro area while pay is 10-20% less.

Pay can be restored in Denver, but rents will also be much higher. There is a percentage of population that commute to Denver for work. I wouldn't recommend it though. Congestion on I25 is severe and a single accident can turn a 90 minute drive into 3 hours. Because of the volume of traffic on that stretch of highway, accidents are a regularity.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-12-2017 at 08:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs