Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 01:43 PM

812 posts, read 1,472,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Broadmoor Bluffs is full of new money posers the real elites live on Wood Avenue.
That's funny, and sort of true except that plenty of new money posers have discovered Wood Ave. I'd say the "real elites" are sort of scattered about (and attempting to be anonymous) the actual Broadmoor neighborhood, probably a few still about the old north end (though most of those houses have looooooong since been sold off (to new money posers) by the out-of-state heirs of the local "real elites" of eras past, and certainly a few are in newer houses on the lots they retained overlooking Kissing Camels, having sold the others over the decades. Most of these "real elites" come from families that haven't actually worked in any productive manner in generations, not that there's anything, ahem, wrong with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 07:02 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,405,150 times
There are still a few old money families in ONEN. There are a few more in the older areas of the Broadmoor. There are even some in Skyway. There are a number of them in Cedar Heights. There are a few more in Kissing Camels. There are some more scattered around older areas of Rockrimmon and up into Peregrin. I wouldn't be surprised to hear there are some that have moved to Stratton preserve.

I think the number of old money families here around would certainly surprise some people.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:06 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,391,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Sorry if totally off topic, but why would someone making less than 35k, have 4 kids?
This is why people don't want a development like this next door. Can't say I blame them.

Last edited by EastwardBound; 01-24-2018 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: add

Old 01-24-2018, 07:17 PM

830 posts, read 746,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
This is why people don't want a development like this next door. Can't say I blame them.
The limit was a family of four making $35k or under. Not 4 kids.

It could be a single mom with full time at Walmart, or a Dad with a stay at home mom and two kids with a low paying help desk job, my cousin is a CNA with two kids and a stay at home dad, I don't think she makes more than $16/hour...

Plus, what if you did have four children and one spouse was unable to work, or the economy went South, etc. etc.

Nothing is black and white. "Good," people or normal people or whatever find themselves in all sort of situations.

These people have to be employed, it's not a welfare project.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:09 AM

I wanted to add, that when I lived near Stetson Hills there was going to be an affordable complex built further north (by Woodmen I believe) and all of my neighbors on Nextdoor were complaining about that too...until some poor lady was talking about her disabled granddaughter being so excited to move in with her two children.

And, what many neighbors didn't realize is that there was already an affordable complex even closer, with no issues.

The above may have been slightly higher paying renters, but I think much of the fear about this will be unfounded.

I get not wanting to live next to crime or people who may be doing drugs or have, "low class," interests.

We lived in Aurora sandwiched between a real housing project (max income of $10k/year for a family of 4) and a market rate apartment complex. In addition to that, there were a few section 8 renters nearby. There were loud gang parties every Friday night, shootings, tweakers outside, fighting, rap music, etc. etc. It truly was awful. I would never purposely buy a property near a housing project ever again. But, this isn't that. These people work, The above were career welfare recipients, mainly, and sadly they we're mainly African American...the Latino ones typically did go to some type of job and weren't out there partying and shooting at each other.

Idk, I guess it feels to me, like it would be hurtful for these people looking forward to moving in, to know that make of their neighbors look down on them for whatever reason. Having been there-ish, I'd rather they get support and can live stigma-free.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:35 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,391,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
The limit was a family of four making $35k or under. Not 4 kids.

It could be a single mom with full time at Walmart, or a Dad with a stay at home mom and two kids with a low paying help desk job, my cousin is a CNA with two kids and a stay at home dad, I don't think she makes more than $16/hour...

Plus, what if you did have four children and one spouse was unable to work, or the economy went South, etc. etc.

Nothing is black and white. "Good," people or normal people or whatever find themselves in all sort of situations.

These people have to be employed, it's not a welfare project.
Well, I don't have 4 kids and I know how to manage my money, so that isn't really part of the equation.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Well, I don't have 4 kids and I know how to manage my money, so that isn't really part of the equation.
My point was that we shouldn't automatically assume that these people are poor decision makers. The website said that a large portion are elderly or single parents.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:12 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,312,676 times
good bye for now Colorado all your job offers do not coincide with your cost of living ...

Old 01-27-2018, 07:36 PM

1,013 posts, read 981,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
good bye for now Colorado all your job offers do not coincide with your cost of living ...
I keep thinking that about California, but the costs keep going up.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:59 AM

7,206 posts, read 9,355,612 times
Default Settlement

https://gazette.com/news/battle-betw...3b792fe7d.html

"Construction of a contentious affordable housing project in Broadmoor Bluffs could begin within a month since its opponents lost yet another bid to derail the project.

El Paso County District Judge Michael McHenry denied the Broadmoor Bluffs Neighborhood Association’s latest challenge to The Ridge, a 60-unit complex catering to low-income individuals and families.

His ruling last week signaled the third and most decisive defeat for the neighborhood group since it began fighting the project and its developer nearly two years ago. And it marked the latest turn in a bitter battle that has included accusations by the developer of discrimination and civil rights violations."

For once, the NIMBYs lost. I think they will discover that their fear was overblown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs