Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 04:39 PM

8 posts, read 15,176 times

Advertisements

We are a non-denominational African American family who moved to Greeley a few years ago and now have an opportunity to move to Colorado Springs. We struggle with the lack of cultural diversity in Greeley, and all the churches we've attended offer basically the same thing. The preaching is decent, but the worship is not fulfilling. We're looking for worship that is more diverse (not all Rock Band style Jesus Culture worship teams, and not foot-stomping, hand-clapping ole school Gospel hymns either). Preferably something like the worship at the Potters House Denver, which has a good mix of styles. I am a worship leader myself, so I'm looking for a church that inspires me, and I'm hoping that the "Christian Mecca" has something to offer their small African American community that's not so predictable. Any Charismatic/non-denominational or Full Gospel churches out there that are a bit more progressive about diversity in worship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 04:42 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
I can tell you that with Fort Carson and all the USAF stuff here that diversity is alive and well, especially in the southern half of the area.

IMO there "should" be a church here more to your liking. I'm sure our regulars will chime in soon enough.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I can tell you that with Fort Carson and all the USAF stuff here that diversity is alive and well, especially in the southern half of the area.

IMO there "should" be a church here more to your liking. I'm sure our regulars will chime in soon enough.
Thanks--I know there are military installations around the area, so, yes, there may be more diversity in worship than I think! I'll wait to hear...

Old 01-06-2014, 02:33 PM

641 posts, read 2,277,049 times
You should give Rocky Mountain Calvary a try.

Rocky Mountain Calvary

It's a non-denominational Bible church, just off Academy and Austin Bluffs.

Contemporary worship and message in a very casual, environment.

Full of regular folks from Colorado Springs.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:54 PM

26 posts, read 37,180 times
Hi,

We're moving to COS in the Spring of 2015 and are looking for a church just like what you described! My husband and I have lived our entire lives in the Bay Area, California and have been blessed by living in a culturally diverse area and an abundance of culturally diverse churches choose from! And since our adopted daughter is biracial (1/2 Korean and 1/2 Mexican) , it's another reason why we also desire to live in a culturally diverse city and attend a culturally diverse church.

So, please let us know if you find a church!

Blessings, Janet

Old 01-23-2014, 10:33 AM

Thanks everyone--I'm starting to think the kind of church I'm looking for may be off the beaten path, so I'll ask around when I get there. Rocky Mountain Calvary seems like a nice church, but contemporary worship is not what I'm seeking. Thanks to all who responded. Janet from California--I'll post when I find it!

Old 01-23-2014, 10:39 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Here's a long shot, All Souls Universal Unitarian Church. I suggest call them and see if they provide what you want or if they know of a church that can.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:45 AM

Mike you are awesome for going to the extra trouble to help me, but we're not seeking a super liberal church setting--My husband and I are just used to non-denominational Gospel services (urban contemporary Gospel music, i.e. Israel Houghton, Marvin Sapp, Cece Winans, and Bible-based teaching ministries that do not focus on denominational doctrine (not staunch Baptist or conservative Pentecostal). For the sake of being PC, maybe I was too vague in my description. www.tphd.org is the website for the type of church I'm looking for--Black, Hispanic, and other ethnicities, with an overall Gospel flavor, because that's the type of worship music we play and teach.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,096 times
Coloradonewbie1,

I would recommend Rock Family Church to anyone that is looking for a balanced, biblical and living church within Colorado Springs. My family moved here over a year ago and have become members due to the true genuineness of the members, volunteers, and pastoral staff.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,697 times
Smile hey

:t ape:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs