Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 10:19 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Just saw the ad with the Mayor saying our Firefighters make $80K/year now- with pensions (of course).

Not sure if that is starting salary or not- if so they are doing pretty well.

I will vote NO on the issue when it comes up for a vote- I feel if every department were allowed to unionize it would drive costs through the roof.

We are already seeing how much more our cost of living has exploded here: https://gazette.com/business/colorad...1aa38cdcc.html

Of course for the newbies it is "Still better than where we came from!"- for other like low income/fixed income or folks who grew here/long-term residents not so much.
I just took time to read the Gazette article.

First, everyone needs to know that the Gazette is owned by a billionaire, a one-percenter, most of whom see ANY government as a mortal enemy denying them free rein to milk every last cent from us. The less power we have the more they like it.

So of course the Gazette is going to pimp a point of view that sows discord; in this article they say that electric utility rates have gone up higher than humma humma humma. So what. The Gazette doesn't explain why rates have gone up leaving us to make our own conclusion that the mean old guv'mint is incompetent or corrupt. I'll hazard a guess that CSU is now getting around to paying for years of deferred maintenance and modernization to its system.

The devil is always in the details and the Gazette won't go there; truth is not always in their best interests (i.e., the best interests of Phil Anschutz, multi-billionaire owner of The Broadmoor, Staples Arena, etc.,). The people who play divide and conquer games know they only have to say the rates have gone up at a higher rate (i.e., claim there's a problem). They don't need to say (lie) about who's to "blame" for this, they know most people will fill in the blanks with their pre-determined bias to believe the worst in others and blame da guv'mint.

I'm not sure I'd say the cost of living in COLO SPGS has 'exploded' since it's still below the national average and I don't see any correlation given to prove that collective bargaining is tied to the cost of living in COLO SPGS.

I do know that the Koch brother's network of hard-right / libertarian billionaires who provide tremendous amounts of money to GOP pols are bitterly opposed to all labor unions and have a visceral hatred of public employee unions. The Kochs own Scott Walker of WI and after elected Governor of WI the Kochs got their payback from Walker who put an end to collective bargaining of WI public employees.

Mayor Bach took Koch money and contracted-out the jobs of city garage mechanics. I'm sure Strothers took Koch money too and his payback will be to kill collective bargaining of your city firefighters. Right wing propaganda has divided people to where one set of workers in COLO SPGS are voting to limit the middle class existence of other workers. Divide and conquer rolls on; 99% of us are the victims.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 11:58 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Good question Mike. Is Colorado a right to work state like Arizona?
YES it is.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:05 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
YES it is.
"Right to work" is another big lie foisted upon (mostly) southern states by the billionaire class who've long funded a lobbying group to push their agenda. It's just another way to say 'union busting' so that we get less and they get more. Millions of people have fallen to the propaganda of the lobbyists and gladly vote against their own best interests, which has been studied by academics who find such thinking rampant in red states where lower levels of educational funding and achievement makes much of the population susceptible to propaganda and LIES. Yes, the Koch network is actively funding this bunch too, they've a whole octopus of arms into many aspects of lobbying at all levels of government.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs