Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 10:52 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,380,669 times

Advertisements

I don't really care. I use Bestway and I love them. I lived in Henderson Nevada for a time and they had city trash service and it was absolutely awful. They totally refused to pick up anything that was outside the cans, for any reason, and they all had these trucks where an automated arm came down to pick up the can and dump it (and only one driver/operator).

Bestway on the other hand, has actual people that dump the cans, and they will always take the extra stuff. They're even nice enough to grab my cans from the house if I forget to put them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 03:14 AM

7,193 posts, read 9,335,600 times
We also use Bestway and they do an exceptional job. Competition is great for the customers.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:58 AM

686 posts, read 1,102,437 times
Very pleased with Bestway - they take everything you put out, even outside of your can, or at least that is what I have observed. It is my understanding that our homeowners association has contracted with Bestway. In other words, I have to use them, can't contract with, say, Waste Management. So I am not sure what others report about seeing different trash services on their street; I have only lived here a couple of months so I am not an authority on it, but I do like Bestway to second what others are saying here.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:02 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,848,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
As my bill just came due again, I am wondering why it is that Colo Springs trash and recycling services aren't provided as a city service like most large cities do? They could contract with existing companies by area. Seems really inefficient to have multiple private waste companies going up and down alleys and streets every day and with recycling as an add-on option, many choose not to recycle at all.
I so agree with you. Years ago, when we lived in Denver, trash was picked up by the city. Of course, was included in our taxes. I don't know what they do in Denver, these days. Competition is great, but in our neighborhood it seems like we have trash trucks at least 4 times a week. WM, is high, but they are good.

Seems like a lot of pollution, all the trash trucks.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:25 AM

1,013 posts, read 979,177 times
Quote:
As my bill just came due again, I am wondering why it is that Colo Springs trash and recycling services aren't provided as a city service like most large cities do? They could contract with existing companies by area. Seems really inefficient to have multiple private waste companies going up and down alleys and streets every day and with recycling as an add-on option, many choose not to recycle at all.
You could make the same argument about a lot of businesses and services? Competition is good, and taxes are irreversible.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:49 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
I so agree with you. Years ago, when we lived in Denver, trash was picked up by the city. Of course, was included in our taxes. I don't know what they do in Denver, these days. Competition is great, but in our neighborhood it seems like we have trash trucks at least 4 times a week. WM, is high, but they are good.

Seems like a lot of pollution, all the trash trucks.

Denver still has "free" trash pickup, but charges for recycling. My sister lives in Denver and uses the trash service, but not the recycling. They have two 64 gallon toters. One is for trash that comes on Tuesdays, and the other is for recycling (that they don't use) and is picked up every other Tuesday. Denver also provides composting toters, and seasonal special pickups for tree branches, bagged leaves and other yard waste, furniture and large items.

I live in a suburb of Tucson and there is no "free" trash. We have a choice between WM, Republic and Bestway. They're all about the same cost for the trash using a 95 gallon toter, but Republic offers recycling with a 64 gallon toter. Waste Management doesn't offer recycling in our area, but they do in Tucson.

I use Republic, as do most of the homes on my cul-de-sac because they offer recycling in our neighborhood. I think only 2 residents on my street use WM because they don't recycle, and none use Bestway. Republic comes on Monday around 10:00 a.m. for trash, and the recycling truck comes by about 11:30 a.m. I like that as I'm not a morning person. WM comes on Tuesdays about 7:00 a.m. We can't put our toters out the night before because we have coyotes and javalina who dump over the toters and make a mess. The later pickup is why most of us chose Republic.

This is what I have from Republic:
1 Waste Container 95 Gal, 1 Lift Per Week
Residential Service 05/01-07/31 $25.50
1 All-In-One Recycling 64 Gal, 1 Lift Per Week
Recycling Service 05/01-07/31 $25.50

This is Waste Management's charge:
Trash Pickup Service 96 Gallon Container (1)$10.00
Misc. Charges$14.83

Fuel/Environmental Charge* $5.36

Recyclable Materials Offset $2.70

Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge* $0.77
Total*$24.83

Last edited by Marcy1210; 06-05-2019 at 12:52 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-05-2019, 02:23 PM

1,013 posts, read 979,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post

This is Waste Management's charge:
Trash Pickup Service 96 Gallon Container (1)$10.00
Misc. Charges$14.83

Fuel/Environmental Charge* $5.36

Recyclable Materials Offset $2.70

Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge* $0.77
Total*$24.83
Interesting. I use Waste Management trash and recycling and it comes out of my HOA. Total HOA is $25 a month.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:15 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,401,819 times
I think its nuts that all these tree limbs on sidewalks and streets are going to sit around for weeks.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:14 PM

46 posts, read 34,080 times
Quote:
I think its nuts that all these tree limbs on sidewalks and streets are going to sit around for weeks.
There are a lot of streets with a lot of limbs to care for.

I am sure the city would love it if you volunteered to help out.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:28 AM

753 posts, read 1,105,756 times
Just a reminder, you can drop off tree branches and yard waste at Rocky Top Resources for free on Saturdays with a food bank donation. My experience has been that they waive any fee for small loads on weekdays too (e.g., what I could fit in the back of my compact hatchback car). They're located on Las Vegas, past the sewage plant and almost under the MLK bypass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs