Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 11:00 AM

27 posts, read 51,963 times

Advertisements

We are moving to COS next month and will be living in an area with a lot of black bears & bobcats that frequently come near/on the property. We have a 65lb boxer and we are kinda worried about his safety in our yard. Has anyone had any bad experiences with their pets in bear country? Any tips to keep your pets safe, aside from watching them like a hawk while they do their thing outside? He's never been around bears or mountain predators before so I'm not sure how he would react to one, but my guess is that he'd be curious if he saw one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 04:24 PM

753 posts, read 1,105,594 times
When I was a kid we used to have a summer camp in Upper Michigan. There were a few times when black bears came looking for trash (etc) at night and the dogs would sure let us know about it (we had 2 malamutes). I think we either got the dogs inside or the bear left on his own due to all the noise and commotion. IMO, a bigger problem with living in bear country was that the dogs seemed to have a remarkable propensity for rolling in any bear poop they could find. Porcupine and skunk encounters were also a much more common problem than bears.

I do not think you need to worry about bobcats as they are much smaller than your 65lb dog, and most dogs seem to figure out that it's best to leave cats alone after getting slapped on the nose a couple times.

Old 05-17-2021, 04:48 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,708,268 times
I would be more concerned about coyotes. In our old neighborhood our neighbors lost dogs to coyotes, even dogs behind fences.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:28 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,326,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I would be more concerned about coyotes. In our old neighborhood our neighbors lost dogs to coyotes, even dogs behind fences.
Shoot them with a .22 if they attack dogs behind fences.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:30 PM

Maybe the dog and bears can become friends.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:46 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,708,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
In the cases I am aware of, owners let their Snuffi out to pee in the fenced yard only to find no more Snuffi a few minutes later.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
In the cases I am aware of, owners let their Snuffi out to pee in the fenced yard only to find no more Snuffi a few minutes later.
Wow, there must be a pack of them looking in yards. I heard of people losing cats to 'yotes but not dogs until now.

Shoot them it they get any where close to the yards. They're not considered game animals, so it should be legal. I'm not a hunter but if it comes between 'yotes and my pet...

Maybe light off cherry bombs/M80s if legal and they get close to a yard. That's what some people in Alaska did so polar bears wouldn't get too close. These same polar bears became buddies with the sled dogs.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:52 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,182,960 times
A 65 pound boxer is probably pretty safe. Mountain lions will snatch small dogs, and while a 65 pound boxer is something a mountain lion could obivously take on, it's enough of a challenge that you don't read about that sort of thing happening too often. It's usually smaller dogs.

Bobcats aren't a concern for a dog like that, and black bears don't like to seek out fights with animals up by a house. These things aren't impossible, and you'll see a news story from time to time about them happening -- but it would be very outside the norm for a black bear to behave like that. They really are generally quite passive creatures that feed mostly on plants.

I also doubt coyotes want to tangle with a 65 pound boxer if they don't have to. I see a coyote on my street about once a month, and most of my neighbors have dogs. I haven't seen any of the pooches go missing. Most coyotes are under 65 pounds.

Old 05-18-2021, 04:14 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,329,700 times
We live in an area adjacent to wild area with an undeveloped creek. As such, the area frequently attracts coyotes. We fenced our yard to keep the wildlife out of the yard. It's normal to see coyotes right up to our fence. They are pretty bold. However, I've never had them go over the fence to attack our fearless mini-dachshunds. Those stupid dogs go right up to the fence to bark at the coyotes.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:57 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,395,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Coyotes are common in the city and it is entirely possible to have a home within the city limits that comes up against a wild land interface. Shooting animals in your yard inside the city limits will lead to a host of complications.

I live near the downtown area of Cos. I have seen within my yard: deer, coyotes, fox, bobcats, and skunks. Within three blocks of my house I have seen bear, moose, and cougars.

Generally speaking, most wildlife don't attack humans and rarely go after large dogs. Small children and small dogs I would certainly keep an eye on if you are anywhere near a water source or near a wildland interface. The storm drainage system in Cos is like wildlife highways that provide them access throughout the city. This is how we get cougars stuck in trees near Academy Blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs