Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:44 AM

14 posts, read 29,451 times

Advertisements

I am a 39-year old African American Female who recently moved to Colorado Springs. I have developed an interest in hiking in the North Cheyenne Canon area over the last 4 months. I am looking for other African Americans in the Colorado Springs area to form a African American Hiking Group. I am a beginner therefore I am looking to start with intermediate and beginner trails throughout the Springs. Contact me if you or anyone you know maybe interested.

The idea to start a AA hiking group and look for other AA hikers developed after reading this article:

Park ranger asks: Where are the black visitors?

Old 08-25-2009, 07:50 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,345 times
I saw your post and just wanted to say "good-on ya" for looking for African American hiking buddies.

I've spent a lot of time in the mountains of Colorado, camping, fishing, and riding ATV's and I've always found it odd that I've never seen African Americans or Latin Americans doing the same kinds of things. It's all white folks! (Not that there's anything wrong with that.......Seinfeld). I'm half Asian and I never see Asian folks either!! I'm the only one out there!! Why is that? *shrug*

And generally, the folks you come across or meet on the trail while hiking or camping, or cycling are all very friendly and always go out of their way to wave and say hello or help if you need it, because you immediately have a common interest.

Experiencing the outdoors, especially here in Colorado, is what makes living here truly unique.

I encourage you to keep doing what you're doing. BTW, if you ever get some free time, take a trip out to Gunnison or Lake City....easy drive....INCREDIBLE country......very beautiful.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:39 AM

6 posts, read 15,199 times
I guess I'd agree that African Americans are under-represented/disproportionately represented on Colorado trails (I admit to pretty much being "colorblind" when hiking, though....it's not something I've given a lot of thought to). I frequently hike the lower three or four miles of Barr Trail (the trail that leads to the top of Pikes Peak) and I don't think it's unusual to run into African Americans on that trail. So, if you don't get m/any responses to your query here, you might try a couple of hikes up Barr trail at some point. It's a well traveled trail and you'll meet lots of friendly hikers (and runners), whether or not they are African American.

Good luck and happy hiking!

Old 08-25-2009, 10:25 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,181,932 times
Apparently, or at least according to satirical pop culture, it's because activities like camping, traveling, and going outside, are reserved for pretentious white folks...

Stuff White People Like

All lies of course... I hope you can help break such stereotypes. You do your part and I'll do mine by not threatening to move to Canada.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:51 PM

Default I have come to enjoy hiking...

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments with positive feedback. I will consider the suggestion that have been. I have come to enjoy hiking and I am open to experiencing the many trails throughout the Springs and beyond with multitude of people. However, it is of special interest to me to find other African American hikers and I know that they are out there.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:38 PM

214 posts, read 1,310,127 times
Maybe just in the numbers?? (random numbers, someone can research the exact population etc)

Do some basic math-
Total local population; 300k
Total % of that that is AA; 8%
Total % of white race that hikes; .002 (that's 600ppl)
So even .002% of the 8% total would make your chances of seeing someone rather rare. (I get 48ttl)

Marvalisa is a trail blazer!

Old 08-26-2009, 06:22 AM

6,821 posts, read 10,513,511 times
I find that .002 hard to believe - maybe that comes from being a native Coloradoan!

In any case, good luck in finding your hiking buddies.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:25 AM

Thanks for the math... I don't necessarily need a large group I just want to get the ball rolling... and if they are out there I want to find them.

Thanks for your reply,
Marvalisa

Old 08-26-2009, 06:26 AM

Thanks Otowi... I'm keeping the faith

Old 08-26-2009, 05:36 PM

13 posts, read 41,906 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs