Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Colorado: Colorado springs homes for sale, safety, conservatives, family, violent crimes.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:34 AM

31 posts, read 93,951 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Colorado. It is my idea as I am sick of many of the things about Louisville. The crime is too high, the weather is bad, the pollution is bad, allergies are bad, traffic is bad, have to commute everywhere, etc. I have been investigating communities to relocate to and somehow come up with Colorado. Do you think Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, Loveland or anywhere out there would have a safe place to raise a family with good air and water quality, somewhere you don't have to drive everywhere to get anything, as well as being somewhat conservative, have good churches. I know these requirements are many but I am looking for an improvement. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 03:50 PM

118 posts, read 444,894 times
Colorado isnt that great we recently moved here. very dry!!! most things are brown year round and for those of us from the east and near a state that is very "GREEN" it is very hard to get used to. The pictures of colorado can be very deciving, please come visit first. Allergies about the same as everywhere, if not worse because of all the "wild grass and weeds" they leave alot of things to look natural cuz water is not around here. it dont rain much EVER! if you like water Colorado is not for you lol

If you are just thinking of areas and dont mind what state you move to look at Hamilton county Indiana especially carmel indiana very nice place

Oh and there is probably alot more crime here than where you are from. They have alot of so called "gangs" from Cali moving in. There are good and bad areas like everwhere, but honestly most of colorado is pretty behind the times and older looking

Old 07-07-2008, 05:51 PM

thanks for someone giving me a reply. I was wondering. I really want some honest views and yours sounds pretty eye-opening.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:55 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,374,659 times
Oh give me a break Trinity. It's obvious you're from the east coast. You and my spoiled brat of an ex wife from Connecticut would get along really well. You sound just like her.

(One of the reasons we're no longer married) She just "couldn't understand" why there's no grass here. We live in a semi arid desert. Get over it.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:05 PM

648 posts, read 2,940,129 times
I am a native to Colorado Springs. If you are use to green year around, then you will be disappointed. However, we get beautiful snow though. If you like being outdoors and enjoy; camping, hiking fishing, biking, skiing and geo-caching. Then Colorado Springs is for you.

If you are looking for a conservative area, then you would love Colorado Springs. There are a ton of church's and Focus on the Family is here.

I would say that just like anywhere, you have violence. That is what this world is coming to. I wouldn't compare the violence to California by any means. Every city has it's share of violence. City Data has the top 100 crime rate cities and Colorado Springs is not even on there.

Allergies are a toss up. My son has allergies and asthma. He suffers the most in Spring and Summer. We have looked into moving to another state and CO appears to be the best at this point for him. Because it is dryer and not green year around.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:00 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,914,911 times
I think Trinity is a bit "butt hurt" Ouch.

In any case, as a native of Colorado Springs, it is a great place to raise a family. Crime is typical of any city/area its size. With the economy, as in any place, as it is, it will go up but I have yet to feel unsafe as a single woman living alone.

My brothers have kids and they are thriving. C Springs is a great community for families and even stresses it. Most of the schools are very good around here but the top two are District 12 and District 20.

I am not a Christian but my entire family is and we have very good churches around here. Some are more progressive than others and there is the obvious connection (as noted) to Dobson and his minions. Outside of that, there are some very good churches around here.

As for traffic, ask Mike from back East and he can tell you that things are hugely different here than say places east of the Mississippi. Also, C Springs and even Denver are so much better than some places like LA, Phoenix and such. People complain a lot here, but honestly, it's not that bad at all.

Allergies. Well, most people I know have them so it's just run of the mill. I have them worse because I am still a (for shame) a smoker. But they aren't so bad I feel like I am living in a fog.

Back to driving. I live exactly a mile from all that I really need for everyday consumer goods. Grocery, bank, gas, smokes, Walgreens...I could go get paint, McDonalds, asian food, Subway, Papa Johns, Blockbuster, two tire/auto shops, two hair salons, one for men and boys, Starbucks (not that I am a fan), H&R Block, a car rental company, ceramics painting and firing place, taikwando, gymnastics, gosh and that's all in the same shopping center...there's more there but I barely have to leave my home (self-employed) to get all that I need. Wal*Mart is a quick trip (5 minutes max) and the mall (Chapel Hills) is only about 7 minutes from me.

Outside the brown of the winter months, Colorado Springs is a great place to live. My dad's family came here in 1954 (I think) and my dad has remained. A lot of people his age have a winter home either in Florida or in AZ...he's stayed because it offers him everything he needs. I agree with him. Both brothers stay here because it is a stable place to raise kids. My older bro and his wife moved up here from AZ because of the crime and how the population was not to their liking.

Anyhow, I suggest you come out for an extended period of time to see what works for you. I had a boss that lived in Ft. Collins who was also Mormon and he loved it up there. Not sure if he's still there but Ft. Fun (as it's sometimes known as) is also a great place to raise a family but since I haven't lived there I can't give you an honest look at what it's about...

Hope that helps.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:04 PM

399 posts, read 1,549,634 times
Default A CO Flower grows in a field of questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post

I am not a Christian but my entire family is and we have very good churches around here. Some are more progressive than others and there is the obvious connection (as noted) to Dobson and his minions. Outside of that, there are some very good churches around here.

That's Good, cause I am a UU. It's not a big deal down here in the Florida Keys, as there are a few people running around with signs down here to protest the equality...but they are ok with Unitarian Universalist over in the Springs? Good to hear!

Back to driving. I live exactly a mile from all that I really need for everyday consumer goods. Grocery, bank, gas, smokes, Walgreens...I could go get paint, McDonalds, asian food, Subway, Papa Johns, Blockbuster, two tire/auto shops, two hair salons, one for men and boys, Starbucks (not that I am a fan), H&R Block, a car rental company, ceramics painting and firing place, taikwando, gymnastics, gosh and that's all in the same shopping center...there's more there but I barely have to leave my home (self-employed) to get all that I need. Wal*Mart is a quick trip (5 minutes max) and the mall (Chapel Hills) is only about 7 minutes from me.

You have NO idea how nice this sounds to me. Choices are limited, and my favorite fast food rest is Arbys...It's 101.2 miles from here! A REAL TREAT! The Kmart here stinks...The Walmart is 123 miles away in Homestead, FL. Wow, must be nice to drive a mile to get all! So what's so bad about strip malls, ever been to Southern Cali? There is NO end!
By the way, a white flag is an order, CO Flower! I was a bit upset at first with the forums I read, then I realized that the most happy people don't post the most, the more miserable ones tend to. I haven't made the move for sure yet to COS, but I am happier to know that if I decide to go there, I can find some people that can see it as a happy place.

I found a tiny little room for rent at half the price, half the size too! it's about 8x10. sold all my furniture, and gave away about 1/2 of my things to Salvation Army! I am closer to being able to fit all my possessions on a Ford Sport Trac! But I can't leave just yet. Truck needs work, bills need caught up, but I can't help but think of the fact that to start my GI bill up in Sept of 09 I need to be a resident for a year there...Hmmm.

Thanks to all of you for your posts. I will either move there or stay here, but for now, it's leaning towards leaving. You just can't get a good quality education in the Florida Keys. (Sorry FKCC fans, you know it's true!) Any great input on UCCS would be great!

Old 07-07-2008, 09:13 PM

399 posts, read 1,549,634 times
Default Louisville Mom...

Hi there L Mom! I decided it would only be fair to post to you as well. I am from Fort Wayne Orig, and I know all about allergies and stuff from that area. I really don't want to return to the Midwest. I lived in South Florida 3 yrs now, and Hawaii for 5 before that. I would live there in an instant again, but it's hard to live there too!

I am in the same boat, for different reasons. I really miss hiking! I really miss Hawaii too. Maybe I should just move back there! But I thought how cool it would be to live in the West so I could see all that's out there while I built up a degree to float me over there, when I return, cause I know I will!

South Florida isn't the picnic you see when you come on vacation either. I guess what I am trying to say is make the decision, roll, and don't look back. My Gunny Sgt in the Navy (I was on a Marine Base in HI) told me that I needed to "bloom where I was planted" While I am sure he never made that up, it's smart!

You see Key West, a great little island community. I see people working 80+ hours a week to pay for a home, and that's renting out rooms to boot! A single family home here runs about 300-600k, and that's with the RECESSION! It was about 500-750k normally! The simple 1 bedroom place here runs about 1500.

But it's more than that. I could own a home in Indiana for about two years of paying rent down here! But I just don't feel the Midwest. After having mountains, oceans and tropical plants graze the senses, I hate to say it, I have been spoiled! And I can't look back! Sounds like to me you are also looking for the adventure a bit. After all, if you don't live life for that, what would you live it for?

That's why I am looking. Thinking of trying to accomplish a Doctorate while paying that seems a bit silly to me. And climbing some rocks on the weekend, seeing more sights, filling more digital camera files, and desert, mountains, snow, canyons, lakes, new cities, being a day drive from Vegas, that's what sounds awesome to me! I am 30, but still single and living!

That's my input, if you have some for me, feel free to spill it!

Old 07-08-2008, 06:42 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,374,659 times
Good luck to you Ghost Gecko.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:00 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. Do you guys know the main differences between Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, and Loveland? I have always lived in the midwest of the south and know anything there would be different. We are coming for a visit in August. Things in Louisville are getting worse as they may be everywhere with regard to crime, pollution, etc. The commute is a pain and you have to drive around for everything. We don't have much sun either. The humidity is horrible. Allergies are almost year-round. I want a better healthier place to raise my kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs