Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 12:20 PM

5 posts, read 16,649 times

Advertisements

I'm a single mom of a 2-year old who is looking to relocate from Northern California. I have lived in CA most of my life but am open to moving out of state for an improved lifestyle and lower cost of living. I am able to keep my current position and work from home.

My question is whether or not Colorado Springs would be a good fit for me and my son.

Here are the specific reasons I am looking to relocate:

1 - Cost of living - as a single mother, I am finding it very difficult to live within my means here. It's the typical "Californian moving to afford more house for less money"

2 - Schools - I'm wary of the state and future of CA public schools and looking for a good solid education for my son without having to pay for private instruction.

3 - Crime/Safety - I currently live in Oakland, a high-crime urban environment with pockets of very nice neighborhoods (if you can afford the real estate). I love the cultural diversity but am worried about our safety and tired of the violence. I understand that crime and safety issues can be everywhere, but I would like to live in a relatively safe neighborhood where I feel comfortable letting my child play outside.

Here are a couple of my worries:
Climate change - I have not lived in a climate where it snowed for more than 1 or 2 days a year. I'm wondering how much of an adjustment this will be and whether I would be able to tolerate the winter months. Are there other former Californians who have relocated here? What was your experience?

Lack of family/friends in CO - All my immediate relatives live in Southern California and an aunt in AZ. The rest live in Hawaii. Would I be isolating myself? Is it easy to meet and network with others in CO Springs? Is there a community of single parents here?

Would love to hear feedback or any other suggestions.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 02:46 PM

26,226 posts, read 49,079,778 times
It is certainly cheaper here in COLO SPGS, lots to pick from all over the area.

Schools are very good to excellent here. Better schools Districts are D20, D38, D12, D8, and D49. Main city is D11 which has good to excellent, depending on the particular school.

Crime rates are surely lower in the vast majority of this area. There is one area most of us would tell you to avoid and that is down near Citadel Mall on the south end of town. Streets like S. Murray or S. Academy or S. Chelton are often in the news due to criminal activity. Still, it's nothing like the horrors found in parts of Chicago, Los Angeles, East St Louis, etc. I've been to Oakland a few times over the years when I visited the Army base there (since closed) and though it had some rough parts, I always enjoys my visits, especially the food at Spenger's Fish Grotto up in Berkeley. In 1974 we honeymooned at the Holiday Inn along highway in Emeryville.

Climate here is dry, not humid; officially "alpine desert" with 12-14" of precip per year. Snows at times, every few years we get a real dumper of the stuff, but it usually melts quickly. Millions live here along I-25 from Pueblo to Fort Collins, i.e., snow/weather can't be that bad, eh. Winter's are usually sunny and with the dry air it feels comfortable. You'll adapt.

There are mom's groups on meetup. There would be some isolation, it depends on how much you pursue new friends. Others on here will have to address the question about single parents.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs