Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 08:04 PM

27 posts, read 49,280 times

Advertisements

We really had decided we wanted to live in D20 because we love the area and schools for our kids... However, now it looks as though my job will be in Pueblo area for now and probably transfer to Colorado Springs down the road.
We will be renting a year or so but don't want to move our kids to a different school once they settle in as we are moving from KS so want to get the area right the first time. Is it crazy to think of commuting from D20 to Pueblo? Or should we settle for Fountain D8 for a shorter commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 09:15 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
I think D8 or D3 would be reasonable; D20 is kind of nuts if you ask me. The schools are good in those districts as well.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:49 AM

553 posts, read 1,636,070 times
There are a ton of people who live in the Springs and commute to Denver every day. D20 (North side of town) to Pueblo is a shorter drive than that.

I don't see it as being an issue at all.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:18 PM

Google Maps puts it at around 50 minutes in 'normal/light' traffic, or 100 minutes daily, and about 110 miles daily. That's from downtown Pueblo to Briargate. Add 5-10 minutes for Rampart or Air Academy High Schools so essentially two hours driving and 120 miles each day.

To me, that's too much. But yes, some people do it.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:01 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,266 times
I have a coworker who commutes from Pueblo to North side of Colorado Springs five days a week. I think that is too much but it must work for her since she has a house.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:58 AM

27 posts, read 49,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Google Maps puts it at around 50 minutes in 'normal/light' traffic, or 100 minutes daily, and about 110 miles daily. That's from downtown Pueblo to Briargate. Add 5-10 minutes for Rampart or Air Academy High Schools so essentially two hours driving and 120 miles each day.

To me, that's too much. But yes, some people do it.
That's about what I had it figured at as well which is why we started looking at D8, but we haven't been down in that area in our previous trips out as we were planning on staying North. My job would also involve driving around pueblo so I figure roughly an additional 30-50 miles a day on top of the 120. Are D3 schools comparable to D8? They seem to be rated lower, especially a few of them.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:40 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
If I was doing a commute to Pueblo, I would definitely have picked Fountain over the North side of the Springs.

To be fair though, for renting the first year, I would've lived in Pueblo for that year. What if the position doesn't transfer? I know it stinks to have the kids changing schools twice, but if the position didn't transfer (and they already changed the tune once) you'd be stuck making an absurd commute for years, or having made it for a year and then moving to Pueblo and requiring the kids to make that change anyway.

Just something to think about. There are some fairly nice areas in Pueblo. There are also some fairly nice areas in Fountain, but the daily commute is generally a bad idea. Winter weather can be a little rough, and you'll be taking a dump on future generations by plowing through an absurd amount of gas. Might as well think of your grand kids.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:45 AM

Yes, at least in my opinion, D3 schools are comparable to D8. The one significant difference is D8 has some schools literally on the army base and gets some federal monies associated with that. But clientele, teachers, neighborhoods are all very similar. If you don't know the area, you can easily end up crossing the street and be in Fountain instead of Security or Widefield or vice versa and have no idea.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,322 times
One thing to consider is the relative cost of living in Pueblo vs. Colorado Springs. Also remember that Colorado Springs is very dependent on military spending. If the military gets cut the D20 school district experience might not be the best educational option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs