Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 01:32 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times

Advertisements

When I was house-shopping in the Tri-Lakes area, I noticed that most of the homes, even the newer ones, had electric appliances instead of gas. In CA, it usually the opposite - most people prefer gas and only homes from the 70's have electric.

I wonder if there's something I don't know about energy prices there - is natural gas exorbitantly more expensive than electricity or something? or, is there some other major drawback to gas appliances out there that I may be unaware of.

Also, in case I decide to convert my dryer and maybe my oven/stove to gas, can anyone recommend a good contractor for that? The house already has a gas furnace and fireplace, it would just need to be routed to the laundry room and kitchen. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 03:02 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
I've noticed the same thing in the Denver area. I hope someone here knows the answer.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:59 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
When I was house-shopping in the Tri-Lakes area, I noticed that most of the homes, even the newer ones, had electric appliances instead of gas. In CA, it usually the opposite - most people prefer gas and only homes from the 70's have electric.

I wonder if there's something I don't know about energy prices there - is natural gas exorbitantly more expensive than electricity or something? or, is there some other major drawback to gas appliances out there that I may be unaware of.

Also, in case I decide to convert my dryer and maybe my oven/stove to gas, can anyone recommend a good contractor for that? The house already has a gas furnace and fireplace, it would just need to be routed to the laundry room and kitchen. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Just my analysis on this topic (in regards to the future of both sources of energy) - gas is on its way up in price while electric is not. More and more countries are pushing for natural gas as a main source of fuel for many things (including cars). It won't be long before natural gas gets pricey. Whereas, electricity is getting more affordable with solar & wind sources. I think nuclear may be around the corner too (although still in the distant future - if at all). For an added feature - electric homes don't blow up either!

Old 08-25-2008, 09:17 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
Actually, I think Electric Appliances are just cheaper than gas appliances. Home builders all try to minimize costs.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:13 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,913,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Actually, I think Electric Appliances are just cheaper than gas appliances. Home builders all try to minimize costs.
This is exactly why they use electrical appliances. Also, the cost to hook up multiple gas lines versus 220 is much more expensive. My landlord looked into getting a gas stove here but running the line would have cost well over $2000.

Custom homes, on the other hand, you get options and even some of the semi-custom builders will give you that option but usually if you have a tract home, not so much.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:31 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
For clarification, what appliances are you talking about? I'm not sure I understand what you're seeing. Are you talking about electric heat?

When it's available, I've always had natural gas for heat, dryer, and water heater; electric for refrigerator, washer, and other household stuff; the only variable was gas or electric for cooking stove.

When I've lived in an area where natural gas is not available (many mountain areas), so propane is the only alternative, I always had all electric, with wood heat as a back up. (I always chose not to use propane.)

Sorry if this post doesn't make sense, but I'm not sure what you're asking about, while others clearly do know, because they've noticed the same things.

What appliances are you seeing that are electric (besides a cooking stove), that might otherwise be gas?

Old 08-26-2008, 07:14 AM

16 posts, read 147,630 times
Gas appliances do not perform well at altitude. Gas appliances do not burn efficiently at higher elevations because they were designed to use normal atmospheric air for combustion. The burner of a gas-fired appliance should be derated 4 percent for every 1,000 ft. above sea level. Some manufacturers make appliances specifically for high altitude but they cost more money. Right now I'm looking at replacing our old standard gas hot water heater with a Reem hot water heater that is designed specifically for high altitude. Our gas kitchen oven takes forever to preheat. We will replace it with an electric oven.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:40 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beam steering View Post
Gas appliances do not perform well at altitude. Gas appliances do not burn efficiently at higher elevations because they were designed to use normal atmospheric air for combustion. The burner of a gas-fired appliance should be derated 4 percent for every 1,000 ft. above sea level. Some manufacturers make appliances specifically for high altitude but they cost more money. Right now I'm looking at replacing our old standard gas hot water heater with a Reem hot water heater that is designed specifically for high altitude. Our gas kitchen oven takes forever to preheat. We will replace it with an electric oven.

Suzco - In my OP, I was talking mainly about my dryer and my stove/oven, which are now electric, but I prefer gas, at least for the stove. But others may be talking about others have mentioned heaters and other things.

Beam Steering - Great info about gas appliances, that was something I was not aware of at all! One question though, and I really don't mean this to sound critical, but just for clarity... Is that based on your own opinion, and maybe just your personal experience - is it possible you just had lousy gas appliances? OR, are you any kind of expert on the subject (like a contractor) that has seen the problem repeatedly and who can state it as a fact. Thanks again for your thoughtful response.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:22 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,913,962 times
I meant stove/oven and dryer. Most water heaters are gas as well as central heating systems.

Anyhow, I had a gas stove some years back and it performed beautifully (righ there in C Springs anyway - near I-25 and Bijou). I got really spoiled by that stove.

My dryer was gas too and it worked just fine as well.

I would assume that newer appliances can be adjusted for altitude and combustion much like a carburated engine. I'm just guessing. But if we use forced air gas in most heating and water heaters here I can't see why stove/ovens and dryers would be any different.

Huh.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:02 AM

252 posts, read 925,843 times
Personally, I prefer to cook on a gas stove. Cooking is a passion of mine and a gas stove is easier to regulate and quickly adjust the heat. But I'm sure that electricity is cheaper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs