Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:13 PM

10 posts, read 22,795 times

Advertisements

Hi, Me and my daughter are wanting to move out of the monsterous city of Phoenix and really only have a few ideas of possible relocation spots. We were thinking of somewhere in Colorado, or ?? Both of us are natives of Phx and I've only traveled the western states.

We are looking for: no or very low racial discrimination (we aren't use to that here in Phx); low poverty. I'm expecting pretty much any place will have more rain and cloudy days than Phx which we really want but I'm not sure how I will adjust to SNOW!

My daughter is college age and we both want fulltime jobs initially. She wants to go back to school after we are established financially. I would like a lively area that's kind of edgey but not liberal. I am an illustrator and muralist and mostly work out of my home although I plan to take any job for now. I'm also looking for a spirit-filled Christian church that's not judgemental.

Woah, this is a lot to ask for it seems like. I like Phoenix and it's hard to think about moving but we need to break away at this time, something I've wanted to do for a long time but been too afraid. Any thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 04:16 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,930,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustVisitPhoenix View Post
Hi, Me and my daughter are wanting to move out of the monsterous city of Phoenix and really only have a few ideas of possible relocation spots. We were thinking of somewhere in Colorado, or ?? Both of us are natives of Phx and I've only traveled the western states.

We are looking for: no or very low racial discrimination (we aren't use to that here in Phx); low poverty. I'm expecting pretty much any place will have more rain and cloudy days than Phx which we really want but I'm not sure how I will adjust to SNOW!

My daughter is college age and we both want fulltime jobs initially. She wants to go back to school after we are established financially. I would like a lively area that's kind of edgey but not liberal. I am an illustrator and muralist and mostly work out of my home although I plan to take any job for now. I'm also looking for a spirit-filled Christian church that's not judgemental.

Woah, this is a lot to ask for it seems like. I like Phoenix and it's hard to think about moving but we need to break away at this time, something I've wanted to do for a long time but been too afraid. Any thoughts???
Why do you want to move out of PHX besides the weather?
Why do you think moving will be better for you?

Old 01-08-2009, 05:01 PM

71 posts, read 326,948 times
I'm right there with you! We live in Surprise and are moving to Colorado Springs in May (as soon as school is over). I can NOT take another summer here! 15 years and counting...when the calendar hits November 1st and it's 100 degrees out, I'd say there must be a better place to live!

The Springs seems to have everything we want...climate, industry, schools, churches, etc.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:04 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,139,074 times
I was so happy to get out of AZ (lived in Kearny, AZ)! I was there 1986-1994. I love CO. Since you are AZ natives, you might even look at Pueblo, cost of living is even less. It will remind you of AZ more demographically and climate/landscaping, wildlife. Unless you are wanting more "green" around you, more snow, etc. Then look at northern Colorado Springs, Woodland Park, Black Forest, etc. Manitou would also be a good suggestion considering your artistic background (man if that isn't a judgemental statement I don't know what is!--artists living in Manitou....). But truth be known, there are several artists in Manitou and I think you would really like the Business Arts Center (BAC) that local artists rent out space to work. Essentially a building that hosts different mediums that people can pay a fee to use. It also has a small gallery and area that displays art for the local community to buy.

I too am interested in Mike's questions...why, why?

Old 01-09-2009, 07:47 AM

565 posts, read 1,850,726 times
With the current job market, I'd say look for the jobs first. You may find something in Denver rather than Colorado Springs but, you can still live South of Denver and enjoy the best of the Springs and Denver. You might find something in the Springs as well but, I wouldn't go through a permanent move before finding a job.

Renting for short term on the North side of Colorado Springs would allow you easy access to Denver and Colorado Springs for the job hunt. Rental prices are good right now in Colorado Springs - actually less than if you were to buy the same house in many cases. $1500/mo can get you a nice 3000 sq.ft. rental home.

There is also weekly stay suites off Powers just South of the I24/Platte intersection. They run under $200 a week.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:02 PM

85 posts, read 317,563 times
Where do you recommend for searching rentals? I'm not having too much luck with craigslist

Old 01-10-2009, 06:06 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,139,074 times
apartments, condo, or house?

Old 01-10-2009, 06:19 PM

85 posts, read 317,563 times
all three but prefer lofts downtown or old colorado city. Would like to stay with something modern.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:49 PM

26,292 posts, read 49,219,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodmb View Post
all three but prefer lofts downtown or old colorado city. Would like to stay with something modern.
I like Real Estate Listings, Homes for Sale and Rental Property Listings – REALTOR.com®

Select rentals and put in zip 80905 for OCC.

For more websites, google: colorado springs rentals

Old 01-11-2009, 09:16 PM

15 posts, read 52,142 times
Hey, check out caravan properties in colorado springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs