Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:21 AM

8 posts, read 86,972 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was looking at openly carrying a firearm in Colorado Springs. I looked online for information but I could not find much of anything. I know that it is legal under Colorado Law and since I can not find anything saying otherwise I assume it is legal in Colorado Springs. People were OK with open carry in the town where I used to live, but how is it received by people in Colorado Springs? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:24 AM

6,821 posts, read 10,512,019 times
Open carry is legal in many places, but not all, and in the middle of a big city it might not go over that well - but up in the hills it is standard. Concealed requires a permit.

Some reading: Powered by Google Docs General open carry law, etc.
El Paso County Sheriff's Office - Concealed Handgun Permit
Concealed permit application process
El Paso County led state change on permits for concealed guns | Gazette, The (Colorado Springs) | Find Articles at BNET
Concealed permits in Colorado originated here.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:25 AM

565 posts, read 1,847,445 times
Generally open carry is not recommended as there can be legal issues if someone decides to press that they felt threatened by you. I do see guys in their cowboy getup regularly carrying blackpowder or old Colt style revolvers regularly in the Manitou Springs area - accepted there.

Concealed carry permits are not difficult to get as long as you don't have a criminal record. Take a class here and then apply at the El Paso County Sherriff office. Colorado Springs and El Paso County have an extremely high percentage of concealed carry permit holders. I heard at one time that one in eight people in El Paso County have a permit - makes for good crime deterrance. Unfortunately sometimes there are mistakes such as the drunk college student who was pounding on someones door at 1 am drunk (thinking it was his house) - time may not be correct, can't remember what the report said, but it was late at night.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:26 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,999,208 times
Does anyone know about Class 3 / NFA weapons in CO Springs? I have a form 4 in Florida, I assume I can just do a change of address when I move out to the springs? Some FAQs I saw on-line say CO doesn't have any laws against Class 3 items, but some cities and local areas do.

It's also currently registered to a trust, are trusts required to be filed with the state in Colorado? In Florida you can just keep the document yourself and not even file it with the state.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:19 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,116,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Does anyone know about Class 3 / NFA weapons in CO Springs? I have a form 4 in Florida, I assume I can just do a change of address when I move out to the springs? Some FAQs I saw on-line say CO doesn't have any laws against Class 3 items, but some cities and local areas do.

It's also currently registered to a trust, are trusts required to be filed with the state in Colorado? In Florida you can just keep the document yourself and not even file it with the state.
My wife is an attorney practicing in Colorado who has drafted many trusts for Class 3 items. You do not have to register it with the state.

We also came from FL. Where did you come from?

Old 03-08-2010, 07:38 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,999,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
My wife is an attorney practicing in Colorado who has drafted many trusts for Class 3 items. You do not have to register it with the state.

We also came from FL. Where did you come from?
I'm not moved yet, but I'm from Deland

Old 03-09-2010, 07:09 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,116,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
I'm not moved yet, but I'm from Deland
Cool. We were near Ft. Lauderdale.

Good to be out of that place!!

Old 03-09-2010, 08:02 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,233 times
It's not illegal, but I don't know if it would be worth the headaches it might cause here in the city.

I'm a gun owner also, but I think carrying a side arm openly while at a restaurant or coffee shop would invite a bit of ridicule and ire. I've never seen anyone walking around Colorado Springs with a sidearm on their belt unless they were law enforcement and I think it would cause more commotion that it's worth. That isn't to say that I think it's wrong, I think it's easier to get a concealed carry permitt and not have to deal with it.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:46 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,288,020 times
Open carry in general is a bad idea, IMHO.

Another big consideration (I used to teach firearms courses) is that an openly carried weapon is FAR more likely to be the object of an attempt to take and/or use it against you. The last thing you ever want to do is get into a wrestling match with some idiot that wants to grab your pistol and either run off with it or use it on you or someone else nearby. With a concealed weapon, the element of surprise is yours, and the weapon's presence isn't part of the situation until it's in your hands and ready to use. With open carry, anyone within 15-20 feet has the element of surprise unless you're purposefully vigilant.

Most police curricula include hours of training focused specifically on how to keep that pistol in the holster, including how to read the body language of a potential attacker and literal street-fight-to-the-death hand-to-hand combat with a weapon-grabber. A good uniformed cop has a close-in space he will (must, really) defend aggressively for that reason. With an openly-carried weapon, you do not have the luxury of any lack of awareness of your surroundings or to turn your back on people.

I think most people that carry openly are trying to be noticed or make a statement, and not necessarily a good one at that.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:05 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,682 times
How odd. You will draw attention! I've lived in Colorado Springs for a long time. This is not the wild west. It's a civil community (far from perfect - but civil!!). Unless you are in costume, carring a gun would indicate you are going to rob or hurt someone. Don't be overly surprised if the police are called several times. Have your ID & paperwork ready!
Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs