Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:15 AM

641 posts, read 2,277,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTony View Post
I just spent a week in Colorado Springs. Here are my thoughts:

The old downtown area is very attractive--lots of nice old houses. The mountains are pretty and are very close to town. However, my overall impression of the city wasn't favorable. There's a lot of sprawl outside the historic center. There isn't much to do outside of checking out the mountains. The food options are very limited--I had really terrible Mexican food at several places (this seems to be a problem in Colorado compared to California and Texas. Note to Mexico--send some good cooks to Colorado!). People seemed friendly but oddly detached. I got a creepy feeling from the city overall (I know this is completely subjective), but I later found out the suicide rate is very high and somehow I'm not surprised. I definitely wouldn't recommend this city for single people interested in arts and music--Denver would be a much better city for you. It did snow a trace amount in mid-September and stayed cold and cloudy all week. At the end of the week, I was glad to be heading out of town for Denver, which I much preferred.
Your post is humorous to me.

You had some mediocre Mexican food and you think the people were friendly but "detached?" So the city just sucks! Were people you came across on the street just supposed to hug you? How were they detached?

What about the city creeped you out? Was it the vampire population downtown? It was prolly the vampires.....that's where they hang out......I'm told.

I'm curious to know where you got the information about the suicide rate? It didn't surprise you because you thought...."no wonder.....people who live here WOULD kill themselves?"

But in Denver, ALL the Mexican food is GREAT! People hug you on the streets and no one committs suicide! *meh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 01:30 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb057 View Post
Thats the problem with a majority of people in the springs...too busy hugging trees and are quick to oppose the military instead of support it. A lot of people forget you have the right to hug your trees, eat your granola bars, and wear your Birkenstocks because of people like myself that would die so you could have that right.
????? Are sure you weren't in Boulder? I was in the Air Force for 20 years, did my last four years here in the Springs and liked it so much I retired here (2004). I have seen nothing but support for the military here. If it weren't so, I would not have retired here. If anything, I would say that some people here are too conservative for my Libertarian leanings.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:00 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
I had really terrible Mexican food at several places

If they were eating in old Colorado City, I think I know what they're referring to... horrible Mexican food there... YEK!

High suicide rate? Compared to where? Obviously, in the 2 years we lived there I met no one who committed suicide. And since I view it as the most selfish act imaginable, I doubt I'd have cared if I met someone who attempted and failed. *shrug*

Old 10-13-2009, 09:51 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Please don't mix up the tragicaly high rate of suicide in the military, caused by long and frequent deployments to combat zones, with the suicide rate in Colorado Springs. The military rate skews the city rate.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:12 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,117,148 times
"People seemed friendly but oddly detached. I got a creepy feeling from the city overall (I know this is completely subjective), but I later found out the suicide rate is very high and somehow I'm not surprised." Are kidding me. DC area is creepy and has a ton more crime. I just moved here 2 weeks ago and people are as friendly and helpful as in the midwest. RP

Old 10-13-2009, 10:21 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Please don't mix up the tragicaly high rate of suicide in the military, caused by long and frequent deployments to combat zones, with the suicide rate in Colorado Springs. The military rate skews the city rate.
Agree. It's also quite tragic that these wonderful young patriots didn't get the help they needed for several years, though steps are now being taken to provide the sort of care and counseling needed to reduce the rate of Army suicides.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,085 times
We love most everything that COS has to offer. The biggest problems that we see is that there is no easy way to go east/west on the road system. North/south has plenty of options. The traffic lights seem to have a mind of their own. I know, all of this is petty, but it's the worst that I can think of.

froggin4colorado, I agree with you about VA. Very segregated, still. We moved out here from Williamsburg in '06.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:14 PM

309 posts, read 427,835 times
Default I would like to apologize

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb057 View Post
A) Which dog park-Palmer Park Dog Park

B) what were you doing-Why else do dog owners go to the dog park. To let my dogs socialize and have some fun.(Was with both my prior military working dogs, who are well behaved and trained)
This womans large untrained lab was attempting to mount my FIXED female... The woman said i shouldnt have brought a female dog in heat to the dog park...a fixed female dog doesnt go into heat...she should have left her untrained obese lab at home. Mind you this woman was also busy stuffing her face with dingdongs and ho-hos and not paying attention to what her animal was doing. Several times i asked her to control her dog...I told her on the 3rd time that i be hitting her dog with my dogs leash if she didnt come pull her dog off. My 70lb dog was practically jumping up in my arms to get away from this dog. he was biting at her ears to mount her...she was not enjoying it and had showed her teeth to this dog. My male was not very happy either. I should have let my male tear into him but im more responsible than that.My dogs are not aggressive unless given certain commands. Lucky for me a nice guy came over and helped pull this stupid dog off my female and also walked over to that woman and told her to do something about her dog. (I guess shes one of those ignorant people that thinks you can go to a dog park and just not pay attention.)

C) why would you care what she said?
Ask someone who has ever served in the military, when you put your life on the line for people who are ungrateful it gets a little irritating. Most people will shake your hand and tell you thank you for your service. I'm not even asking for that, but you would think that telling someone they are too militant to be anywhere is total BS that woman has the right to stuff her fat face and live in a country with freedoms because of people like myself.

Thats the problem with a majority of people in the springs...too busy hugging trees and are quick to oppose the military instead of support it. A lot of people forget you have the right to hug your trees, eat your granola bars, and wear your Birkenstocks because of people like myself that would die so you could have that right.
I would like to apologize for the woman who reacted to you the way she did in the dog park. Please don't think all of C/S is like that. On the rare occassions my husband and I have eaten out we have picked up the tab for military a couple of times because we do appreciate their service and think they are underpaid and underappreciated. Thank you for your service.

Once on a flight home from another country my seat assignment was next to a very large woman. I had to say excuse me to get the arm rest down between our seats and get my seat belt which happened to be under her bottom. She had the nerve to say to me, "You are pretty possessive about your space" to which I replied "Well we are required to buckle our seat belts!" I didn't say anything to anyone about paying full price for half a seat because she was in "my space". My point is, you run into rude people all the time in different situations, but that doesn't mean in certain situations, (dog park or plane), all people are rude. Unfortunately it is society today that has become so coarse and lacks repect for others. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, I don't blame you for being upset.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:52 AM

641 posts, read 2,277,049 times
SD Born,

I don't think you should feel obligated to apologize to someone on behalf of the whacko at the park. You didn't do it.

You're a sweet person though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs