Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:08 AM

6 posts, read 20,931 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Colorado Springs in February and will be stationed at Peterson AFB. Unfortunately, the chances of landing one of the new homes on Peterson seems slim. My backup plan is to live on base at Schriever and commute to Peterson.

I've checked out the Google street view photos, and from what I can tell, there really isn't much around Schriever (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). Does anyone have experience with the housing on base or the area in general? I assume the base itself is secure, but what about the surrounding area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 09:24 AM

598 posts, read 1,546,287 times
Unfortunately Schriever is out in the middle of nowhere. Base housing is limited there due to it being so new. You might want to check to see if it's even available to you since you'll be assigned to Peterson. Another option you have is to live on the Academy. There's quite a few living on the Academy who are stationed at Peterson. The housing is pretty nice. Good luck!

Old 12-14-2009, 09:30 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,072 times
You don't want to live on Schriever if you don't have to. It's very isolated and in the winter, the roads going to and from can be quite icy.

Between Peterson and the Academy.....or living off-base.....you should be fine. You'd have to go to Peterson for everything anyway. In my humblest opinion, living on Schriever would be too much like being on a stateside remote tour!

I know they're building like crazy on Peterson...perhaps the wait for a brand new place there would be worth it.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:36 AM

6 posts, read 20,931 times
I'm okay with living in the middle of nowhere, I'm married and have a daughter, so there's no need to be close to the nightlife. I see that the closest Wal-Mart is 30 minutes away! I called the Schriever housing office and they can guarantee a new house for me. The poor road conditions may be an issue, however.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:53 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,072 times
It would definitely be a trade-off. A new house on Schriever might be a good thing.

Peterson has a very big BX and Commissary and they are relatively new and they're connected to each other, so it might save you some Walmart trips.

You would be driving alot, but maybe it's worth it for new housing.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:25 PM

268 posts, read 1,129,791 times
I wouldn't live that far out in the middle of nowhere. The school districts are the rural country ones, which may or may not be bad. However, in my experience of seeing rural versus suburban, I'd chose suburban any day.

The road conditions will be terrible in the winter. You'll have a two lane road either way and both are not very well kept.

I'm a reservist out there and it's definitely an active duty base. The streets roll up after weekday work hours and anything that was open closes.

Maybe if you are the hermit type, but I really can't say enough bad things about that base.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:14 PM

60 posts, read 163,188 times
We pcs'd to Peterson back in May....we lived in base housing on the academy because it was in school district #20...we love the Elem school on the academy and it was just beautiful up there, lots of shopping right out the gate too. We recently bought a house right down the road from the academy and my husband commutes to Peterson. We like our area and the school district where we are. I don't know much about Shreiver except people do say it's in the middle of nowhere. I know they're building alot of houses on Peterson, and depending on your rank it might not be much of a wait. We love it here and if you have any more questions this is definantly the place to ask!! Good luck with your move!!

Old 12-15-2009, 09:49 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,287,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmas412 View Post
I'm okay with living in the middle of nowhere, I'm married and have a daughter, so there's no need to be close to the nightlife. I see that the closest Wal-Mart is 30 minutes away! I called the Schriever housing office and they can guarantee a new house for me. The poor road conditions may be an issue, however.
If you're married you'd better let the spouse have a look first, or you may be getting your a** kicked for the duration of your tour for that decision.

Schriever is 30 miles from most of the things your family will need in life. That drive will get old fast.

Why move to a nice place like Colorado Springs and live 30 miles away in an open desert?

Old 12-16-2009, 07:51 AM

598 posts, read 1,546,287 times
I'd would encourage you to check out the housing on the Academy, especially since you have a daughter. Great schools, as well as a great medical facility on the Academy. Everything is very close-by...mall, theater, gas stations, etc. I've done the drive to Schriever and it's not a good one at all, especially in the winter. Your wife may feel a bit isolated out there. Good luck!

Old 12-16-2009, 11:55 AM

553 posts, read 1,635,443 times
I'd also strongly consider buying a house in town. You can get a nice house for a reasonable price, deduct mortgage interest, and likely make a bit of a profit when it's time again to PCS. Plus, you could get something that's NOT a half hour out of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs