Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 11:40 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,107 times

Advertisements

PETA offers anti-meat trash cans for Colo. parks - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100311/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_peta_trash_cans;_ylt=AobtCye7WO5cb1F2yFE5Ay 3tiBIF;_ylu=X3oDMTJyMjhsMDRzBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwMz ExL3VzX29kZF9wZXRhX3RyYXNoX2NhbnMEcG9zAzEEc2VjA3lu X2FydGljbGVfc3VtbWFyeV9saXN0BHNsawNwZXRhb2ZmZXJzYW 4- - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 11:54 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,328 times
I have to admit, I have a REAL problem with the PETA people. Many years ago, I went to a shelter to adopt a second dog. There was a beautiful Golden Retriever on "doggie death row" that I was all ready to adopt. Why PETA sponsored shelters are "kill" shelters is hypocritical to me, but that is another topic.

Anyway, when we were filling out the adoption papers, the PETA lady stopds and says, "Your pug is not neutered?" I said, "no, he is the son of a BKC Champion and the grandson of a BKC Grand Champion. We do not intend to neuter him."

She SCREAMS at us, "YOU PEOPLE ARE BREEDERS!"

I said, "No we are not, but if we choose to stud him someday (which we never did), that is our perogative."

She said, "Well I will not adopt a dog to breeders." She obviously was not listening as radicals of any stripe seldom do. She then went on to give me the junk about how if he gets out and impregnates dogs all over the neighborhood and all the unwanted puppies that will come of it...yada, yada, yada. I, of course, explain how he is a house dog, is not allowed outside except to do his business and is always on a lease when we walk him. I also asked her how our intact male pug could possibly impregnate the spayed female Golden Retriever I wanted to adopt (we're breeders, dontcha know). This is irrelevant to the "true believer" of anything. Ideology and "true faith" will always get in the way of common sense and logic.

She then switched to the sob story of how the dog I wanted was to be euthenised within days if I didn't adopt her. I was her last hope. "Just go and get the pug neutered and you can save her."

I said, "Lady, I am ready to save this dog right here, right now. If you will not adopt her to us because of your ideology, then her death is on your head...not mine."

She says, "Well I simply won't adopt her to you." I said, "so be it...you just go and kill the dog then." And I walked out. What a bunch of ideologue losers.

If PETA wants to do this and put their stupid adverts on the cans and the city lets them, then fine. Then just need to know that I will ensure to put the remnants of my Big Mac in them for the PETA people to pick up.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:51 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,917,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I have to admit, I have a REAL problem with the PETA people.
Me too which is why I say a big fat "NO" to PeTA sponsoring parks trash cans. Hypocrites and a PR campaign that harms their message more than it helps.

In fact, I am against any large company or organization that isn't based locally. As much as I am not a fan, I would rather see Focus do something like that simply because they are local and this city has put up with a lot of backlash because of them...

Most important though is that we the citizens of this fine city do what we can to make sure our parks stay clean. I just wish the remaining 97% felt the same way because we all know the larger community works, "It's not my problem." I see it everyday in the apartments I live in...dog sh** all over the place because people are too lazy to pick up after their dogs and it looks bad on the rest of us dog owners who actually clean up here and in the park behind us.

I digress.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:18 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
I don't care for PETA, at least when their zealots treat people the way they did Fullback32. I don't want their trash cans in our parks, they'd be another spammy advertising eyesore, regardless of their non-profit status and good intentions.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:31 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,291,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I don't care for PETA, at least when their zealots treat people the way they did Fullback32. I don't want their trash cans in our parks, they'd be another spammy advertising eyesore, regardless of their non-profit status and good intentions.
I used to love visiting the People for the Eating of Tasty Animals website. I think PETA has a well-earned reputation as a group of fringe nutjobs that would rather see people die than lab rodents. Having them pay to put themselves on the side of trash cans seems entirely appropriate to me.

That said, I think spammy advertising is acceptable as an alternative to non-spammy trash all over the place and/or a closed park. If you don't want to see it...don't go there. And if the local community doesn't want to see it in their park, they should be afforded the option to pass a collection plate and adopt the park, sorta like the adopt-a-street-light program that's coming for people that want to pay a little extra to run some of the recently disconnected lights around town.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:04 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Ranger Rich at the Indy has a hilarious column today on the PETA proposal, which he refers to as our own local form of March Madness.

Here's one of my favorite excerpts from the piece:
- Several weeks ago the Clever Club that runs our penniless village removed the trash cans and unscrewed a lot of streetlight bulbs. In Phase II, each City Council member will be issued an accordion, a tin cup and a monkey. (The monkey, obviously, will be the one playing the accordion.)
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:22 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
I just read that story Mike. GREAT! Thanks for the link!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs