Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 11:36 AM

117 posts, read 344,722 times

Advertisements

Hi all-

I think I've narrowed down my list of where I want to relocate to two states with Colorado being one of them. (I would be returning to Colorado where I lived from 1996-2004 so I'm familiar with the state.)

The main question I have is how is the funding for public schools?

Ideally I would like to get hired on as a classified personnel with a local school district as either a special-ed parapro or a MS/HS security officer and then, in the evening or whenever I can I would like to return to school in order to further my education.

It seems like several states are cutting funding for public education and of course, the first people to go are the classified staff so any information about what's happening in Colorado would b e helpful.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 12:49 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
All systems here are tightening their belts, still, some hiring is always done. Check various school district websites for openings.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:13 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,774 times
A lot of places are cutting. I believe Colorado is right on the bottom of the list of providing school funding. I think (don't quote me on this) that the state only provides $6500 per pupil and then the individual school districts need to make up the rest.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:52 PM

117 posts, read 344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
A lot of places are cutting. I believe Colorado is right on the bottom of the list of providing school funding. I think (don't quote me on this) that the state only provides $6500 per pupil and then the individual school districts need to make up the rest.
The reason Colorado is near the top of my list is that on the US Dept of Labor website I came across a graph showing which states are cutting which services. Colorado was 1 of only 7 states that show they would not be cutting funding for K-12 and Higher education. (Of course they are cutting services in other areas)

I will grant to you however that the same chart does not show how much they are providing to begin with.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:09 PM

79 posts, read 288,185 times
the CO legislature voted to cut k-12 budgets 6.35%. CO is one of the worst states for K-12 funding as a percent of personal income (i.e. considering what Coloradians have they don't spend much on education.) The budget cuts have been a major discussion in all 178 school districts in CO this year.

"School districts in Colorado are shedding hundreds of jobs, pulling millions of dollars from reserves and piling on student fees as they face the biggest budget cuts in memory." the rest of the article can be found here: Historic budget cuts hammer districts | EdNewsColorado

Also look at COSFP which says, "Colorado spends $1,919 less per pupil than the national average. In 2003 Colorado spent $551 less than the national average. "

According to the CDE: Colorado public schools receive funding from a variety of sources. However, most revenues to Colorado's 178 school districts are provided through the Public School Finance Act of 1994 (as amended). In budget year 2009-10, this legislation provides for over $5.6 billion of funding to Colorado school districts via state taxes ($3.5 billion), local specific ownership (vehicle registration) taxes ($148 million), and local property taxes ($1.8 billion). Moneys provided via the Public School Finance Act of 1994 are available to each school district to fund the costs of providing public education.

However, Amend. 23 requires that Colorado increase what is spent on K12 education every yr (the voters wanted better K12) but the legislature decided that the increase only applies to the base funding per pupil. So when state revenue is down (way, way down) the money simply is not available. So districts will actually get less per pupil . . . beisdes Amend 23 was only for 10 years and was passed in 2002 and is set to expire.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellKing View Post
the CO legislature voted to cut k-12 budgets 6.35%. CO is one of the worst states for K-12 funding as a percent of personal income (i.e. considering what Coloradians have they don't spend much on education.) The budget cuts have been a major discussion in all 178 school districts in CO this year.
This is a good argument for home schooling

Worked for mine, I especially like the several state programs that allow the kids that pass college entrance exam to go to college for free instead of wasting their time in HS. Worked for mine II

EDU needs to be 'outsourced' to one of many developing countries who do it much better than WE. (Coming from a 'retired' CO teacher). Our whole family taught in CO, but also home schooled .

I'm kinda keen on one country that I lived where each teacher had 40 students from 7AM-12PM then another 40 students 1PM - 6 PM. Ironically, that country far excels the USA in scholastics. (and the teachers don't complain / strike .) It takes 1/2 the teachers / schools / buses / materials / desks / ADMINSTRATION

Old 06-16-2010, 08:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakyco View Post
The reason Colorado is near the top of my list is that on the US Dept of Labor website I came across a graph showing which states are cutting which services. Colorado was 1 of only 7 states that show they would not be cutting funding for K-12 and Higher education. (Of course they are cutting services in other areas)

I will grant to you however that the same chart does not show how much they are providing to begin with.
I cannot imagine where that data came from! Gov. Ritter just signed a bill allowing the U of CO to increase tution, owing to decreases in state funding. Others have addressed the K-12 situation well.

University officials say they need to raise tuition that much to help offset deep budget cuts from the state. Over the decade, state support for CU-Boulder has decreased 60 percent, while tuition has increased 156 percent for in-state students.

Read more: CU regents approve 9% tuition increase for in-state students - Boulder Daily Camera CU regents approve 9% tuition increase for in-state students - Boulder Daily Camera
DailyCamera.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: