Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 11:05 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,617,922 times

Advertisements

Pregnant Woman Hit By Car While Running From Bear

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP/CBS4) ―
Click to enlarge
Ashley Swendsen talks with CBS4's Jennifer Miller
CBS

Ashley Swendsen, 26, said she thought the bear followed her more out of curiosity than malice because it kept a distance of about 10 feet Thursday morning on a hiking trail between the Vincent Drive Bridge and Interstate 25.

As she ran, she thought, "If it was going to hurt me, it already would have."

Swendsen managed to scramble up an embankment and was crossing the street when she was hit by a slow-moving car. Although she was not seriously injured, she was taken to a hospital as a precaution because she was pregnant.

Police said they're looking for the driver of the car that hit Swendsen. The driver stopped and said a few words to her and then drove away without offering any help.

Swendsen said she first spotted the bear as it was coming out of a creek.

"I didn't know what to do, so I just kept walking," she said. "I wasn't going to start sprinting."

But she started running when the bear moved toward her.

The Colorado Division of Wildlife said the chase happened in an area where bears are common. Division spokesman Michael Seraphin said the brown-colored North American black bear was tranquilized and later euthanized after Swendsen identified it.

Swendsen said she was sad to hear about the bear's death.

"Yeah, because the bear spared me, and then it had to die," she said.

Swendsen, who is about five months pregnant, said she doesn't know the sex of her baby but will give it the middle name "Bear" whether it's a boy or a girl.

Link to Article: Pregnant Woman Hit By Car While Running From Bear - cbs4denver.com (http://cbs4denver.com/local/pregnant.woman.bear.2.992948.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 11:14 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,786,996 times
That's just a messed up story all around. That hit and run driver should have been the one euthanized.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:19 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,617,922 times
I am really sad about the bear put to sleep and it looked to be a cub btw. As the lady was running, I am for sure the 'bear' would of caught her if it wanted. I heavily doubt that this bear was going to harm her. More if any, she saw the bear and freaked and ran. It does seem that the bears are very close or is in the city. Looks like Parks and Wildlife needs to start moving these harmless fur balls back up into the hills.

RIP "bear" and I do hope they catch the lady that hit her. Also messed up that the other two cars behind the lady that hit her did not stop for aide.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:31 AM

18,024 posts, read 27,472,437 times
Didn't look like no cub to me. Maybe I saw it wrong. Those bears will eat your dooty off, so I'm not going to judge the pregnant lady for running and getting hit by a car. Bears have their instincts and pregnant ladies have theirs too.

It's too bad they couldn't take the bear way out somewhere safe or somewhere away from people... like someplace in Montana or Wyoming or something.

Here's another link here. I would really not want to be near a cub, either. Like as in between a cub and momma!

Old 04-24-2009, 12:17 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,989,173 times
I was very disappointed to hear that they euthanized the bear. I agree with McGowdog in that they should've tried to relocate it.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:22 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
I saw NO reason to euthanize that bear instead of relocating it. Fools. And now she's going to give her baby the middle name "Bear" to "honor" the bear? I'm sure the bear would rather have been "honored" by being allowed to live.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:23 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,440,947 times
I agree. This is really a shame. I don't see why they killed the bear... no reason as far as I can see. Maybe someone wanted a bear rug

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-24-2009, 02:23 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,219,298 times
Sad regarding the bear. Still, there is something cool about her choice to give her child the middle name "Bear" as a result of the incident.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:56 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,314,867 times
I'm on the bear's side of this one too.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:08 PM

18,024 posts, read 27,472,437 times

You ever skin a grizz?

As fast as you can catch em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado