Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:55 PM

50 posts, read 145,339 times

Advertisements

please tell me all about it, the good and bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 08:55 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,505 times
It's pricey and ritzy, more people do cocaine there than most other places. Everybody there loves a hike in to the Conundrum hot springs. It sure is pretty. Good skiing in the winter.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:02 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
The billionaires ran out the millionaires in Vail.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:55 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Aspen is the antithesis of Vail. Limo Liberals, trust fund babies and the craziest assortment of wackos and oddballs around. Extreme wealth and poverty. I remember sitting on a side street in Aspen a few years ago during the summer. The first person past is a dude barefoot, dirty, torn clothes, hair standing on end, skateboarding down the street with a half of jug of OJ(presumably mixed with something else). The second person past is a chick dressed to the nines with fur coat(this is august), hair done up, big boobs, make up, big jewels, walking a dog, perfectly coiffed and trimmed also with a jewel embossed collar. That should highlight the vast divide of personalities in Aspen.

In terms of living there, it's probably one of the most expensive places to live in the USA. Lots of drugs, some petty crime. Life there will be good if you have a lot of money. As a seasonal employee, it's like flophouse living and most likely you wont even live anywhere near Aspen.

Personally I like it better in summertime and the fall. It's most scenic then. Lot's of natural beauty there. Skiing can't hold up to Vail though.

In an odd way I do like it to a certain extent, but I could never get past the phony feeling it has and all the people trying to impress one another. If I had money I could think of 100's of other towns and places to go.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:52 AM

50 posts, read 145,339 times
lol ok from what you guys have mentioned i guess i will say no to aspen and stick with denver or spokane wa with now leaning more towards denver after seeing some pics

Old 11-18-2008, 02:02 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Spokane looks pretty cool. I was there for a day and would like to go again.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:15 PM

719 posts, read 2,618,220 times
"Personally I like it better in summertime and the fall. It's most scenic then. Lot's of natural beauty there. Skiing can't hold up to Vail though"

Thats strictly a matter of opinion. With powder, I prefer Ajax, Highlands, or Snowmass over Vail. Tops on my list is still the Taos Ski Valley, though.
Everyone here is right about the resort towns themselves-they're basically comprised of well monied folks from somewhere else. Basically an odd assortment of trustafarians, a FEW old hippies, and a transient work force.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:31 PM

687 posts, read 2,951,897 times
I'll never forget seeing remodeled singlewide mobilehomes in Aspen, in a park, rented land mind you.....for only 900,000.
Frankly, it ain't that pretty compared to other parts of the Rocky Mountains imo.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:53 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,056 times
It is the one place in Colorado that I would say, if you have to ask you can't afford it. That being said, I do know a public servant who got a job there and moved there with a spouse who worked for the ski industry, so I guess it can be done if you both get jobs. I think it would be worth it only if you were under 25 and expected to spend your life there, though.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:03 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,184 times
Aspen is beautiful. It's the people who make it suck. The whole place is full of phoneys, giving it the feel of a fabricated fantasyland with no soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado