Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 02:53 PM

14 posts, read 19,589 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

I am from IL. I have a two year old daughter and am getting married soon (I know I did it backwards but she was a God send). I am looking to get into the National Park Service and my fiance is a mechanic. We are looking to move to a small community. I have been looking at Cedaredge, montrose, delta area. Some things we are wanting in the new place are:

1. supportive community
2. place to teach child good morals (still seeking own religion, know what I want and believe but have not found the religion for me yet)
3. place with low crime rates and great education system
4. I do not want to be in HOT HOT desert (live in southern AZ for a bit, that was enough) I have to have trees and mountains (they make my depression disappear)
5. A place with plenty of recreational opportunities (fly fishing, camping, hiking, rock climbing, etc.)
6.place has to have some daycare or babysitters, they do not have to be licensed but someone i can meet and get to know before leaving my daughter with them

Also if you name a place and know of any places hiring, please let me know...we are wanting to find jobs and house before moving. We plan to move in 2 or 3 months.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it! Take Care All!

Last edited by lostmama; 03-07-2011 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 03:41 PM

331 posts, read 990,109 times
What do you consider a supportive community? My neighbor let me borrow a crowbar to get into my house when I locked myself outside, but I can't say that they would have lent a couch to crash on for the night or anything.

Your child will learn whatever morals you instill in him or her. I grew up in a shady, crime-ridden neighborhood, and I've never been convicted of felonies or anything. My parents were very strict and taught a strong moral system despite having several crack houses and a meth lab down the street. I think the low crime rates and great education system would make for an ideal place to teach good morals.

I've only spent 1 summer here, living on the front range at the time and driving west into the mountains at least once a week. It was never very hot. You'll also find plenty of recreational activities practically anywhere you go. When I was stuck in Denver, I'd ride on the bike path from time to time, but the mountains were just an hour's drive or less away.

I'm sure most places will have someone you can meet to babysit for you. Check Craigslist and screen very well, ask your neighbors that have kids, etc.
I've only stopped into IL for a short visit to Chicago, so I'm not sure what type of crime you're used to where you're from, but I've not lived or visited anywhere in CO that I didn't feel safe. Again though, I don't have kids, so that's probably irrelevant. However, I'm sure anywhere in CO will suit your needs.

The tougher part may be getting a job. I can't comment on park services, but know there aren't many mechanics out in Eagle County. I'm not sure if that's simply because no more are needed, or that there are just a lack of them. Denver would probably have more opportunities to work. Or if you're looking for a more religious area, check out Colo Springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado