Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 05:05 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times

Advertisements

I am on SSDI, but I have progressed to the point where I can do simple jobs. My SSDI is so low that I must depend on a housing voucher to help me get by. From my reading, it sounds like the voucher program will be cut sooner or later. My dream is to buy a used travel trailor and take a gig as a campground host somewhere.

I do have a job here in Cortez, but its only for 14 hours a week at minimum wage. And unemployment runs 13%. I have considered applying for work in nearby Durango but I feel at a disadvantage because in addition to my disability, I will be 60 in September. Not only does Durango have a very high cost of living, but it has plenty of young energetic people to snap up jobs.

I grew up in the Springs and know it well. I could probably find a reasonable place to live there, and there are more job opportunities. On the other hand, if those cuts go through, the military will feel the impact as well, and Colorado Springs will take a hit, being a big military town.

Any ideas where a person like me could go in Colorado to better my current position?

Thanks, my fellow Coloradans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 12:52 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Cortez and similar Colorado towns are probably dead ends.

I guess it depends on what job skills you have and what your disability allows you to do or not. The city of course is going to provide a lot more in the way of jobs and living options.

If you can operate a computer and like dealing with people, some of the big ski towns like Vail have a lot of front desk or night audit positions that come up for the winter and I know of a call center type job that deals with making reservations that is $13.00 an hour and also an opportunity to be full time. The housing will be more pricey, but opportunity to earn more as well.

Age doesn't matter, the company I worked for did have a lot of young people, but quite a few in their 60's and 70's. There was even a guy that was 85 and a WW2 vet back when I was there and another that was almost 80.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:31 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, Wanneroo! could you possibly pm me with the name of that call center?

Old 08-13-2011, 07:40 AM

839 posts, read 2,417,123 times
Well, I think the Springs would offer more opportunities. Pretty much all of my family is still there and they tell me there isn't a whole lot going on job wise, but pretty much anything has to be better than 14 hours a week at minumum wage......

Good luck! I sincerely hope things improve for you!

Old 08-13-2011, 08:46 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,118,051 times
You need to move where you can secure good paying and reliable employment so you can get off relying on the government. This includes even leaving Colorado if you must.

Sorry to hear about your situation, but Colorado, statistically, has had poor employment statistics(wages, unemployment, etc).

Old 08-13-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
You need to move where you can secure good paying and reliable employment so you can get off relying on the government.
I could not agree more. I fought tooth and claw against going on disability in the first place, but I got so sick, I had no choice. I hate, hate, hate depending on the government! My doctors tell me that I will never recover fully, so I'm going to have to accept some help, but I want to take care of myself as much as possible.

Quote:
This includes even leaving Colorado if you must.
Colorado is my home. I've lived here all my life. Things would have to be desperate indeed for me to leave.

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your situation, but Colorado, statistically, has had poor employment statistics(wages, unemployment, etc).
This is true of the small, rural areas where I live now, but the Front Range seems to be holding its own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado