Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,295 times

Advertisements

hey all this is my first post here. I currently live in socal, the southbay, Redondo Beach. I moved out here from Boston and suburbs of Boston 7 years ago. I'm ready to leave LA but i don't want to move back to the North East.

My current line of work is architecture and i am currently taking my architect registration exams and doing the intern program to get licensed. The company i am at now does a lot of high tech aerospace work. new buildings and laboratories and renovation for clients like northrop grumman and boeing.

how is the architecture job market in the cities out there for a new license architect? im 33 and have 11 years experience in architecture since graduating in 2001. i should be finished this year, hoping by summer then i want to make the move. that is all that is keeping me here, a good paying job where i can finish my exams and intern program.

the burdens and over crowded LA have me sick, although the beach is nice, i spend alot of time outdoors and in the mountains here, which is a pain in the ass to get anywhere with all the dam traffic here. how is the commute to the cities from areas like the foothills of the mountains. i would like to live as close or in the mountains/foothills, ideally.

Where is a good place to look for house rentals? right now i live in a one bedroom apartment so close to the beach, but i can hear my neighbors screwing all the time. i would looking to rent a house with garage, doesn't have to be single family but not an apartment building. im looking for space and privacy. i currently pay 1150 for a crappy apartment. is it possible to find a good place for that amount? is cragslist the best place to look for apartments?

i miss the seasons and snow. i have a jeep rubicon 4x4 so snow is not a problem for me, and i grew up in the NE so its not new to me either.

i have a friend from boston who moved to Vail recently. in a month or so i want to take a trip to visit CO. im planning on 3 days or so aound the cities to check it out, and then 2 in vail to do some snowboarding. if anyone has any recommendations on things to do, places to see while im there im all ears!

thanks for looking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 10:48 AM

930 posts, read 1,653,895 times
I remember reading somewhere on here that there are hundreds of applications for every architect job out here. You need to be very competitive with your schooling, and your extra certifications. My husband has applied for jobs with his Master's, his LEED certification, his AIA membership, his years experience, etc etc and gets passed over.

happily he has a great job and was just looking

Good luck.

Honestly, if you already have a good paying job, and knowing how fickle architecture is in this economy, I would suggest learning what you'd like about the area you currently live in and keep your current job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado