Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:27 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times

Advertisements

In rural Colorado, many of my relatives have lived with forms of HOA's in various mountain subdivisions with large acreage. They were/are simply too far from any town, so these organizations bond together to provide a source of water, utilities and things like snow plowing or security. And that makes sense, as it is basically like a township like agreement on a small scale basis.

But having them in urban subdivision home based neighborhoods when services such as plowing or water are already catered for by local government, all an HOA ends up being just a vehicle for busybodies and nosy people to harass their neighbors and bleed money off. I am sure there are many HOAs and people that mean well but I think it's just something that ends up abused by the wrong people. I've never heard of many people with positive experiences with urban HOA's. Personally to me the whole thing reeks of the Stasi and I'm not living under one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 12:14 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,455,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
The case they use as an example tells of a couple who haven't paid their $240.00 per year dues for nine years. How do you feel sorry for someone who refuses to cooperate with the rules?
Perhaps you could re-read the article. The article does NOT state that the homeowners have not paid for 9 years. The article points out that the dispute has been going on for 9 years.

These disputes are typically provoked for profit by the HOA management company, HOA attorney, and board members. The sole way that these vendors operate is to threaten homeowners with foreclosure in order to extort money from the homeowner for the benefit of the VENDOR.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:20 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Perhaps you could re-read the article. The article does NOT state that the homeowners have not paid for 9 years. The article points out that the dispute has been going on for 9 years.
Exactly what I was going to point out. Altho I have also heard of residents who withhold their payments because their HOA hasn't fulfilled their side of the contract.

I spent 4 months last year just trying to get the HOA to plant a shrub in front of my door and it still isn't there. It certainly is true that many HOA managers aren't the brightest bulbs. One of our previous managers told me not to worry about the mounds of dog poo on our grass as it was good for the soil .

Old 02-14-2012, 01:41 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
...These disputes are typically provoked for profit by the HOA management company, HOA attorney, and board members. The sole way that these vendors operate is to threaten homeowners with foreclosure in order to extort money from the homeowner for the benefit of the VENDOR.
That's total crap. Our HOA board members do not get a single penny from anything. Our management company gets a flat fee, no extras. The legal firm only gets paid a small amount for filing actions, serving notices, etc.

Our HOA saves the residents money....back east we paid $400/year for trash and recycling services, but our HOA here in COLO gets us that same exact level of service for $108/year since we buy the service on a community-wide basis and compete the contracts.

We reply to homeowners the same day and usually approve change requests within days.

I'm sure HOAs can vary widely; ours is quite well run, efficient and with lower dues than similar and larger HOAs nearby.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:58 PM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
I used to be not in favor of HOAs, but as I've lived in TH communities over the past 20 years, my view has changed.

The most immediate example...a new neighbor...up to 9 big piles of dog **** on the common area grass and sidewalk. Hogging visitor parking spaces.

So, HOA, here I come!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado