Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 02:21 PM

643 posts, read 2,054,427 times

Advertisements

This is a repost from the COS forum, I didn't realize I was posting to that specific of a forum. Oops.

My fiance and I are packing it up and getting the hell-o out of North Carolina. It's hot, humid, noisy, the roads make no sense, there's too many bugs, it doesn't snow enough and people are - despite the rumors - rude, the price of housing is going through the roof and what you get for the money is a box that looks just like your neighbors' generic box-house.

We're over it.

He has family in Phoenix and Tuscan, I have family in Los Angeles. We love the mountains, being outside, going to movies and walking our dogs. I love snow, he loves dry heat and mesquite trees.

I've been looking at maps and on this website as well as others and it seems to me that the actual mountains in CO are nature reserves or state parks et cetera - so you can't live in the mountains at all? Can you only get land up into the foot hills? We'd really like to live up on the peaks or as close to them as is reasonable.

I've looking to places like Canon City and Monument - though Durango seems to hold it's own appeal. I would kind of like to be close enough to Denver to drive there for special events that only go to big cities (I.E. Concerts, special movie screenings, ect), which Durango is definitely not. But, on the other side of it, Denver is SO far from Arizona, it would kind of defeat the purpose of being 'closer' to family.

Any suggestions anyone? Is there a dreamy, foggy-morning, snowy-winter, horse-trail-having promise land in Colorado?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 02:38 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
My fiance and I are packing it up and getting the hell-o out of North Carolina. It's hot, humid, noisy, the roads make no sense, there's too many bugs, it doesn't snow enough and people are - despite the rumors - rude, the price of housing is going through the roof and what you get for the money is a box that looks just like your neighbors' generic box-house.

We're over it.

He has family in Phoenix and Tuscan, I have family in Los Angeles. We love the mountains, being outside, going to movies and walking our dogs. I love snow, he loves dry heat and mesquite trees.

I've been looking at maps and on this website as well as others and it seems to me that the actual mountains in CO are nature reserves or state parks et cetera - so you can't live in the mountains at all? Can you only get land up into the foot hills? We'd really like to live up on the peaks or as close to them as is reasonable.

I've looking to places like Canon City and Monument - though Durango seems to hold it's own appeal. I would kind of like to be close enough to Denver to drive there for special events that only go to big cities (I.E. Concerts, special movie screenings, ect), which Durango is definitely not. But, on the other side of it, Denver is SO far from Arizona, it would kind of defeat the purpose of being 'closer' to family.

Any suggestions anyone? Is there a dreamy, foggy-morning, snowy-winter, horse-trail-having promise land in Colorado?
What line of work are you?
What is your housing price range?

I grew up in LA and now live in Monument. I like Monument because it is commutable to both the Springs and Denver jobs. Also, when I was looking for a place to live, I wanted to live in a good school district. Monument has good schools and commutable driving. It also has more intense winters too - more snow than the Springs or Denver. Fortunately, most of the snow falls in the spring and it melts pretty quick. Last year was really rough - especially for a recent California transplant.

The photos below were taken about a 3/4 mile hike above Palmer Lake, or about eight miles from my house.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:27 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,922,788 times
Quote:
But, on the other side of it, Denver is SO far from Arizona, it would kind of defeat the purpose of being 'closer' to family.

I agree with Charles. Monument is in an ideal location to access the mountains and the cities of Denver and Colorado Springs. Of course we both live here. We do get more 'dreamy, foggy-morning, snowy-winter' stuff than just about anywhere on the Front Range. No mesquite trees though.
Driving to PHX can be done in 1 long day. We drove to Havasu City, on the western border of AZ, in 13 hours.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:45 PM

638 posts, read 2,281,063 times
Canon City isn't very close to the mountains it sounds like you want, its hot and dry with pinons and junipers, not a lot of snow. I think Woodland Park is ideal for what you describe, it is in the mountains NW of Colorado Springs. Monument has the definite advantage of access to two large cities, whereas WP is only realistically close to the Springs. But since you didnt mention what you do for work I dont know what you need. Durango is gorgeous but expensive, and not near a major airport.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:54 PM

643 posts, read 2,054,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What line of work are you?
What is your housing price range?

We both work in retail, though I'm pretty sure we're both ready to make the move into something a little more 'grown up' and corporate. You know, with desks and computers and water coolers.

As for housing, we're not looking to buy anything. We're happy renting. That way, if it turns out to not be what we're expecting, we don't have this $400,000 ball and chain attached to us.

How is it for renting, though? Do you see a lot - or any - houses up for rent or lease? Or is it just rolling mile after mile of apartments, condos, townhomes or whatever other name they can make up for 'box'?

Old 09-28-2007, 08:37 PM

638 posts, read 2,281,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
We both work in retail, though I'm pretty sure we're both ready to make the move into something a little more 'grown up' and corporate. You know, with desks and computers and water coolers.

As for housing, we're not looking to buy anything. We're happy renting. That way, if it turns out to not be what we're expecting, we don't have this $400,000 ball and chain attached to us.

How is it for renting, though? Do you see a lot - or any - houses up for rent or lease? Or is it just rolling mile after mile of apartments, condos, townhomes or whatever other name they can make up for 'box'?
There is a lot for rent all over, far as I can tell. I know a lot of people who are having a hard time selling because of the housing market are renting their old houses out. The mountain areas tend not to be boxlike at all, in fact most homes are custom, even if in some strange ways. Like built as a cabin, then added on to several times, etc. Many others are huge new monstrosities. Huge range of options. Do a google search for Colorado homes for rent or something. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2007, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,241 times
Default re: Canon City

Canon City, the good: Great climate, fairly nice scenery, low taxes. The bad: too many prisons and the problems and attitudes that go along with them, ex cons who remain in the area, 43 registered sex offenders in a town of 16,000, really strange people who do not tolerate outsiders very well, city government that has no clue.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 4,184 times
btw, the '$400,000 ball and chain'....You can buy/build a very nice, upscale home for 1/2 that in this area, of course renting first is a better idea. ...The prison issue, I live a few miles to the east, but most say there is little daily impact, usually forget they are there, (other than the jobs ofcourse)--the sex offender statistic scares me I have to admit, I have no clue how that compares to other areas, but sounds like a lot. Alot of people commute, for the "water cooler-desk"-type jobs. The fact that there is less snow would be a good thing compared to other areas, but the nice thing is that you can have all the snow you want in many areas near by, w/ just a very short drive (heck, even in July, just drive up Pike's peak). I have no experience w/ the 'weird' people there, sure there are some, people who have always been there, don't like change, though I can't see them as your potential peers, if that makes any sense. My husband who is Hispanic said there was a lot of prejudicial/racial slurs shouted to them when traveling there to play their teams in high-school sports, though this was 20 years ago, may or may not be different now, dunno, or if it is any different than the other areas mentioned. The people I know from there are really great people.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:16 AM

5 posts, read 13,477 times
Everything I have heard about Canon City has been positive. This is the first chat I've seen with negative comments in regards to Sex Offenders. What is the word on this issue. Is it really an issue?

Old 10-15-2008, 08:31 AM

977 posts, read 1,956,803 times
I can't comment about the other 2 places, but Durango is very expensive, to buy or rent. You would be looking at at least $350k to buy, probably $1500-$2000/mo to rent. There are plenty of housing developments outside of Durango up into the mountains, but again you are looking at a lot of money. Not sure how much is available to rent out there.
Durango does get a decent amount of snow, but it melts quicker inside the city, whereas the in surrounding valleys it will stick around longer and accumulate more. It is on the edge of the Colorado/mountainous climate and the New Mexico/desert climate. It is pretty dry but doesn't get overly hot (pretty much never hits 100).
For special events, Durango is about 3½ hours from Albuquerque. Contrary to a previous statement, there is plenty of commercial air traffic in and out of Durango. US Airways, United, Delta, and Frontier all serve Durango with numerous daily flights to either Phoenix or Denver. I think Southwest flies in there in the winter months also.
If you are looking to get away from rude people, Durango would be a place to avoid. Most of Colorado for that matter. People in Durango are very stuck up, generally tend to hate outsiders and tourists, and are very ideological and intolerant. About 85% are liberal, a good deal of them tending to be radical, hippie-type extremists.
I have worked in Durango for about 2½ years (I live in Farmington, an hour south), and I would not choose Durango for myself, but that's because I have no money, hate the people there, and don't care about the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado