Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 02:24 PM

5 posts, read 6,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Is Skiing a priority to you? If so, the ski towns (Telluride, etc.) have much higher cost of living than the other mountain towns (like Estes Park). Also, you won't get a 'couple acres' of land in a ski town.

If skiing is not a priority, then check out towns in Teller county, the Arkansas Valley, Gunnison, Estes Park, or Red Feather Lakes.

It is not a priority, but I do enjoy outdoor recreation, both winter and summer. The acreage isn't a must either, it would just be nice. Think a cabin type lot. The structure does not necessarily have to be there either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Need to know more...
What do you want to do with your land?
If just "look at it"... much easier to live next to National Forest.
if you plan to USE IT, you need water (very hard to find)

How close to , internet / phone, job, shopping, airport, medical, activites, or civilzation?

If you are a hermit, MANY more options.

Why Colorado? (land costs and population pressure on Scenery is high) Many other choices for mtn beauty that will be MUCH cheaper than CO,

City within 1 hr.... I would look to areas around Salt Lake City (more jobs / mtn access in UTAH). Then, Montana, ID, SD (Rapid).

For CO, your choices are best centered around Colorado Springs. (it is MUCH closer to the Mtns than Denver. Boulder has had building restrictions since the 1960's driving properties too high. Glenwood Springs is NOT a larger city, but has MOST stuff. it is spendy as of late.

I'm thinking of it as a cabin property. Recreation and ideally living on it eventually. CO is not a must, but I've always loved it and I have family there. Glenwood Springs looks beautiful!

Old 02-14-2013, 03:13 PM

914 posts, read 2,207,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Woodland Park. Up UTE Pass from COLO SPGS. Should work....
You might like Woodland Park. It's setting places it on the most attractive side of Pikes Peak, which dominates the scenery. Out door recreation is readily available, except for skiing which is about 1 hour 45 min. away.

I also wondered if you had considered Leadville, Ouray, and - since you mention it - Glenwood Springs. There are some wonderfully scenic areas close in to Durango both up toward Silverton and to the northeast out in the county.

No place is "perfect", of course. That does not mean you cannot find a place you will like.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel2011 View Post
I'm thinking of it as a cabin property. ...!
for cabin & eventually there are some REAL bargains in the "EverBROWN" forested areas, such as Grand Lake. HOPEFULLY in 20 - 30 yrs there will be some new forests, but don't count on it. Has significantly continued to BROWN for last 40 yrs.

Look for Beetle kill forests on google... CO has plenty. Sad but true... (still GREEN and forested in the PNW)

Old 02-14-2013, 07:49 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
I am hoping to move to a mountain town sometime in the next few years, preferably in Colorado but that is not a requirement. I would really like to be IN the mountains, not just on the outskirts, though I do love Boulder. Nothing too small, or at least something within an hour of a bigger city. Living cost isn't a giant consideration at this point. The main requirement here is lots of natural beauty and a place where I could get a small parcel of land, maybe a couple acres. I am open to the Southwest and towns further north too! I thought this would be a good place to get some opinions. I am considering Estes Park, Frisco, Boulder, and Telluride, in that order, but other suggestions and advice are welcome!
A city is going to be an issue as once you go west of the I-25 population blob, the only real city for 400 miles between Denver and Salt Lake City is Grand Junction. So if you have to be near a city that will cut down the options.

Boulder is not a mountain town. Mountain towns to me are actually in "the mountains". Just because you can see the mountains doesn't qualify to me.

Probably to meet your needs, there is a lot of opportunity for a house with a few acres between Estes Park and down to Blackhawk.

Frisco is a ski town service town. It's not bad, but you will not find isolated parcels of land nearby.

Telluride is very isolated. You are hours from any city.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:51 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
I'm thinking of it as a cabin property. Recreation and ideally living on it eventually. CO is not a must, but I've always loved it and I have family there. Glenwood Springs looks beautiful!
Glenwood Springs is nice. It has enough services to get by. However it's high desert, especially on the west end of town, which might not be your thing. The Hwy 82 corridor between Glenwood and Aspen is nice, but bring big money.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:26 PM

40 posts, read 88,830 times
I think you should look at the Evergreen/Conifer area. It's close to Denver but has beautiful scenery and housing like you are seeking.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:18 PM

403 posts, read 759,755 times
I agree that the Evergreen, Conifer, Pine, Bailey area would be a good fit for you. Within an hour of Denver and beautiful mountain scenery. Best of both worlds!

Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Town of Granby, Colorado*

Old 02-15-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkschiff View Post
I think you should look at the Evergreen/Conifer area. It's close to Denver but has beautiful scenery and housing like you are seeking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
I agree that the Evergreen, Conifer, Pine, Bailey area would be a good fit for you. Within an hour of Denver and beautiful mountain scenery. Best of both worlds!
This sounds like an interesting location that would work well for me. I will explore this, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado